Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2011, 09:48 AM

2,505 posts, read 2,326,190 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post
I suspect gallop polls aren't conducted in prisons.

Any fact can be buried if you heap enough unrelated data on top of it, which is obviously your motivation here.
Actually I am pointing out that exact same thing with your OP and the statistics you posted. You can make all the claims you want, but until I see an actual report or you can give show us how your demographic maps have any relation the the other... I will assume your op was a troll post. Your post has entered you into the realm of burden of proof. You are making a positive claim that crime and religion go hand in hand. Prove it using data that actually has a relation.

Cut and past demographics and statistics would get you a fail in any business or statistics class.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2011, 09:51 AM

16,294 posts, read 28,526,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by raison_d'etre View Post
Actually I am pointing out that exact same thing with your OP and the statistics you posted. You can make all the claims you want, but until I see an actual report or you can give show us how your demographic maps have any relation the the other... I will assume your op was a troll post. Your post has entered you into the realm of burden of proof. You are making a positive claim that crime and religion go hand in hand. Prove it using data that actually has a relation.

Cut and past demographics and statistics would get you a fail in any business or statistics class.
I used straight forward data, you heaped on a bunch of unrelated data, and claimed it more accurate because it was county by county, which only obscures the trends, your desired goal. You are attempting to put so many trees in the way that the forest cannot be seen. Your methodology is as transparent as your desperation to support your superstitious belief system.

Old 11-22-2011, 09:52 AM

Quote:
A natural morality vs. a fear based method of controlling behavior.

Johnny, eat your peas, or no desert and straight to bed if you don't, differs very little from "follow these rules or your will burn in hell forever and ever and ever.
What about do this or you will go to jail or dont do this or you will go to jail? These are the moral standards you claim you do so because it is the right thing to do and nothing is telling you to do it. The difference is that not only do the religious follow the laws and morals of man, but they follow the law and morals of their faith. When you fail to follow the law and morals of man, you get punished by the law or by your peers, when a religious person fails to follow the law and morals of man or the faith, the consequence in greater.

Old 11-22-2011, 09:55 AM

Quote:
What about do this or you will go to jail or dont do this or you will go to jail? These are the moral standards you claim you do so because it is the right thing to do and nothing is telling you to do it. The difference is that not only do the religious follow the laws and morals of man, but they follow the law and morals of their faith. When you fail to follow the law and morals of man, you get punished by the law or by your peers, when a religious person fails to follow the law and morals of man or the faith, the consequence in greater.
You're changing the subject, or due to your fear based morality, that is all you see and understand, and don't have a clue what morality is, as here you equate it merely to "following the rules"............ as useless as teats on a boar hog.

Old 11-22-2011, 09:58 AM

Quote:
I used straight forward data, you heaped on a bunch of unrelated data, and claimed it more accurate because it was county by county, which only obscures the trends, your desired goal. You are attempting to put so many trees in the way that the forest cannot be seen. Your methodology is as transparent as your desperation to support your superstitious belief system.
How was any of your data straight forward? How do those demographic maps have any relation with the other? Now, if you say did a study of crime and the religious affiliation of the suspect, ok. But to take three or four unrelated demographic maps and claim they have any correlation is not only bad statistics, but it is misleading and only serves your own goal, that goal is to make religious people look like criminals.

How does breaking down to county obscure the trend? If anything it shows more of a factual report. I am attempting to show how bad statistics can be misleading. My methodology is based off an almost finished degree in business, one where you need to completed several courses that involve using demographics and statistical data to help you show a trend.

Old 11-22-2011, 10:01 AM

Quote:
You're changing the subject, or due to your fear based morality, that is all you see and understand, and don't have a clue what morality is, as here you equate it merely to "following the rules"............ as useless as teats on a boar hog.
umm, look up moral sometime. It actually does mean following the rules in this case. And I am not the one who changed the subject. Nice try though...

Edit: thought I would make it clear that the OP was stating that the religious are more criminal, aka immoral. The OP associated morals with crime, aka following the rules or law.

Old 11-22-2011, 10:05 AM

Quote:

Edit: thought I would make it clear that the OP was stating that the religious are more criminal, aka immoral. The OP associated morals with crime, aka following the rules or law.
Nope, that religious morality ............. isn't effective.

Old 11-22-2011, 10:08 AM

2,332 posts, read 2,839,366 times
Quote:

Read Plato's Crito; plus the excellent commentary by ex-U. of T. professor, Reginald E. Allen, c. 1984.

The Crito presents not demonstration, but dialectic. ... but when dialectic has been carried as far as possible, one must act on the... the right ought to be

Old 11-22-2011, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Nope, that religious morality ............. isn't effective.
... Based on crime rates. Aka following the law. Now what your demographic maps fail to show is the population cluster that is the bible belt. Now if we take the whole population of the US and their religious beliefs it make up the majority, note that just because someone claims to belong to a religion does not mean they practice the beliefs associated with it. My Brother claims to be Catholic, but he goes to church maybe once or twice a year, doesn't read the bible, and doesn't really know much about his claimed religion at all. Obviously most criminals disregard the rules, a disregard for rules would not limit itself to the laws and morals of man.

Old 11-22-2011, 11:56 AM

The data is per capita, get someone to explain that to you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality