Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2011, 10:59 PM

1,356 posts, read 1,277,173 times

Advertisements

I find those that say they are atheist really do believe in god. God is the spark of life, and it seems that life by nature, evolves and holds information and begins to saturate itself with information.... matter does this seemingly on its own or the driving force is god. So if you respect life and knowledge, if you honor life and knowledge then you do believe in god and you are not an atheist! It would truly be worthwile to define god for those that have not done so, in order to communicate better with the rest of us... communication is sharing information, my mass passing information to your mass...... by nature we do this.

God = life

There is no god if life does not exist. (Carbon based cellular organizations of mass that evolve and hold information)

Musings of someone that seeks truth.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2011, 11:07 PM

5,984 posts, read 13,407,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Werone View Post
I find those that say they are atheist really do believe in god. God is the spark of life, and it seems that life by nature, evolves and holds information and begins to saturate itself with information.... matter does this seemingly on its own or the driving force is god. So if you respect life and knowledge, if you honor life and knowledge then you do believe in god and you are not an atheist! It would truly be worthwile to define god for those that have not done so, in order to communicate better with the rest of us... communication is sharing information, my mass passing information to your mass...... by nature we do this.

God = life

There is no god if life does not exist. (Carbon based cellular organizations of mass that evolve and hold information)

Quote:
I find those that say they are atheist really do believe in god.
Your statement is technically true, but epistemologically meaningless. You are redefining "God" in such a way that no one could deny the concept. I could say that God = oxygen, and since everyone knows that oxygen exists, no one is an atheist. I could also define God as skfnojau, and since no one believes in skfnojau, everyone is an atheist. This is disingenuous.

When most people use the word "god," they mean a supernatural, omniscient, omnipotent being that created the universe. I lack belief in such an entity, therefore, I am an atheist.

Old 12-04-2011, 11:31 PM

33,521 posts, read 37,121,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by northstar22 View Post
Your statement is technically true, but epistemologically meaningless. You are redefining "God" in such a way that no one could deny the concept. I could say that God = oxygen, and since everyone knows that oxygen exists, no one is an atheist. I could also define God as skfnojau, and since no one believes in skfnojau, everyone is an atheist. This is disingenuous.

When most people use the word "god," they mean a supernatural, omniscient, omnipotent being that created the universe. I lack belief in such an entity, therefore, I am an atheist.
As am I....

Old 12-04-2011, 11:36 PM

11,798 posts, read 25,175,776 times
Agreed. It is absurd for someone who doesn't know me to say that I believe in God. I am an atheist and most certainly do not.

Old 12-05-2011, 12:27 AM

4,049 posts, read 5,029,983 times
Oh boy, another semantics argument for god.

Old 12-05-2011, 01:03 AM

1,780 posts, read 2,351,832 times
Doesn't the bible say that man was created in the image of God? and that man is naturally sinful(evil)? Wouldn't this mean that God is sinful(evil)?

Old 12-05-2011, 01:04 AM
2K5Gx2km

n/a posts
When you start to argue like this and break the argument down it really is a tautology.

If God exist then life exists

Life exists

Therefore, God exist.

If you believe in life you believe in God.

But with the statement God = Life the first premise is a fallacy - a tautology. It it like say 'If God exist then God exists.'

I find this to be the case with another argument:

If God exists then Objective Moral Values exists

Objective Moral Values exist

Therefore, God exists.

Yet with the statemnet that Objective Moral Values are grounded in God's nature Christians have the concept that God = The Good and the Good = God.

Likewise, the first premise of this argument is also a tautology - it is like saying - If God exists then God exist. Of course when they start talking about ontological issues they start to divide God's nature into attributes - but then again according to Christians each attribute is co-existent with God and if one were missing then he would not be God - God cannot be parts but is one. From here it really get's confusing - in laughable way of course - as you watch them struggle to make it all work.

Old 12-05-2011, 01:08 AM
2K5Gx2km

n/a posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fractured_kidult View Post
Doesn't the bible say that man was created in the image of God? and that man is naturally sinful(evil)? Wouldn't this mean that God is sinful(evil)?
There are different takes on what the image means. The main two are: 1) some attribute of humanity which causes all kind of problems, or 2) a Functional Responsiblity - man was created AS the image of God or man was created TO image God. Man is to be his representative on earth.

I beileve the latter is what the Bible was trying to convey.

Last edited by 2K5Gx2km; 12-05-2011 at 01:39 AM..

Old 12-05-2011, 01:12 AM

7,084 posts, read 14,855,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Werone View Post

God = life

Sorry guy, that whole god=life thingy is a ludicrous assumption, were there even a shred of evidence that gods actually exist, atheism would be extinct. But, there is no such proof, and I truly believe that no god plays any part of life and is contra indicated in knowledge. Superstition is not necessary for the betterment of mankind.

Old 12-05-2011, 01:43 AM

33,521 posts, read 37,121,123 times
Actually I think superstition is detrimental to the betterment of mankind.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality