Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2011, 03:15 PM

2,529 posts, read 4,351,497 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Blue View Post
Hi Jamie, I ran across a few threads a couple days ago and wondered where you went

I seldom call myself a Christian any more.It is a label with many "have to's and "or elses" added by man since Jesus ministry of two thousand years ago. I think man made up the concept of demons, the devil and hell to frighten people to follow the selfrighteousness of man. I have learned that we create our own demons as an excuse for our "sins" and we create our own hell right here then use it to frighten others into our own selfrighteousness

However, I am a staunch believer that there is a God/ creator and He is NOT the God of the old testament..I have not been a "literalist " for years simply because it just does not work for me to follow all those rules and rituals that I finally realized were mans not Gods. ..Too many people worship the book and fail to see the beauty of being free to continue to seek God in the beauty of nature, and in the goodness of those on different paths to Him

Every now and then an old scar will be torn open by things people say or accuse me of since I dropped out of "church", (especially "their church")

A religious label does not define who you are, you don't need the burden..

I do believe there is a seed of God within all of us that makes us desire to understand and seek some form of our own understanding of His evidence.
Having a religious label was smothering me and squeezing the life out of my spiritual self ..

I wish you well on your new journey and pray it will lead you to your own truth and that it will you peace.
Thank you Miss Blue! It's nice to know I was thought of from time to time.

I think you and I are a lot alike in our beliefs now, and since we both came out of the same denomination, we can understand more of what the other went through. I don't really feel that I have any scars, or at least haven't had anyone rip one open yet. When I do visit the old congregation I just get a lot of "We miss you, and wish you'd come back" kind of thing. I honestly think a lot of the people think I just started going to another congregation.

If they only knew...

I just thought of one thing that may be considered a scar. When I first stopped going to church, I had an elder and a youth minister come visit me. The elder sat in my living room and told me I would go to hell if I didn't come back to church, or if I ever remarried. Gee, thanks for the judgment. So glad you think you know my whole story.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2011, 03:27 PM

13,640 posts, read 24,509,987 times
Jamie, my h is still and always has been a member of that congregation as is all his family..I am often told where I will spend eternity and that because of my apostasy my children are lost too. I do find myself not being so mad at them as feeling sorry for the fear they have for something that does not exist..IMO, of course

Old 12-05-2011, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Blue View Post
Jamie, my h is still and always has been a member of that congregation as is all his family..I am often told where I will spend eternity and that because of my apostasy my children are lost too. I do find myself not being so mad at them as feeling sorry for the fear they have for something that does not exist..IMO, of course
I'm sorry you have to live with that. Are your children members? Are they saying their salvation is dependent upon yours, or are they blaming you because your children followed you?

That would be hard to live with a husband who is still a believer and judges you daily. When I was a Christian, I was married to a non-believer. Made for a hard marriage as well.

You and I seemed to have turned out ok though!

Old 12-05-2011, 04:18 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,157,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mzjamiedawn View Post
I became a Christian at the age of 24. I went to church 3 times a week for about 10-11 years. I was a Sunday school teacher, very active with the youth group, ladies activities, etc.

Then after 18 years, I got a divorce. I had married at 17, so I went a bit wild and sowed some oats, and, in the meantime, stopped going to church.

I used to be on these boards, and would debate like crazy over Christianity, and why my beliefs were correct. I would also read a lot of other's posts, and take them to heart. If someone could point out as fact that my beliefs were wrong, I wanted to listen.

This led to my studying and searching. My beliefs now? That the bible is man's word, not God's. That man has had his hand in it so much, and there are so many contradictions, that it can't possibly be God's word anymore. Therefore, how do I know what God said, and what He didn't?

I still believe in a God. The God of the bible? I don't know. I just "have" to believe that somebody/something created this world, and that there is something after this life. Why? I don't know...maybe because I believed it all my life.

There are times I get scared, thinking, what if I'm wrong, and I should be the way I was before, otherwise I'm going to hell? Then I get angry, because I think, one shouldn't worship any God or go through the motions, out of fear. I also have a hard time believing if God is supposed to be love, why would there be any concept of hell?

As for Jesus, I want to believe in Him. However, it's hard to do so, since the only thing I can go off of is the bible.

Anyway...if someone was to ask me my religious affiliation, I would probably answer Christianity. With my new beliefs though, I'm sure most Christians would disagree.

So, besides confused (haha), what would I be considered?

I've been away from these boards for quite a while, so I'd like to say hi to everyone I had the privilege of talking with on here before!
Hi. Here's the thing to remember. It's a process.

I know that some people think it just comes to you with a blinding flash of light. And it actually may with some. For others, it's the result of honest inquiry and contemplation. It is the weighing of things. That is why I look with a bit of suspicion on people who are absolutist about matters. How do you know? is my question to them.

Only you can know your own heart. But it's important that you continue trying.

Old 12-05-2011, 05:11 PM

1,513 posts, read 1,624,566 times
Quote:
I believe they are written by man, without inspiration. I don't like the fact that men got to decide which books would be in the bible, and which wouldn't. I don't like the fact that things are added to the bible that weren't there originally. I don't like the contradictions. I don't like that 20,000 denominations can all read the same bible and come out with different truths. I don't like that I can't read the originals. I don't like that over 2000 years, who knows what was lost/changed in translations?

I'm sure there's more, but that's a start.
A rather revealing response. Of course, I would beg to differ with your assessment.

For whatever it's worth, I actually have respect for people with the courage and where-with-all to ask difficult questions and no respect whatever for those who attend church week after week never taking time to consider the reason - or whether or not they even have a reason.

"The unexamined life is not worth living."

-Socrates

Thanks for the response.

Old 12-05-2011, 05:32 PM

1,513 posts, read 1,624,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by looking4answers12 View Post
I can understand why Fiero was confused by your question! I realize you addressed your question to the OP (sorry I can't remember her name right now), but I'm a little intrigued by your question as well, so I hope you don't mind my jumping in.
Fiero 's been around the block a few times...I really don't believe his post was the result of any "confusion" over the subject matter.

I don't mind you jumping in. Please feel free to ask away.

Quote:
Do you think that we must always have "reasons" for the things we do?
Do you think that it's reasonable to be unreasonable?

Quote:
And is it safe to assume, that you think the OP has reasons running deeper than what is described in the original post (that might be a rhetorical question). If yes, can you give an example of the type of reason that perhaps you suspect she might have?
Other than the probability that she would present the typical "canned" answer, I have no idea. That's why I asked the question.

Quote:
I can tell you that for myself - my reasons for questioning the bible are that sometimes things just don't seem to "add up" for me.
Can you elaborate? There are millions different ways that one could view things in the Bible as failing to "add up."

Quote:
I'm glad I found this forum and this post. I have lots of questions regarding faith, God, The Bible and other religions.
Cool. Feel free to open a new thread if necessary.

Quote:
Besides reading the Bible and going to church, I have the feeling that this might be a good place to at least learn what some others think about these things...
Yes and no. One would do well to familiarize themselves with the local clientele. The dogmatics (both atheists and theists) routinely have axes to grind and are quite often motivated by hidden agendas...honesty and sincerity are in short supply. Just my humble assessment.

Old 12-05-2011, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigetmax24 View Post
A rather revealing response. Of course, I would beg to differ with your assessment.

For whatever it's worth, I actually have respect for people with the courage and where-with-all to ask difficult questions and no respect whatever for those who attend church week after week never taking time to consider the reason - or whether or not they even have a reason.

-Socrates

Thanks for the response.
You're welcome, and thank you for the compliment!

Old 12-05-2011, 08:55 PM

1,727 posts, read 2,548,617 times
Quote:
I'd like to also add this. If you enjoy living by faith alone (you've said you believe but don't know why), and you enjoy living the Christian life, and would prefer to continue to believe in God and Jesus and the bible...stop reading this forum. If you have an open mind, you eventually will have more doubts than you have now, that may lead to you not believing anymore.

If you want to know the truth, no matter what that truth may be, keep reading this forum. It will be a huge eye opener.

Either way, I hope you find exactly what you're seeking.
Thanks.
I have faith that I will find "my way" one way or another.
Gonna check out this forum a while longer AND start reading the Bible again. We'll see what happens.

Old 12-05-2011, 09:03 PM

33,541 posts, read 37,140,220 times
Quote:
Thanks.
I have faith that I will find "my way" one way or another.
Gonna check out this forum a while longer AND start reading the Bible again. We'll see what happens.
Be careful.... Properly read, the Bible is the most potent force for atheism ever conceived......Isaac Asimov

Old 12-05-2011, 10:39 PM

3,483 posts, read 4,045,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
Be careful.... Properly read, the Bible is the most potent force for atheism ever conceived......Isaac Asimov
He even wrote a very handy (and large) Guide to the Bible. Highly reccomended for those who haven't seen it, or are unaware of it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigetmax24 View Post

-Socrates
Is that why he eventually drank that hemlock? Har Har!

Psst, don't tell that joke around Plato - he's already angry at the concept of democracy because of that whole Socrates incident... at least it gave us The Republic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality