Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2011, 01:13 AM

33,532 posts, read 37,132,711 times

Advertisements

A few hundred years age almost everyone believed that the sun orbited the earth...The majority was wrong.

A few hundred years ago most people believe that illness was caused by bad humors in the body...The majority was wrong.

A few hundred years ago most people believed in witches...After killing many "witches" they realized that they were wrong...

A couple of hundred years ago the majority thought that malaria was caused by bad air...Hence the name...The majority was wrong.

Not so long ago most people thought that women were not equal to men....Boy, were they ever wrong on that one!

So stick to your argument for the majority if you like, if that is all you have in your arsenal, but just bear in mind that you are probably wrong.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2011, 10:09 AM

12,595 posts, read 6,649,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
A few hundred years age almost everyone believed that the sun orbited the earth...The majority was wrong.

A few hundred years ago most people believe that illness was caused by bad humors in the body...The majority was wrong.

A few hundred years ago most people believed in witches...After killing many "witches" they realized that they were wrong...

A couple of hundred years ago the majority thought that malaria was caused by bad air...Hence the name...The majority was wrong.

Not so long ago most people thought that women were not equal to men....Boy, were they ever wrong on that one!

So stick to your argument for the majority if you like, if that is all you have in your arsenal, but just bear in mind that you are probably wrong.
It's all one needs in their "arsenal" to WIN Bro. You need to get hip to that!

You think "being right" is what matters...and you are WRONG about that.
What REALLY matters...is WHAT PEOPLE BELIEVE MATTERS.

Let me 'splain it to ya sans...so maybe you'll "get it"...I'll use this analogy:
Regardless of all the scientific meteorological evidence against it...I have most people BELIEVING FOR SURE that it is going to snow 2 feet tomorrow in NY City, USA.
Now...how is the FACT that it isn't going to snow at all, let alone two feet, going to effect shovel sales if most people believe it's going to snow 2 feet anyway?
See what I mean now?

It doesn't matter if Theists are wrong and Atheists are right...or if Atheists are wrong and Theists are right...as respects the effect on the world that 98% of the people that have ever lived embraced Theism!
That a small minority are NonBelievers doesn't mean squat, even if they were/are totally "right"! The FACT that the vast majority DID/DO believe GUARANTEES what they believe IS going to matter!

Try telling the people that were in the WTC on 9-11-2001 that, "It doesn't matter what the Muslims believe, because the Atheists are absolutely sure they are wrong".
And I bet the guy that owns the matzo distributorship during Passover thinks it matters what the Jews believe...regardless of the Atheist determination of their belief lacking accuracy or merit.

Answer this, then just maybe you will understand: What would you rather have as your income this year---The money spent printing and distributing copies of the Bible, copies of the Quran, or copies of Hawkings books?

Sometimes what is "right" will also be the most popular...and then it will carry "super mojo". Like "Belief in God" does. HaHaHaHaHa!
But, in the contest of "What is Right VS What is the Most Popular"...What is the Most Popular will win 999 times out of 1000.
And I REALLY like to win!

Old 11-23-2011, 12:05 PM

3,335 posts, read 2,985,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GldnRule View Post

Let me 'splain it to ya sans...so maybe you'll "get it"...I'll use this analogy:
Regardless of all the scientific meteorological evidence against it...I have most people BELIEVING FOR SURE that it is going to snow 2 feet tomorrow in NY City, USA.
Now...how is the FACT that it isn't going to snow at all, let alone two feet, going to effect shovel sales if most people believe it's going to snow 2 feet anyway?
See what I mean now?

It doesn't matter if Theists are wrong and Atheists are right...or if Atheists are wrong and Theists are right...as respects the effect on the world that 98% of the people that have ever lived embraced Theism!
That a small minority are NonBelievers doesn't mean squat, even if they were/are totally "right"! The FACT that the vast majority DID/DO believe GUARANTEES what they believe IS going to matter!

Try telling the people that were in the WTC on 9-11-2001 that, "It doesn't matter what the Muslims believe, because the Atheists are absolutely sure they are wrong".
And I bet the guy that owns the matzo distributorship during Passover thinks it matters what the Jews believe...regardless of the Atheist determination of their belief lacking accuracy or merit.

Answer this, then just maybe you will understand: What would you rather have as your income this year---The money spent printing and distributing copies of the Bible, copies of the Quran, or copies of Hawkings books?

Sometimes what is "right" will also be the most popular...and then it will carry "super mojo". Like "Belief in God" does. HaHaHaHaHa!
But, in the contest of "What is Right VS What is the Most Popular"...What is the Most Popular will win 999 times out of 1000.
Golden Rule; Do unto others as you would have them do unto you.

Old 11-23-2011, 01:04 PM

40,050 posts, read 34,597,244 times
I wonder why what 9 in 10 Americans believe is supposed to carry more weight than what 9 in 10 people from anywhere else believe. (Oh wait...it's because we're more important than they are, right?)

Old 11-23-2011, 02:51 PM

939 posts, read 1,024,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinylly View Post
More Than 9 in 10 Americans Continue to Believe in God

Hmmm... That leaves Athiests to be still a small minority.
I guess there is some hope for the intellectual future of our country if 90% of the people have SOME common sense...

Old 11-23-2011, 05:43 PM

13,933 posts, read 12,893,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GldnRule View Post

See what I mean now?

Is that all that is important to you? Winning? Oh boy,your here for all the wrong reasons.

Personaly, I would rather stand alone in what I believe to be RIGHT rather than join in with the ignorance of the masses.

Quote:
God makes for good business in desparate times, thats for sure. I was at my aunts just today and was looking over some papers they gave her at her church { which hold services in the backroom of an elementary school } And they were showing the total amount of donations for that month. In september alone that church took in over 16,000 dollars.....{ not kidding }

Needless to say, that has me seriously considering quiting my job and going to ministry school. { not seriously.... }

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
Sorry about that, but it's too late now for me to edit the post that GldnRule made...Not you.

Thats ok, I was hoping a mod would fix it.

Old 11-23-2011, 06:06 PM

11,446 posts, read 16,183,316 times
Believing something to be true does not make it true...except for christians.

Old 11-23-2011, 07:09 PM

3,335 posts, read 2,985,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Visvaldis View Post
Believing something to be true does not make it true...except for christians.
And Atheists

Old 12-14-2011, 07:34 AM

87 posts, read 120,267 times
More than 90% of Americans believe in God (Much higher than most of Europe and other industrial nations)

~ 80% are Christians
~ 2% are Jewish
~ 1% Muslims
~ 15% not afflicated with religion (1.6% atheist)
~ 2% others

IN GOD WE TRUST

Old 12-14-2011, 08:31 AM

40,050 posts, read 34,597,244 times
Here's a wild notion: suppose the other 10% are actually right?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality