Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2011, 07:13 PM

3,483 posts, read 4,033,251 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Visvaldis View Post
The religious ones are systematic. The parents justify the child abuse with religion.
Child abuse can also be treatment at Jesus Camp.

Okay, I have known about parents who justify it because of drinking.
Let's make some threads about that one. Or do we have some drinkers on these forums?
I've known parents to abuse their children out of sexual perversion - anyone have a problem with this?
I've known of parents who abused children because of a bad mood...

I guess the only child abuse that matters is the abuse committed by religious folks? Ban religion - solve the world-wide child abuse problem? Okay...

Hey - I know a solution. It's a common one my neighbor puts forth frequently: rather than letting a child be born into a family that doesn't really want him/her, because they refused to wear condoms and don't wish to be responsible, let's spare the child some pain by murdering him in the womb. That'll fix any child abuse in THAT family, right? Excellent idea, neighbor! It's a rather common justification for abortion, so there shouldn't be a problem with this approach.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2011, 07:15 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,489,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Visvaldis View Post
The religious ones are systematic. The parents justify the child abuse with religion.
Child abuse can also be treatment at Jesus Camp.
Anyone who beats or kills a child, much less for God, is at best seriously misguided and at worst completely mentally unstable.

Sadly, many things are done in God's name by people who don't truly know him.

Old 11-26-2011, 07:18 PM

15,501 posts, read 17,023,829 times
It is all about ownership. Some humans have a latent desire to own other people. The easiest ones to own are children and proof of ownership is in how much they can abuse them. Abuse=control=ownership

I guess some people never learn that to love a child means to release them from our desire to enslave them and to accept them as fellow humans. To deliberatly place a mark on a child is inexcusable and no earthly punishment is severe enough to pay for it.

Old 11-26-2011, 07:19 PM

3,483 posts, read 4,033,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
Anyone who beats or kills a child, much less for God, is at best seriously misguided and at worst completely mentally unstable.

Sadly, many things are done in God's name by people who don't truly know him.

And using a biased sample (a mentally unstable individual who happens to be relgious) to get results is not the best way to approach a problem, or even get an accurate picture of it.

Child Abuse, I think we can all agree, is probably morally wrong. I wonder who started the modern movement to curb child abuse? Anyone know?

Old 11-26-2011, 07:32 PM

15,501 posts, read 17,023,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whoppers View Post
I wonder who started the modern movement to curb child abuse? Anyone know?
It seems to have developed as an offshoot of the machine age and a reduced need for child labor. Childhood as we know it in the Western world began in the 1900s.

Oddly in very primitive societies, children were allowed to be children. Child abuse seems to have been a development of civilization. Laws to stop it are new in terms of history.

Quote:
The first case of child abuse that caught public attention in the United States occurred in 1874. Neighbors of Mary Ellen, a nine-year-old child in New York City, contacted a church social worker, Etta Angell Wheeler, when they heard disturbances from the little girl's tenement ("The Story of Mary Ellen," American Humane Association, http://www.americanhumane.org/site/PageServer?pagename=wh_mission_maryellen_wheeler (broken link) [accessed November 23, 2004]).
Upon investigating the child's home, the social worker found her suffering from malnutrition, serious physical abuse, and neglect. Mary Ellen was living with Mary and Francis Connolly. The girl, who was said to be the illegitimate daughter of Mrs. Connolly's first husband, was apprenticed to the couple.
At that time there were laws protecting animals, but no local, state, or federal laws protected children. Consequently, Wheeler turned to the American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals (ASPCA) for help. The case was presented to the court on the theory that the child was a member of the animal kingdom and therefore entitled to the same protection from abuse that the law gave to animals. The court agreed, and the child, because she was considered an animal, was taken from her brutal foster mother.

SOURCE

Old 11-26-2011, 07:38 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,470,166 times
Quote:
Lovely little jibes at religious mistreatment of children, but it still stands that it's not just limited to religion - and showing a few extreme examples are just cheap tactics. Mother squishes baby with Bible in mouth? Oh nice, Asheville Native - I wouldn't expect anything else from you.
Hey, I didn't kill the baby, the whack job mother and her religious beliefs did it. I suspect that if you looked back into her childhood she was also abused in the name of religion.

Superstition based willful ignorance is a family value that needs to end.

Old 11-26-2011, 07:43 PM

2,331 posts, read 2,834,267 times
Quote:
Okay, I have known about parents who justify it because of drinking.
Let's make some threads about that one. Or do we have some drinkers on these forums?
I've known parents to abuse their children out of sexual perversion - anyone have a problem with this?
I've known of parents who abused children because of a bad mood...

I guess the only child abuse that matters is the abuse committed by religious folks? Ban religion - solve the world-wide child abuse problem? Okay...

Hey - I know a solution. It's a common one my neighbor puts forth frequently: rather than letting a child be born into a family that doesn't really want him/her, because they refused to wear condoms and don't wish to be responsible, let's spare the child some pain by murdering him in the womb. That'll fix any child abuse in THAT family, right? Excellent idea, neighbor! It's a rather common justification for abortion, so there shouldn't be a problem with this approach.
Religion shouldn't be banned because ethics of Virtues would turn to marriage probes. VIcious circle you see. Having children is important to the morally approved love relation, a contradiction if one wants to consume the wedding without even basic blood tests as well as willing Sin.

Old 11-26-2011, 08:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgnostic View Post
Religion shouldn't be banned because ethics of Virtues would turn to marriage probes. VIcious circle you see. Having children is important to the morally approved love relation, a contradiction if one wants to consume the wedding without even basic blood tests as well as willing Sin.
Banning it would only drive it underground and create more fanaticism, like proabition and many other things governments have attempted to regulate.

Religion will fall out of favor as reason and knowledge allow more and more people to recognize the bronze age ignorance it represents.

Old 11-26-2011, 08:48 PM

2,331 posts, read 2,834,267 times
You have too many syntax and spelling mistakes for me to follow the development of your writing. You should also do more research into the sources of you ideas.

Just my understanding of why the subject has lost the criminal failure in a foreign world. Are you a sports reporter?

Old 11-26-2011, 09:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgnostic View Post
You have too many syntax and spelling mistakes for me to follow the development of your writing. You should also do more research into the sources of you ideas.

Just my understanding of why the subject has lost the criminal failure in a foreign world. Are you a sports reporter?
WOW, coming from the person that posts babble 99% of the time. Not sure what your native language is, but it's clearly not English.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality