Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2011, 05:10 PM

7,581 posts, read 6,044,145 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewdrop93 View Post
Yeah! It's not like the "Christmas police" are going to burst into your home and tear down your tree and decorations if you aren't celebrating it "correctly." I guess I don't understand all the concern about how others celebrate the holiday. Like I said - who cares?

Many years ago, I actually had a group of religious losers (associated with my ex-inlaws) call and try to tell me that I should not celebrate Christmas because their was no Biblical basis for it.
I told them to go to you-know-where and where they could put it, alhtough I did use the more slang term for "Alimentary Canal"

I just realized that SOLSTACE will be on Wed the 21st, so I will have to get the Fire Pit and some meaty carnivorous morsals lined up for that nigth as well.

Festivus is usually celebrated on the 23rd. That being Friday night, drinking is in order as well.

Of course here our Christmas Celebration lasts all of the 24th and 25th

Then
KWANZAA is on the 26th Never done that one. probably because I am too exhausted by then to set up more candles.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2011, 05:30 PM

10,195 posts, read 6,264,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred314X View Post
Thank you!

By the way, I've done that at work; I'm Jewish, and anyone who was ever willing to cover for me on Yom Kippur had the favor returned on Christmas Day.
If you have children in the NYC public school system, they will get BOTH Jewish and Christian Holidays off.

You have to know that there has to be families in the NY public school system who celebrate NEITHER.

Old 12-04-2011, 05:33 PM

9,341 posts, read 29,605,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo48 View Post
If you have children in the NYC public school system, they will get BOTH Jewish and Christian Holidays off.
NYC public schools are closed on some, not all, Jewish Holy Days as a safety issue because too many administrators and teachers will be out on those days.

Old 12-04-2011, 07:12 PM

8,396 posts, read 9,421,778 times
Default CHRISTmas is a Christian holiday !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hazme View Post
You keep hearing by many people, especially atheist & non-believers that Christmas is not a Christian holiday, mainly because they still celebrate it and think that its roots comes from pegans, which is not true.

Now many people might think - What does Santa, Christmas tree, Christmas lights, Gingerbread, gifts, colors red & green etc. have to do with the birth of Christ?

Well, all decorations and celebrations have actually something to do with Christmas and birth of Christ.

First of all, we decorate for the holiday because it's for Christmas, not for any other holiday or just because it's end of the year.

The only truth about Christmas is that Jesus Christ' actual birth might not have been Dec 25, but it's approx. during that time calculated and it's decided to celebrate that day.

`````````````````````````````````````````````````` ```````````
Christmas - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Please read it before saying it's a secular/pegan holiday!

I love the article written and it's mentioning every single decoration and what is symbolize Christ.

The midwinter celebration predates xmas by thousands of years. The fact that some long forgotten pope from the dark ages decided to grab it and "christianize" it doesn't change that rreality.

Celebrate it as a Christian festival if you wish. Millions of us will observe it for what it's been for millenia longer.

Christmas' Pagan Origins

Old 12-05-2011, 02:08 AM

3,261 posts, read 3,695,239 times
England adopted the Gregorian calendar in 1751. Before the calendar was reformed Christmas day was always celebrated on the 6th of January, and it still is in countries like Armenia.
Where I live, pagan ceremonies are still pracitised at this time of year, and pre- date easily any Christian activity.

Old 12-05-2011, 06:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by albion View Post
England adopted the Gregorian calendar in 1751. Before the calendar was reformed Christmas day was always celebrated on the 6th of January, and it still is in countries like Armenia.
When is the Orthodox Christmas:
Quote:
Most Orthodox Christians celebrate Christmas on 7 January each year, according to the Julian (or Old Calendar) such as those in Russia, Serbia, Jerusalem, but some others celebrate it on 25 December, according to the Gregorian (or new calendar) such as those in Greece and in many Western countries.

Old 12-05-2011, 09:39 AM

40,049 posts, read 34,519,445 times
I find myself agreeing with the OP. Christmas is a Christian holiday. Therefore, if you wish to celebrate it, then by all means celebrate it. But don't hit everyone else over the head with it. I don't insist that everyone else should be confronted with my holidays--so Christians should apply their own golden rule, and stop doing unto others.

Old 12-05-2011, 09:45 AM

10,567 posts, read 12,786,091 times
Just like Muslims have a high holiday - this season - this month is OUR high holiday! In reality - Christmas is a high Jewish holiday for a certain small and ignored sect of Jews who founded the religion. I guess that is why some Muslims don't like Christmas because there is Jewishness connected to it. Christmas has always been dispised by Muslims and Jews..it is a renegade way of thinking...Christians reject most old Jewish laws as foolishness - "Your traditions are killing you"...and Muslims connect Christmas to being Jewish - and most Muslims have been taught to not like Jews - hence Christians...It's kind of odd - I believe that Muslims and Jews hate Christmas to a degree because it is embarassing to them how successful the religion was and is..that it is a superiour way of thinging and living - that Christianity built the prosperous western world that we live in...envy?

Old 12-05-2011, 11:23 AM

3,484 posts, read 6,492,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred314X View Post
I find myself agreeing with the OP. Christmas is a Christian holiday. Therefore, if you wish to celebrate it, then by all means celebrate it. But don't hit everyone else over the head with it. I don't insist that everyone else should be confronted with my holidays--so Christians should apply their own golden rule, and stop doing unto others.
I agree that the term "Christmas" originally applied to a Christian holiday. However, common use always defines the term. It has been "appropriated" by Madison Avenue, Wall Street, and etc as a commercial opportunity.

So, if a Christian wishes to "yell at" someone, why not yell at Madison Avenue and Wall Street? It would do exactly as much good, and it wouldn't offend those who do not celebrate this Season as a Christian holiday.

Old 12-05-2011, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oleg Bach View Post
Just like Muslims have a high holiday - this season - this month is OUR high holiday!
Easter would be the Christian High Holy Days if Christians had High Holy Days.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oleg Bach View Post
Christians reject most old Jewish laws as foolishness.
Actually, these laws are the 613 Mitzvot (Commandments), and they are only binding on those who left Egypt and were at Sinai, their descendents and those who voluntarily accept them through conversion.

Gentiles are only required to follow the 7 Noahide Commandments.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality