Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2011, 06:22 AM

37,337 posts, read 28,289,070 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aganusn View Post
I asked god to make me an atheist.
Did you get what you asked for ? .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2011, 06:52 AM

4,883 posts, read 6,211,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
Agreed . . . but believing Him IS the road to spiritual maturity (whether or not you even know of Him). It is His path (Way) that is the truth . . . "love God and each other." (They are one and the same).
This is what true spirituality should be...it's been taught by countless masters...and largely ignored by the majority who claim any religion. Just saying...

IMHO...alot of prayers could be answered simply by human beings being the spiritual beings they were meant to be by LOVING THEIR NEIGHBOR AS THEY LOVE THEIRSELVES. In loving others this way...we serve each other to the best of our abilities.

Old 11-28-2011, 06:59 AM

28,353 posts, read 16,379,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodrow LI View Post
I agree with your definition of a professing Christian and that some if not many left Christianity for Atheism. but, not everybody who leaves Christianity becomes an atheist, although for a while that was an intermediate stop for me. Some of us do return to theism, but not as Christians.

I sometimes wonder if a person would become an atheist if they had never been exposed to Christianity. It almost seems that being a devout Christian has become a prerequisite for becoming an Atheist.

I suspect that many if not most atheists who post here are former Christians and probably very much professing Christians by your definition of such.

FWIW, Woodrow, I was never even near being devout. I was raised in a nominally Methodist household. Never attended church with any regularity, didn't say "Grace" before family dinner every night, etc.

Religion and theism just never made much sense to me, even at a relatively young age - that certainly hasn't changed, yet.

Old 11-28-2011, 10:25 AM

2,472 posts, read 3,197,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcamps View Post
Did you get what you asked for ? .
Yep.

Old 11-28-2011, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aganusn View Post
Yep.
Hey as long as you are happy that he made you an atheist then that is all that matters. Is there anything else he did for you or you fancy him doing for you ?.

Old 11-28-2011, 10:36 AM

23,173 posts, read 26,194,030 times
Quote:
Hey as long as you are happy that he made you an atheist then that is all that matters. Is there anything else he did for you or you fancy him doing for you ?.
Not directed at me but...yeah!
Make everyone else atheists too!

Old 11-28-2011, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
Well ask Aganusn to ask for you

Old 11-28-2011, 10:42 AM

9,616 posts, read 12,916,589 times
Default Oh Lord, please honor my one true prayer request, would'jah, huh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
Oh... but please.... not by some lightning-bolt-struck mandated means for sure, old_cold! Hows'bout having Him truly open the curious and unbiased eyes and minds of everyone who just currently simply rote-believes in Him?

(Now, truly, I'm not sure why He, in His Infinite Glory-Seeking Egotism, would ever do such a self-destructive thing, but as long as we're asking for unlikely things, why not, huh?)

Old 11-28-2011, 10:46 AM

664 posts, read 855,605 times
wow, you guys are really sarcastic!

Old 11-28-2011, 10:56 AM

2,472 posts, read 3,197,786 times
Quote:
Yeah, there are a surprising number of people who still believe in "Him" that unfortunately have the power to enact legislation. Also, there are literally thousands of children that die everyday due to the malicious acts of other humans, some who also believe in "Him". If he could actually do some work, that would be stupendous.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality