U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 12-02-2011, 07:29 PM

7,615 posts, read 3,202,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mzjamiedawn View Post
I became a Christian at the age of 24. I went to church 3 times a week for about 10-11 years. I was a Sunday school teacher, very active with the youth group, ladies activities, etc.

Then after 18 years, I got a divorce. I had married at 17, so I went a bit wild and sowed some oats, and, in the meantime, stopped going to church.

I used to be on these boards, and would debate like crazy over Christianity, and why my beliefs were correct. I would also read a lot of other's posts, and take them to heart. If someone could point out as fact that my beliefs were wrong, I wanted to listen.

This led to my studying and searching. My beliefs now? That the bible is man's word, not God's. That man has had his hand in it so much, and there are so many contradictions, that it can't possibly be God's word anymore. Therefore, how do I know what God said, and what He didn't?

I still believe in a God. The God of the bible? I don't know. I just "have" to believe that somebody/something created this world, and that there is something after this life. Why? I don't know...maybe because I believed it all my life.

There are times I get scared, thinking, what if I'm wrong, and I should be the way I was before, otherwise I'm going to hell? Then I get angry, because I think, one shouldn't worship any God or go through the motions, out of fear. I also have a hard time believing if God is supposed to be love, why would there be any concept of hell?

As for Jesus, I want to believe in Him. However, it's hard to do so, since the only thing I can go off of is the bible.

Anyway...if someone was to ask me my religious affiliation, I would probably answer Christianity. With my new beliefs though, I'm sure most Christians would disagree.

So, besides confused (haha), what would I be considered?

I've been away from these boards for quite a while, so I'd like to say hi to everyone I had the privilege of talking with on here before!
I would say you could be considered 6 months to a year shy of being atheist, agnostic at the very least.
Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2011, 08:05 PM

2,933 posts, read 2,980,019 times
Quote:
I became a Christian at the age of 24. I went to church 3 times a week for about 10-11 years. I was a Sunday school teacher, very active with the youth group, ladies activities, etc.

Then after 18 years, I got a divorce. I had married at 17, so I went a bit wild and sowed some oats, and, in the meantime, stopped going to church.

I used to be on these boards, and would debate like crazy over Christianity, and why my beliefs were correct. I would also read a lot of other's posts, and take them to heart. If someone could point out as fact that my beliefs were wrong, I wanted to listen.

This led to my studying and searching. My beliefs now? That the bible is man's word, not God's. That man has had his hand in it so much, and there are so many contradictions, that it can't possibly be God's word anymore. Therefore, how do I know what God said, and what He didn't?

I still believe in a God. The God of the bible? I don't know. I just "have" to believe that somebody/something created this world, and that there is something after this life. Why? I don't know...maybe because I believed it all my life.

There are times I get scared, thinking, what if I'm wrong, and I should be the way I was before, otherwise I'm going to hell? Then I get angry, because I think, one shouldn't worship any God or go through the motions, out of fear. I also have a hard time believing if God is supposed to be love, why would there be any concept of hell?

As for Jesus, I want to believe in Him. However, it's hard to do so, since the only thing I can go off of is the bible.

Anyway...if someone was to ask me my religious affiliation, I would probably answer Christianity. With my new beliefs though, I'm sure most Christians would disagree.

I've been away from these boards for quite a while, so I'd like to say hi to everyone I had the privilege of talking with on here before!
I understand exactly how you feel. Your story is a lot like mine. By the time I started posting on these boards a few years ago, I was already a CU. But I too have come to believe that the bible is a bunch of writings written by men thousands of years ago, in a different culture, in a different land, in a different language. Translated into our language where a lot of the words have been misintepreted with a different thought process then what people had back in ancient times. Somehow through all of that stuff, our eternal future is based on our belief to comprehend the meaning of these translations and mistransalations? I think not.
Like you, I still believe in a God/Supreme Being. That just seems to make the most sense to me. But other than that (as to the who,what, how`s,and why`s) I don`t know. But I believe God ( what or whoever that is), knows your heart and mind. One day I just said, God I want to know the truth whatever that is and whever that leads me. That`s all I`m after. How could a God not understand that? I wasn`t there when the ancient texts were written. I wasn`t there when they canonized the scripture. So how on earth can I truly trust 100% what is written and base my eternal future on it? Heck, the christian church can`t even agree on interpretation, but God supposedly isn`t the author of confusion.
I don`t put a label on myself or what I believe. I just believe in a higher being and an afterlife of some kind. I do think there is a lot of wisdom in the ancient writings. Ithink there is wisdom in a lot of different religious writings. I`m just more of a free thinker who is keeping an open mind to what God is and what lies beyond the grave.
By the way, you or ilene or anyone else with an open mind,feel free to PM at any time. I`m always interested in this subject and love to discuss life, death,God,etc. with others. I enjoy it very much.

Old 12-02-2011, 10:36 PM

2,771 posts, read 1,136,668 times
Quote:
You can take the bible, give it to ten different people, and after they read it, get ten different versions of truth. Yet, God isn't supposed to be the author of confusion? Hmmm. Really makes one think.

If there was a God, I wouldn't throw people's different ways of reading scripture on him as evidence for a god of confusion. I think the various books of the bible are pretty clear and easy to understand - if you're familiar with the Ancient Near East or the Greco-Roman World, and aren't afraid of a little Hebrew or Greek. So instead of seeing a god of confusion, I see books written by different humans, but easily understandable if approached without the glasses of an "-ology".

As an example - the Book of Job. For me - one of the most powerful books in the Bible, one that touches on the major themes of Theodicy that most people worry about. However - most Christians approach it with the Sunday School admonition that the whole point of the book is that Job was patient and was rewarded for his faith. This is not the whole point of the book (Job was the furthest thing from patient as possible in a human ha!), but people are already biased when approaching it. Another bias that crops up is the later teaching that no man is perfect, so they cannot understand that the author of Job really was trying to say that Job was considered perfect and righteous before God. They attempt to explain it away, and thus they can prove that Job was sinful (when he was not), and that his arguments fall flat. Well - the author of the book wrote the story, so if he meant what he wrote - he meant what he wrote. An amazing book - even for a non-believer. It's a shame that the blasphemy of the book is explained away by those who don't bother to read the poetic middle part of the book. It's a miracle the book ever made it into the canon, for that matter.

Anyways - I think you're doing good, as long as you don't let anger at your former status start you on just as dogmatic a path as you were before. There are plenty of atheists like that on the forums who have merely exchanged one zealotry for another heh heh!

Old 12-02-2011, 11:14 PM

577 posts, read 234,836 times
Quote:

you might want to look into noahidism.

Old 12-03-2011, 05:31 AM

14,876 posts, read 6,682,567 times
And having decided that what's in the Bible is not to be taken on trust posters here might not.

I have to say that the straightforward and honest posts here do more to set the Bible in context and debunk the accusations of why people lose their beliefs than any post of mine.

I can only hope that, to those who do start listening and thinking, something I have written might answer a question or two.

Old 12-03-2011, 05:37 AM

1,407 posts, read 778,337 times
Quote:
So, besides confused, what would I be considered.
The word "confused" would definitely fit my assessment.

Would you care to let us in on your reason(s) for choosing to ditch the Bible?

Old 12-03-2011, 06:23 AM

4,851 posts, read 2,896,238 times
Quote:

You'd be considered a SEEKER OF TRUTH....like the rest of us who have thoroughly studied and rejected the man made versions of who and what God is.

Old 12-03-2011, 08:33 AM

10,283 posts, read 3,045,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigetmax24 View Post
The word "confused" would definitely fit my assessment.

Would you care to let us in on your reason(s) for choosing to ditch the Bible?
It seems she already did. She sees the hand of man in too much of the Bible.

As to the OP, you sound somewhere between Deistic and agnostic.

Old 12-03-2011, 09:32 AM

1,407 posts, read 778,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiyero View Post
It seems she already did. She sees the hand of man in too much of the Bible.
Right...that would be why I'm asking the question. What REASON(S) does she have for choosing to see too much of the hand of man?

I deeply appreciate your assistance here, but I've read all of her responses thus far and feel myself to be reasonably capable of interpreting the lingo. Thanks for the help though.

Old 12-03-2011, 10:14 AM

1,797 posts, read 1,851,687 times
I think allot of people have move beyond religion, they still see themselves as spiritual, however, they are not tied to one piece of doctrine or they have rejected doctrine in its entirety. I think religion has its place for those who need it but not all people need a religion.

As for myself, I have come to a deeper understanding of just what "God" is and what the Christ means by being removing myself from the church. It is my understanding which is all I need and I don't feel compelled to proselytize my beliefs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality