Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Does Bible Reading cause people to leave Christianity?
No 10 19.23%
Yes 34 65.38%
I don't know 4 7.69%
What is the bible? 4 7.69%
Voters: 52. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2011, 11:53 AM

15,501 posts, read 17,078,401 times

Advertisements

Just curious. Reading another post about a Christian who converted to Judaism was an avid Bible Student. Yet left Christianity. On a personal note, somewhat the same happened with me.

Looking back the Catholic church discouraged the reading of the Bible for a long part of it's history.

Old 11-20-2011, 12:12 PM

37,337 posts, read 28,293,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodrow LI View Post
Just curious. Reading another post about a Christian who converted to Judaism was an avid Bible Student. Yet left Christianity. On a personal note, somewhat the same happened with me.

Looking back the Catholic church discouraged the reading of the Bible for a long part of it's history.
Depends how you read it.

I believe it troubles everyone who reads it literally. I believe there is a message in it beyond the ink for all who read it with an open heart and not literally. The message beyond the ink, is one of life and peace that will cause our life be like a tree planted by a river that brings forth fruit in it's season and to prosper .

Old 11-20-2011, 12:20 PM

5,544 posts, read 8,316,296 times
I recently finished read the bible from front to back and it gave me a new refreshed perspective of the awesome wonderful nature of the Lord. It did not in anyway make me change my beliefs but it did give me an appreciation of other Judeo Christian beliefs.

Gotta say, the prophets bogged me down considerably but when you look at the whole and the repetition it was worth it.

Old 11-20-2011, 12:32 PM

13,640 posts, read 24,509,987 times
Tough question Woodrow..I don't know why people leave Christianity..I think there are probably as many reasons as there are dropouts..

In my case, I dropped out of mainstream Christianity and do not carry any label of any denomination within Christianity for many reasons...

Christianity has divided itself into cliques, sects, and denominations..They have separated Christ [the son God] from the Father and made Him God ,and then made God in their image, giving Him human thoughts, feelings, desires, and even hates. They say there is one path to God and it is "their" [insert any denomination or non denomination] path

I certainly think some the bible in important spiritually for my self..There is much wisdom in the Proverbs, the Psalms and in the three year ministry of Jesus..

I have a deeper, more spiritual relationship and understanding of God,the creator now. I know that each of us must walk our own path towards him and be willing to walk along a ways with everyone else on their paths to understand the message that we are all brothers and sisters of many different colors, cultures and lifestyles but we are all His children and are seeking our way home..

Old 11-20-2011, 12:40 PM

15,501 posts, read 17,078,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Blue View Post
Tough question Woodrow..I don't know why people leave Christianity..I think there are probably as many reasons as there are dropouts..

In my case, I dropped out of mainstream Christianity and do not carry any label of any denomination within Christianity for many reasons...

Christianity has divided itself into cliques, sects, and denominations..They have separated Christ [the son God] from the Father and made Him God ,and then made God in their image, giving Him human thoughts, feelings, desires, and even hates. They say there is one path to God and it is "their" [insert any denomination or non denomination] path

I certainly think some the bible in important spiritually for my self..There is much wisdom in the Proverbs, the Psalms and in the three year ministry of Jesus..

I have a deeper, more spiritual relationship and understanding of God,the creator now. I know that each of us must walk our own path towards him and be willing to walk along a ways with everyone else on their paths to understand the message that we are all brothers and sisters of many different colors, cultures and lifestyles but we are all His children and are seeking our way home..
I believe my experiences were to some degree similar to yours. the simple thing is I discovered that few Christians actually followed Jesus(as). For a long time after that I could not quite decide if I was agnostic or atheist so called myself a Buddhist. Pacified friends and relatives anyhow, they could accept a Buddhist but wanted no parts of an Agnostic or Atheist. Have no idea what they would think of my accepting Islam, as I am the oldest surviving member of my family and the youngsters don't dare say anything derogatory about me.

Old 11-20-2011, 01:44 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,531,593 times
It should.

To realize that people believe the tall tales from this bronze age comic book is really disturbing.

My reaction to these people is like the old joke where two good old boys find themselves at a snake handling church service, and when the poisonous snakes are brought one asks his friend "where's the back door" to which his friend replied "they don't have one" to which the first guy says "wonder where they want one, cause I'm outta here".

Old 11-20-2011, 01:53 PM

33,536 posts, read 37,140,220 times
Reading the bible was the first step that brought me to my final decision. I then studied various other religions searching for a reason to believe any of them, but my need to believe was not strong enough to accept myths as reality.

Old 11-20-2011, 01:59 PM

5,984 posts, read 13,415,339 times
Reading the Bible played a major role in my deconversion from Christianity to atheism.

Old 11-20-2011, 11:38 PM

24,621 posts, read 19,165,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcamps View Post
Depends how you read it.
Well, I wouldn't disagree there. I did action blocking for all four gospels, and then after seeing the hundreds of contradictions and inconsistencies, did location blocking, then individual blocking and with thousands of error, just realized it was a wild fantasy.

As I often say, as a prosecutor, there's no way I could ever put the four alleged gospel writers on the witness stand, because they would do nothing but contradict each other and confuse the jury.

Old 11-20-2011, 11:50 PM

17,717 posts, read 13,536,243 times
It helped that's for sure. From the killings of the OT to the sending of people to hell in the NT. Of course many Christians might state that I didn't read it with an open heart, or that I read it wrong & didn't dig deep enough. With that said reading the bible wasn't the only reason I walked away from being a Christian.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality