U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
 
Old 12-07-2011, 11:17 AM
 
4,047 posts, read 2,943,452 times
Reputation: 1311

Advertisements

Atheism is non-belief in ANY god, not just the christian one(s). Atheism is a response to theistic beliefs, and in America, by far the most prominent theistic beliefs are christianity, so it's no surprise the most prominent response is to christianity. Doesn't mean atheists don't disbelieve other gods as well, and won't debate about them just as well.

 
Old 12-07-2011, 11:23 AM
Status: "I'm back--My silly human fell asleep" (set 23 days ago)
 
Location: Marion, North Dakota
10,702 posts, read 4,232,991 times
Reputation: 4194
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury Cougar View Post
[/b] We don't.You haven't looked around much if you think we're ignoring Islam, Judaism, and all the other superstitions in the world.
[i]


I refuse to proffer respect to those people who demand respect, consideration, special treatment, or any other kind of immunity, simply on the grounds that they have a religious faith. I refuse to respect those who treat anyone unlike them with suspicion, hatred, or unfairness simply for having different opinion or for being of non-heterosexual orientation. Having faith does not give you privileges or make you virtuous or right, and it's neither noble nor wise to believe in unsupported claims and ancient superstitions.
MC to the Rescue. Knew you would not let us down. I do believe you have shown me a few times that atheists disagree with Islam just as much as any other faith. It just is not as noticable as we are the minority in the USA.

I do suspect if we made up a sizable portion of the population, we would get more signs.
 
Old 12-07-2011, 12:04 PM
 
6,040 posts, read 5,982,483 times
Reputation: 3822
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodrow LI View Post
MC to the Rescue. Knew you would not let us down. I do believe you have shown me a few times that atheists disagree with Islam just as much as any other faith. It just is not as noticable as we are the minority in the USA.

I do suspect if we made up a sizable portion of the population, we would get more signs.
Yes, we would. In fact, just yesterday I had a long conversation with someone who kept insisting that honor killings don't happen among moderate muslims, or muslims living in the USA. I wish he was right, but he's not.
 
Old 12-07-2011, 08:49 PM
 
177 posts, read 55,875 times
Reputation: 53
Just to nitpick honor killings happen among honor based societies and people from honor based societies. American Muslims i.e. Muslim from an American culture, rarely if ever have honor killings. A lot of Muslims happen to come from honor based societies is what it is.
 
Old 12-07-2011, 10:09 PM
 
3,287 posts, read 1,470,699 times
Reputation: 391
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury Cougar View Post
[/b] I refuse to proffer respect to those people who demand respect, consideration, special treatment, or any other kind of immunity, simply on the grounds that they have a religious faith. I refuse to respect those who treat anyone unlike them with suspicion, hatred, or unfairness simply for having different opinion or for being of non-heterosexual orientation. Having faith does not give you privileges or make you virtuous or right, and it's neither noble nor wise to believe in unsupported claims and ancient superstitions.
Does that bolded portion of your post ^^ hold for antiTheist Atheists too...including the one you see looking back at you in the mirror?

If so...UHHHT OH!
 
Old 12-07-2011, 10:37 PM
 
Location: Somewhere out there
9,621 posts, read 6,880,983 times
Reputation: 3627
Default Yikes!! Untruths piled on untruths!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oleg Bach View Post
Because most atheists were raised as Christians - and were poorly informed and trained in the mysterys of Christ..they are bitter and resent those that practiced Christianity because they saw flaws in the presentation...to bad for them - cos' to understand what it really is - is a great support - power and blessing...

Quote:
Originally Posted by rflmn
So you say. Frankly, my careful and thoughtful investigation of my Christian faith during my late teens and early twenties, was quite careful and respectful of my Christianity, or at least it started out that way. In fact, I only wanted some basic questions answered, but also wanted to clarify and strengthen my faith as I became a thinking adult. It didn't work out that way to be sure, only because my Church could not provide any credible answers or logical, dispassionate debate. Only rants and auto-parroting, plus scorn for my questions and "attitude".

You assume and stereotype far too much, that since we moved away from your chosen beliefs, therefore we must have been misguided. And as well, therefore we can't be trusted now!

Oh, and we're bitter. And disrespectful. Only if we accept your fairy tale version are we then officially nice? What a crock! And please: don't try that insulting "Well then, you were never a true Christian if you gave it up!" nonsense. As in the "No True Scotsman" fallacy (look it up.)

The problem is that anyone can claim anything: that there is a God, that there's a teapot orbiting the sun right now (No way, you say? Why? Disprove it! See! It MUST BE SO then, right?), and that yours is the One, The Only True Godly God. Others disagree, so then what? They are poor misguided souls?

As a career scientist, I've had a lot of experience checking things out, and the Great Christian Myth just doesn't pan out. Ever. On top of that, it's so bronze-age and scientifically illogical, that it's rather easily debunked, disproved and dropped on it's literal ears. Noah's Ark, Red Sea Partings, water into wine, healing the blind by touch, etc, etc. To boot, it all happened in the undocumentable past, as were all those ancient dragon myths and miracles. With not a one since then. Seem a tad bit odd to you?

You know, back when a big rain storm was God peeing on us, or lightning bolts were messages from Thor or Woden, people had to make stuff up to avoid their own panic terror fits. (there's proper medical help for that sort of thing now, you know...) Likewise, your claim that it's all undeniably true is unsubstantiatable, just like the Flying Spaghetti Monster (but still, He's my favorite, esp. since He's so easily found in my cupboard, and Hes' so Saucy!).

So many godz to choose from; so little time, huh?

Meantime the One Great Truth continues to show it's absurdity whenever questioned. Back to you...
as I said before - most atheists are against religion...but in the core- they really do believe in goodness and God...It's all in the translation and presentation..religion can ruin people..

Quote:
Originally Posted by rflmn
Wrong. I don't believe on your God, as noted above. Did once, but clearly no more. Why? Because He's sooo unnecessary and sooo irrelevant in my life, as well as in the greater scheme of things. But still, your insults go on...
Recently I listened to an acedemic atheist who was spewing off some political theory of his own...fine and dandy ...Untill he mentioned a few times that he was an atheist ...so politically I could not take him seriously - because he was so sure of himself..

Quote:
Originally Posted by horrified_rflmn
Wrong again. We've just thought things out carefully and have come to a logical, substantiatable and confident conclusion, and so we're not to be trusted? You can't take us seriously. Really? Well OK; continue....
How can some one truly be sure of the existance of God or the non-existance of God? It is impossible - NO ONE knows for sure...It becomes a question of blind intelligent faith...so...in my estimation no aggressive atheist has real crediblity in anything they propose...Not religious - or political.
It's simple, really. (the part in blue above...)

Because the evidence for your Abrahamic God is just not there or when tested, it always fails? Ever thought of it from that inescapable and easily demonstrated perspective?

If you make up some wild mythology and then just assume it's true, why on earth would my not believing it "for sure" be my problem? Seems like it's more your's, right?

By your standards, why shouldn't I just believe in everything that's been made up by illiterate bronze-age goatherds? There's an unlimited supply of such ancient (and even some modern...) imaginary myths, and so why pick your specific one and only?

Remember that nutzo cult a few years back that believed there was a mother ship hiding behind that approaching asteroid, so "we'd better all drink the Kool-Aide and get up there, on board"? Hey: why not huh, if you truly believe (like you do...)? And they were so durned trustable and all too....

That makes no sense. It's just your firm and needy belief system at work here hoping for validation through mass acceptance. Not my problem, frankly. And trust me, I'm trustable. Even though I'm an untrustable and unstable atheist!

(actually, this is both hilarious and ironic: when I was leaving the faith in my late teens and early 20's, the person I grew to trust the least was my youth pastor, with his vastly disrespectful hubris and arrogance. I suppose my inquisitive nature threatened his life's career choice, huh? I had initiated a little tiny viral particle of distrust in his choices perhaps? (cue the ominous musically descending sound track: Du..du..duh...duhhhhhh....)
 
Old 12-07-2011, 10:40 PM
 
Location: California
25,484 posts, read 16,796,497 times
Reputation: 17887
Sometimes I think if it wasn't for POES there would be no action in the religion forum.

Sorry, my meter went off on page one.
 
Old 12-08-2011, 04:56 AM
 
5,300 posts, read 1,957,995 times
Reputation: 2032
Quote:
Originally Posted by GldnRule View Post
Does that bolded portion of your post ^^ hold for antiTheist Atheists too...including the one you see looking back at you in the mirror?
But the problem most atheists have with theists is not that they have DIFFERENT beliefs. Different beliefs are great and the world would be dull and boring without them.

The problem is with people having entirely baseless and unsubstantiated beliefs which they want implemented in the form of public policy, law or exceptions from same.

Further you have had this explained to you on a number of occasions. The fact that you still keep ignoring it is telling.
 
Old 12-08-2011, 06:30 AM
 
Location: South Africa
5,414 posts, read 3,625,654 times
Reputation: 1676
LoL
 
Old 12-08-2011, 06:31 AM
 
3,287 posts, read 1,470,699 times
Reputation: 391
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nozzferrahhtoo View Post
But the problem most atheists have with theists is not that they have DIFFERENT beliefs. Different beliefs are great and the world would be dull and boring without them.

The problem is with people having entirely baseless and unsubstantiated beliefs which they want implemented in the form of public policy, law or exceptions from same.

Further you have had this explained to you on a number of occasions. The fact that you still keep ignoring it is telling.
Nah!...I can see the real deal...you're paranoid.

The world is Theist...has been for thousands of years...and always will be.

Atheism is as much a "nothing concept"...as it is a "concept of nothing" (as far as the existence of "Gods" are concerned)....you are going to have to learn to deal with that.
Culture, and society in general, is going to be "molded" much more by vastly powerful and influential Theism, than it will be by near negligible Atheism.

I didn't make Theism so prolific, strong and powerful...while Atheism is so pathetically unpopular, weak, and uninspiring...that's just THE REALITY OF THE WORLD Bro!!

Theism is the "Alpha Concept"...and Christians are the "Alpha Theists"...sooooooo, of course they are going to wield the most "mojo".
See, Christians are like the NY Yankees...and Atheists are like your local Little League team...and make that the local Little League team with the worst record. In reality, even that is giving Atheism more credit than it has earned.

You have had this explained to you on a number of occasions. The fact that you still aren't hip to it is telling.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top