Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2011, 12:49 PM

1,816 posts, read 2,511,352 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheoGeek View Post
So other than your personal preferences...what is your standard? You're not getting that. Unless you have an objective standard, it's up to the whim of those in charge.
There is no objective standard. The closest we get to is the generally accepted moral basics that we as humans have adhered to for a few thousand years. Don't kill. Don't steal. Don't be a jerk. Etc. Of course, even those have been shifted around and changed in the past by those in charge, as you say.

And yet, we seem to always get back to the same core principles. They deal with the evolutionarily derived desire to see our species prosper, to live and help others and to be merry. That is part of what makes us human.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2011, 01:00 PM

20,436 posts, read 12,764,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nighteyes View Post
Christ's crucifixion, death and resurrection took place well before Paul's reported encounter on the road to Damascus. So, strictly speaking, Paul never met the living Christ, nor did he hear the living Christ speak.

And who said this? Paul? Someone else? Who?

Again, I do not mean to discount anyone's religious beliefs; I merely mean to clarify them as beliefs rather than facts.

Peter, who walked with Christ, confirmed Paul's words as Gospel. 2 Peter 3:15

Last edited by Horn of ‘83; 12-01-2011 at 01:31 PM..

Old 12-01-2011, 01:10 PM

939 posts, read 1,024,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fillmont View Post
There is no objective standard. The closest we get to is the generally accepted moral basics that we as humans have adhered to for a few thousand years. Don't kill. Don't steal. Don't be a jerk. Etc. Of course, even those have been shifted around and changed in the past by those in charge, as you say.

And yet, we seem to always get back to the same core principles. They deal with the evolutionarily derived desire to see our species prosper, to live and help others and to be merry. That is part of what makes us human.

Don't try to force your morals on me.

Old 12-01-2011, 02:17 PM

48 posts, read 168,047 times
oh for crying out loud, some people are gay and some people are straight....there are so many other more important issues in this world! Get over it!

Old 12-01-2011, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Don't try to force your morals on me.
I wasn't.

Old 12-01-2011, 02:31 PM

Quote:
I wasn't.
So you agree that I am justified in my opinion that it is immoral?

Old 12-01-2011, 02:40 PM

Quote:
So you agree that I am justified in my opinion that it is immoral?
Nope. Still immoral. You're free to be a bigot, though. I won't persecute you for it, or take away any of your rights.

Old 12-01-2011, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Nope. Still immoral. You're free to be a bigot, though. I won't persecute you for it, or take away any of your rights.
So you are judging me and trying to force your morals on me. So bigotry is alive...

Old 12-01-2011, 03:10 PM

Quote:
So you are judging me and trying to force your morals on me. So bigotry is alive...
I'm judging you, yes, but I'm not forcing anything on you. And I'm judging you for your beliefs, not for who you inherently are. There's the difference. I don't like the way you think. It is cruel and short sighted. But you don't like the way certain people are.

You have the chance to change and be better than you are. It's not up to me to do it for you though. I can't make you. I can't force you, and I won't force you. In fact, I'm having a tough time even trying to comprehend where I am "forcing my beliefs on you." But you're the bigot here, not me.

Old 12-01-2011, 03:16 PM

Quote:
I'm judging you, yes, but I'm not forcing anything on you. And I'm judging you for your beliefs, not for who you inherently are. There's the difference. I don't like the way you think. It is cruel and short sighted. But you don't like the way certain people are.

You have the chance to change and be better than you are. It's not up to me to do it for you though. I can't make you. I can't force you, and I won't force you. In fact, I'm having a tough time even trying to comprehend where I am "forcing my beliefs on you." But you're the bigot here, not me.
I'm doing the exact same thing you are. I'm not forcing my beliefs on anyone. If you're calling me a bigot, then you might as well call yourself one because we're doing the exact same thing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality