Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2011, 06:58 AM

1,356 posts, read 1,277,173 times

Advertisements

There is abundant evidence that evolution is natural and intrinsic to mass and energy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2011, 06:58 AM

16,661 posts, read 15,654,903 times
What a goofy thread! Let's see. I'm going to redefine a word we all have already gotten comfortable using so I can create a contentious thread on a forum.
from Dictionary.com:
God [god] noun
1. the one Supreme Being, the creator and ruler of the universe.
2. the Supreme Being considered with reference to a particular attribute: the God of Islam.
3. ( lowercase ) one of several deities, especially a male deity, presiding over some portion of worldly affairs.
4. ( often lowercase ) a supreme being according to some particular conception: the god of mercy.
5. Christian Science . the Supreme Being, understood as Life, Truth, love, Mind, Soul, Spirit, Principle.
What gives the OP authority to redefine words on the English language?

Old 12-05-2011, 07:00 AM

50,086 posts, read 20,691,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Werone View Post
Some people define god in different ways, I told you how I define god, how do you define it? It would seem that my definition and yours still do not agree.

When people ask you if you believe in god, statistically they are asking if you value life and knowledge, for this is a measure, to them (and to me), of a good person. The more people you can convey meanings with the smarter you will be.

FYI. I never ask anyone if they believe in God.
Nor do I. I don't ask them if they don't believe in God. I don't talk about unless they try to sell me religion.

Now, yes, people use 'God' or 'god' to mean all sorts of things, which is very often where misunderstanding and confusion comes from and why an atheist will often ask 'how do you define God?', though that is also used to try to show that no -one really know what a god is.

Let me see your definition.."God is the spark of life, and it seems that life by nature, evolves and holds information and begins to saturate itself with information.... matter does this seemingly on its own or the driving force is god. So if you respect life and knowledge, if you honor life and knowledge then you do believe in god and you are not an atheist!"

I think that I do get your drift and that is that the 'spark of life' (which I may require you to elucidate) and the 'driving force' behind everything that we call 'natural' is 'god'.

The essence of this (Mystic and I thrashed this out before) is whether it is a forward - planning 'intelligence' or not. Even then, with time and matter looping back on itself..who knows? I'd just say that this is so speculative and unproven that investing 'belief' in anything or any claim about this 'god' is unreasonable. Not investing belief means an unbelief default. That is what atheism is.

It's something we can be very easy about until people start using it as a way of shoehorning Biblegod into the discussion or telling us that, if there is something unexplained about the Cosmos we cannot be atheists.

Biblegod of course is the one (in all the experience I've had) which atheists, wearing their anti - religion hat with the (Bible) 'God does not exist' badge (get yours in the Foyer, folks, special reduced price) say there is no, which is atheist for 'We are as sure there is no (Bible) God as we are sure there are no fairies or leprechauns.

Any remaining misperceptions?

Last edited by TRANSPONDER; 12-05-2011 at 07:15 AM..

Old 12-05-2011, 07:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AREQUIPA View Post
Nor do I. I don't ask them if the don't believe in God. I don't talk about unless they try to sel me religion.

Now, yes, people use 'God' or 'god' to mean all sorts of things which is very often where misunderstanding ad confusion comes from and why an atheist will often ask 'how do you define God?', though that is also used to try to show that no -one really know what a god is.

Let me see your definition..
My definition of god is simply the value of life and knowledge.

Do you see how angry people seem to be? I am not religious, but because I value life and knowledge I can say that I believe in God and relate with more people than if I say I do not.

I am not trying to redefine the word God, its just that the definition presented in dictionaries or as defined above is about as useful as the definition of the lochness monster, or ghosts.

Old 12-05-2011, 07:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mensaguy View Post
What a goofy thread! Let's see. I'm going to redefine a word we all have already gotten comfortable using so I can create a contentious thread on a forum.
from Dictionary.com:
God [god] noun
1. the one Supreme Being, the creator and ruler of the universe.
2. the Supreme Being considered with reference to a particular attribute: the God of Islam.
3. ( lowercase ) one of several deities, especially a male deity, presiding over some portion of worldly affairs.
4. ( often lowercase ) a supreme being according to some particular conception: the god of mercy.
5. Christian Science . the Supreme Being, understood as Life, Truth, love, Mind, Soul, Spirit, Principle.
What gives the OP authority to redefine words on the English language?
Its only goofy if you feel you know it all and do not feel like discussing the subject. Move on and spread your wisdom elsewhere, somewhere you feel it is not "Goofy".

Old 12-05-2011, 07:21 AM

50,086 posts, read 20,691,451 times
Quote:
My definition of god is simply the value of life and knowledge.

Do you see how angry people seem to be? I am not religious, but because I value life and knowledge I can say that I believe in God and relate with more people than if I say I do not.

I am not trying to redefine the word God, its just that the definition presented in dictionaries or as defined above is about as useful as the definition of the lochness monster, or ghosts.
I can understand your explanation and just find it a confusing label. It can lead to misunderstandings and, as you say, anger. That's why I resist the tendency to slap the 'God' label onto all the stuff we usually think of as 'nature' unless we are those who have been fooled by the argument from Pulpit (or Mimbar these days, it seems) or creationist websites.

I especially resist the temptation to tell us we cannot possibly be 'atheists' because of this very dodgy label -slapping tendency.

Old 12-05-2011, 07:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AREQUIPA View Post

I think that I do get your drift and that is that the 'spark of life' (which I may require you to elucidate) and the 'driving force' behind everything that we call 'natural' is 'god'.
In my rant, (LOL) I said that matter self assembles, some people say that is gods hand. I say define it however you wish, but at the end of the day they admit to a truth, self assembly and physics, however they define it. That is far more powerful than arguing wit them if I say I do not believe in GOD, which makes a suggestion to some people that I do not value life and truth and that I am harmful to society or family...

Old 12-05-2011, 07:31 AM

4,612 posts, read 4,892,143 times
Quote:
Musings of someone that seeks truth.
I don't think you are seeking the truth. You believe you already have the truth, and you are being a nice person and sharing it with us Atheists.

I know you are puzzled how we can look at this beautiful world and not see a god, but we are equally puzzled why people like you need to believe in the supernatural.

Life would get boring if we were all the same.

Old 12-05-2011, 07:35 AM

Thank you for your insight AREQUIPA. I understand you, and respect you. In my eyes you are atheist and you value life and knowledge, you would be introduced to people I know who are good people as believing in god, only because it would convey the fact that you value life and knowledge to them. They are loyal, even if their loyalty has them using dodgy definitions and has me redefining the word god. You are right, a rose by any other name is still a rose. (Smell good too!)

Old 12-05-2011, 07:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiker45 View Post
I don't think you are seeking the truth. You believe you already have the truth, and you are being a nice person and sharing it with us Atheists.

I know you are puzzled how we can look at this beautiful world and not see a god, but we are equally puzzled why people like you need to believe in the supernatural.

Life would get boring if we were all the same.
I am not superstitious. Not even a little bit. I just want to relate to some people I admire, and have crafted a way to relate to them. i guess I just wanted to share it. I agree, life would be boring if we were all the same!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality