U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-05-2011, 06:13 AM

3,015 posts, read 4,885,310 times

Advertisements

I’m no Bible scholar by any stretch. I remember listening/reading about how the more fortunate should help the poor with food, clothing, and other necessities. And I try. But isn’t it also written (it seems it is right after Jesus tells us to help them) that the poor should not depend on it and do something about their plight. I’m not sure where it is in the Bible though. Can someone help me find the passage, please? I spent yesterday looking and just got more lost.
Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2011, 06:50 AM

34,947 posts, read 9,030,391 times
I certainly can't recall anything like that, even in James which is rather holding up works as against faith without works. The idea is that the poor need help rather than being encouraged to get up off their butts and earn a crust.

You may be thinking of 'God helps those who help themselves' or 'teach a man to fish..' but they are not Biblical as I recall.

"The phrase "God helps those who help themselves" is a popular motto that emphasizes the importance of self-initiative.
The phrase originated in ancient Greece, occurring in approximately equivalent form as the moral to one of Aesop's Fables, Hercules and the Waggoner, and later in the great tragedy authors of ancient Greek drama. Although it has been commonly attributed to Benjamin Franklin, the modern English wording appears earlier in Algernon Sidney's work.
The phrase is often mistaken for a Bible quote, but it appears nowhere in the Bible." (Wiki)

Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime. Chinese Proverb

Last edited by TRANSPONDER; 12-05-2011 at 07:50 AM..

Old 12-05-2011, 07:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AREQUIPA View Post
I certainly can't recall anything like that, even in James which is rather holding up works as against faith without works. The idea is that the poor need help rather than being encouraged to get up off their butts and earn a crust.

You may be thinking of 'God helps those who help themselves' or teach a man to fish..' but they are not Biblical as I recall.

"
The phrase "God helps those who help themselves" is a popular motto that emphasizes the importance of self-initiative.
The phrase originated in ancient Greece, occurring in approximately equivalent form as the moral to one of Aesop's Fables, Hercules and the Waggoner, and later in the great tragedy authors of ancient Greek drama. Although it has been commonly attributed to Benjamin Franklin, the modern English wording appears earlier in Algernon Sidney's work.
The phrase is often mistaken for a Bible quote, but it appears nowhere in the Bible." (Wiki)

Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime. Chinese Proverb
No, it wasn't that. I thought it was after the Beatitudes but it isn't, that I saw. I was pretty sure I heard it or saw it but I may be mistaken. Thanks for your response.

Old 12-05-2011, 08:26 AM

3,076 posts, read 2,272,654 times
Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime. -author unknown.

^This is the best help and major thanks to all whom lend themselves to do so.

*I once read where some smart butt wrote..."Teach a man to pray and he will starve to death waiting on God to send him a fish". Good grief.

Old 12-05-2011, 12:31 PM

3,491 posts, read 5,314,983 times
I agree with AREQUIPA -- it isn't scripture, but a commonly-held and -preached concept.

Regards,

-- Nighteyes

Old 12-05-2011, 12:37 PM

949 posts, read 850,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredtinbender View Post
I’m no Bible scholar by any stretch. I remember listening/reading about how the more fortunate should help the poor with food, clothing, and other necessities. And I try. But isn’t it also written (it seems it is right after Jesus tells us to help them) that the poor should not depend on it and do something about their plight. I’m not sure where it is in the Bible though. Can someone help me find the passage, please? I spent yesterday looking and just got more lost.
In ancient Israel the land-owners were told not to harvest out to the very edge of the field. They were to leave a little bit for the poor to come glean, or harvest to feed themselves. The principle is that it was a way to provide for the poor, but the poor still had to work to feed themselves. If you read the book of Ruth, you see that she went and gleaned grain in Boaz's field to feed herself and her mother-in-law.

The apostle Paul reiterated it stating that if a man doesn't work, he doesn't eat.

2 Thess 3:10 For even when we were with you, we would give you this command: If anyone is not willing to work, let him not eat.

Old 12-05-2011, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheoGeek View Post
In ancient Israel the land-owners were told not to harvest out to the very edge of the field. They were to leave a little bit for the poor to come glean, or harvest to feed themselves. The principle is that it was a way to provide for the poor, but the poor still had to work to feed themselves. If you read the book of Ruth, you see that she went and gleaned grain in Boaz's field to feed herself and her mother-in-law.

The apostle Paul reiterated it stating that if a man doesn't work, he doesn't eat.

2 Thess 3:10 For even when we were with you, we would give you this command: If anyone is not willing to work, let him not eat.
I think that is going to be the definitive answer until that reading comes around again at church. That may even be the one I almost recollect. LOL Thank you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality