Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-08-2014, 10:09 PM

5,563 posts, read 7,214,408 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotmail55 View Post
Hate Group plain and simple. Atheism in the short hand is the rejection of belief in the existence of deities. That's fine, I have no problem with that. But when you target a GROUP (i.e.. Christianity) based on its specificity you are a hate group. I find it interesting that groups like the American Atheists only seem to target Christians and similar beliefs like Mormonism. But you never see them go after Islam. People get on here in defense of this saying that Christianity is a direct threat that is close to home. Ignoring all the while the encroachment of Islam and Shurah law. Beheadings in other countries, mass slaughter, and the perennial favorite here in the States....Honor Killings. But you won't see groups like A.A. going after this religion.....why you might ask? Because they are scared of this group and its capability for fanaticism in the 21st century. They have no spine and in my opinion are a bunch of ******* looking to pick on someone. You don't believe in a DIETY? fine that's your right, and I'll support your right to express that, but targeting one faith or a like minded faith? And giving others a pass because of possible physical threats or repercussions. Well for one that makes you spineless, and two...you are no better than any other hate group out there.
There, there *pats head*

Old 05-08-2014, 10:18 PM

14,361 posts, read 9,788,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by -Lucy- View Post
It seems like atheist only target Christians and Christianity, and very seldom any other religions, which share similar beliefs.
When atheists usually post billboards and other non-belief or "myth" stuff, it mainly includes Christianity, and during the Christmas/Holiday season, it targets Christmas.

Why are they afraid to post "myth" stuff about Judaism and Islam?
I think they are scared because they know how strong Muslims and Jewish are, and what consequenses they will get for doing it, while poor Christians does not usually do anything about it.

This is ridiculous!
Since we live in America, which is predominantly Christian, it is the religion to attack. Of the 8B people in the world more than 3B are Christians, so it makes sense to undermine the largest religion first. This is their goal after all.

As a Christian I'd think you should embrace this time as prophetic. Never in the history of the world has wrong been right and right been wrong, so universally. End times have never been so apparently true.

Old 05-08-2014, 10:19 PM

15,501 posts, read 17,078,401 times
Question: Why do atheists only target Christians & Christianity?

Answer: Who is an Atheist in the USA most likely to be confronted by?

Atheists in Saudi Arabia seem to only attack Muslims.

Perhaps what we see as an Attack is more closely related to preservation.

Old 05-08-2014, 11:53 PM

1,807 posts, read 1,892,003 times
Quote:
I don't understand why someone would get offended by "Christmas" when they know they live in a country where Christianity is the dominant religion \

It's like visiting Israel in December and being offended when I see menorahs and "Hanukkah" sale etc. rather than "Holidays" for the 25% that are not Jewish in Israel.
Same thing if I visit a Muslim country and being offended when they greet me with "Happy Ramadan" or whatsoever.
It's primarily because (and I say this with the greatest respect) Christianity as a whole is a very 'arrogant' religion. it assumes that it is superior to every other religion, and it does so on the flawed circular premise of 'it's superior because it says it's superior'.

In advertising, there's a special class of product called a 'parity product' that permits competing brands of toothpaste, shampoo or dish soap to legally advertise that their particular brand is the 'best', because they're all nearly identical in every practical way. It's only when a given parity product says it's better than the others that the claim must be proven.

Along the same line, religion in general can be considered a form of 'parity product' -- for all intents and purposes, every religion is approximately the same, in terms of worshipping a deity, singing hymns or praying, gathering on 'sacred ground', etc.

I guess my question is: Christianity may be the dominant North American religion, but what makes it 'better' than another belief?

Old 05-09-2014, 05:43 AM

34 posts, read 33,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Onions View Post
So you're really wondering why atheists aren't striving to keep prayers to Odin out of the public schools?

Find that one a real head-scratcher, do you?
NO, becasue no one has done anything to keep prayer out of public schools. Open prayers officiated by public officials on government property is what the law is after. If you was a Christian and the Muslim religion became popular in your area, would you welcome their prayers or the prayers of tens of thousands of other religions. It might become a free for all with each religion fighting for their dominance during prayer sessions. Prayer with children is best at home, children with parents. How many of you Christians have devotions evcery morning including prayers for the day before you seperate for the days tasks? Why do we want to have prayer sessions in areas where people of all faiths meet and even those who have no faith? It protects all parties concerned. School is for accademics, not religion. Thanks for your post.

Old 05-09-2014, 06:21 AM

16,673 posts, read 15,672,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeekerSA View Post
There, there *pats head*
Bless his heart.

Old 05-09-2014, 07:23 AM

11,110 posts, read 9,814,649 times
Quote:
It seems like atheist only target Christians and Christianity, and very seldom any other religions, which share similar beliefs.
When atheists usually post billboards and other non-belief or "myth" stuff, it mainly includes Christianity, and during the Christmas/Holiday season, it targets Christmas.

Why are they afraid to post "myth" stuff about Judaism and Islam?
I think they are scared because they know how strong Muslims and Jewish are, and what consequenses they will get for doing it, while poor Christians does not usually do anything about it.
Where to begin...

First, this is akin to asking: Why are Ukrainians so fixated on Russia? As opposed to, say, America or China? The rather obvious answer is that America and China aren't annexing parts of Ukraine while stoking secessionist sentiment in other parts of the country, while amassing troops on the border. Similarly, the vast majority of the time when religious people are foisting their religious rules on the secular legal system (gutting the science curricula of schools because they're terrified of evolutionary biology, banning same-sex marriage, demanding special exemptions because of their religion - yeah, I'm looking at you, Hobby Lobby), those people are Christians. This holds true in the countries of most of the posters on these forums.

Are you really scratching your head, and wondering why atheists aren't railing against the worship of Zeus, or demonstrating against the human sacrifices by Aztecs that haven't occurred in almost 500 years?

Second, your premise is simply false. Atheists do indeed target non-Christian belief systems.

Atheist’s Billboards Written in Hebrew & Arabic Will Target Muslims & Jews | TheBlaze.com
Dawkins: Islam is ‘one of the great evils in the world’ | Freethought Nation

Quote:
This is ridiculous!

PS! I'm not Christian myself, but it's very unfair. If you are going to post stuff about something, INCLUDE all religions, or leave them alone and keep your own beliefs to yourself.
Atheist should respect that they live in a country where close to 80% are Christians (some states even higher %). Keep in mind that the U.S. has the world's largest Christian population.
Your entire post is ridiculous.

Old 05-09-2014, 10:50 AM

88,584 posts, read 84,795,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unsettomati View Post
Where to begin...

Your entire post is ridiculous.
Since the OP is listed as "Not a Member" and the post is more than two years old, she may never find out that her post is ridiculous. Or maybe she did, and that's why she's gone!

Old 05-11-2014, 12:41 PM

6,324 posts, read 4,323,868 times
Quote:
But when you target a GROUP (i.e.. Christianity) based on its specificity you are a hate group.
So doesn't that mean that Christianity is a "hate group" for targeting (specifically) homosexuals?

Hopefully with just that one sentence, you might reconsider the wisdom of spouting off before you think.

Quote:
I find it interesting that groups like the American Atheists only seem to target Christians and similar beliefs like Mormonism.
I'm really starting to believe that certain Christians (like you, for instance) have learned to block out anything an atheist tells them - because I'm sure I speak for many atheists when I say that we're getting sick and tired of having to explain and re-explain the same thing again and again. I sometimes think people like you deliberately hang on to the more contentious and pot-stirring explanation (atheism is a hate group) rather than accept the more likely (and true) explanation: Most people in this nation are Christian, so it stands to reason that atheists are going to have more issues with Christians than, say, Muslims who represent a whopping 0.06% of the population, Jews don't even proselytize, and Buddhism, Taoism, Hinduism, Shintoism, and other far-eastern religions aren't out to rule the world.

Quote:
But you never see them go after Islam.
Why bother? Just how much political capital do you think Muslims have in this country as compared to Christians? Hmm?

Quote:
Ignoring all the while the encroachment of Islam and Shurah law.
Oh, you're one of THOSE people. Sorry, but no. This "creeping Sharia Law" nonsense was just propaganda cooked up by our favorite fear merchants on the ultra right side of the aisle. I will offer you my condolensces for actually purchasing an idea from those crazy, xenophobic fear-mongers, but you did and now it's too late to get your money back.

Oh, and if you're going to be irrationally afraid of something, it's probably a good idea to spell it correctly.

Quote:
Beheadings in other countries, mass slaughter, and the perennial favorite here in the States....Honor Killings.
What exactly are we supposed to do about beheadings in other countries? America already had the bulk of its military over there for the last 10 years. Otherwise, all we can do is talk smack about zealots in another country. As for honor killings - well, not to sound flippant about murder, but an honor killing is just another murder. There's no reason to get all up in arms over an honor killing than there is any other time parents kill their kids.

Quote:
But you won't see groups like A.A. going after this religion.....why you might ask? Because they are scared of this group and its capability for fanaticism in the 21st century.
You're talking rubbish. The reason why A.A. isn't going after Islam is because Islam does not represent the majority religion nor does Islam have any political clout in this country. At all. I don't see the Muslims trying to push Intelligent Design onto our kids, nor are the Muslims crying about school prayer. I don't see American Muslims telling people that non-Muslims don't have Constitutional rights. Muslims aren't the ones trying to ramrod bills that will allow discrimination against gays nor are they the ones responsible for the gay marriage bans. The Department of Homeland Security is not required to give thanks to Allah, but they ARE required to give thanks to God under threat of jailtime if they don't. Prayers said before meetings of political institutions from city councils on up to the President do not pray to Allah, Muhammad, or take oaths on the Qu'ran. There is a church every three street corners in America but mosques are hard to come by.

Bottom line is that there is no reason to go after Islam because it isn't the problem in this country. Oh, it might be a problem in some OTHER countries - but the A.A. doesn't have any influence over there. Tackling international terrorism is a bit outside of A.A.'s scope, wouldn't you think?

Quote:
They have no spine and in my opinion are a bunch of ******* looking to pick on someone.
I think you're terribly confused. Did you hit your head?

At any rate, your blustering is only helping my arguments. You realize that, right? Well, if you don't, I'm giving you a friendly heads-up that you are. You're the kind of Christian that some atheists feed on; you're the kind of Christian that atheists point to as an example of why religion tends to be intolerant. I mean you hate the Muslims, you hate the atheists. Who's next on the hit list? Hindus, perhaps? I know people like you would never attack the Jewish religion, so I'm guessing you'll start bashing the Hindus next. Yeah! Why isn't the A.A. going after those damn Hindus worshiping elephant-headed gods and a six-armed goddess with a tongue even Gene Simmons would be envious of?

Quote:
You don't believe in a DIETY?
Which means we also do not believe in Allah.

Quote:
but targeting one faith or a like minded faith?
That's not how the world works. All threats are not equal. And while you might think the greatest threat to our freedom is Islam, it isn't. I'm not going to bother explaining it all to you since your mind is made up, but it's silly to worry about the internal policies of a nation half a world away (which has no political or military power to EVER challenge America) while ignoring the fascistic antics of some Christians like their policy on gays or trying to legalize discrimination or judges telling non-Christians that we have no Constitutional rights.

Quote:
And giving others a pass because of possible physical threats or repercussions.
Uh ... physical threats or repercussions? Don't look now but your strawman just ran off in search of a brain.

Quote:
Well for one that makes you spineless, and two...you are no better than any other hate group out there.
Yeah, as if I would be worried that extremist Muslims would target me specifically as the next victim of international terrorism. Oh, be still my heart, I am so fraught with worry!

And just remember, if atheism is a hate group, then so is Christianity. I don't play the double-standards game.

Old 05-11-2014, 12:47 PM

6,324 posts, read 4,323,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steven_h View Post
Since we live in America, which is predominantly Christian, it is the religion to attack. Of the 8B people in the world more than 3B are Christians, so it makes sense to undermine the largest religion first. This is their goal after all.

As a Christian I'd think you should embrace this time as prophetic. Never in the history of the world has wrong been right and right been wrong, so universally. End times have never been so apparently true.
Personally, I think these types of Christians are setting themselves up for a self-fulfilling prophecy.

So while they're waiting around for a fascist dictator to come out of the sky and save them, they'll stand around like sheep doing absolutely nothing about our problems except wringing their hands and talking about the End Times and how baaaaaad everything is.

And to make matters even more surrealistic, you people WANT things to go south. Yeah, only a Christian like yourself would embrace dark times - which means you wouldn't try to make them better, now, would you. Because to actually work towards making the world a better place might inadvertantly set back Jesus's arrival date, no?

Sheesh, and people still wonder why I think religion is so dangerous. Who would've ever thought that a messianic doomsday cult would sport 3 billion adherents yet here we are ...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality