Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-05-2011, 04:02 PM

3,423 posts, read 3,207,047 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by looking4answers12 View Post
I guess i'm missing the point.

Some Christians have done horrible things.

Some of every group have done horrible things.

Does that mean any person affiliated with any group where SOME of the members did something bad is also bad?

No, and I don't believe that atheists here are making that suggestion. However, the title of this thread certainly does suggest that all atheists are doing something some consider to be bad (targeting Christians, and only Christians), when the fact of the matter is that that isn't what atheists are doing.

Old 12-05-2011, 04:05 PM

970 posts, read 1,697,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheoGeek View Post
I find it interesting that Bill Maher didn't have the guts to do his "Religulus" movie in Baghdad. Just sayin...
In the middle of a WAR? What would that achieve to justify the risk? He already interviewed Muslims for Religulous.

Quote:
This is the most reasonable answer to the original question, that I have seen so far.

Thank you.
Was any answer needed beyond "this is simply not true"?

Old 12-05-2011, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Sure I can. And unless you can read minds, you can't tell me that ever person who ever said that they believe that someone will go to hell if they don't believe, hates the person they a saying it too.

It can be said in a hateful way, and yes, as I said, some people who claim to be Christian certainly are hatefull (there are probably far too many of those types of Christians), but it can also be said as statement of their belief without actually hating the person who they are having the conversation with.

I can not provide "evidence" of what thoughts are in my brain. But that does not mean that those thoughts aren't still there.

Just because there is no "evidence" does not necessarily mean it does not exist.
No sir, you cannot. Whether it is a statement of one's beliefs or not, it is a hateful thing to say that someone is going to burn forever for _________________(fill in the hateful excuse here).

Just because there is no evidence of something's existence isn't evidence that it doesn't exist, but it is certainly not a reason to declare its existence.

Old 12-05-2011, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whoppers View Post
Yes - SOME.
Characterizing the actions of a very diverse group by SOME members actions is silly. I believe this is why Moslem apologists assure us that Islam is a religion of peace and shouldn't be judged by the actions of SOME members at 9/11.

I believe I said "some". Did I say "some"? I believe I did.

Old 12-05-2011, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Okay, bad example, maybe. Personaly, I don't think a black man or any person for that matter, can be assumed to "represent" anything without getting to know them.

My point though (put more simply) is that just because I don't like you, doesn't necessary mean that I "hate" you.

I don't like how my sister acts and sometimes I choose not to be around her, but that does not mean that I hate her.

And by the way...so anybody who thinks interracial marriage is a bad idea is assumed to be hateful?

How about the argument that a parent might not want to marry outside of their race, simply because they know that in doing so, they would most likely be subected to the type of behavior you mentioned above?

My best friend is in an interracial marriage. I love my friend AND I love her husband and her daughter. But, I would still rather that my daughter marry within her race, so that she does not have to endure the nonsense that my friend has had to endure. Does that make me a hater? I don't think so.
It is one thing to tell someone (or just think it without saying it out loud) that you don't like someone. It is quite another altogether to deny someone their Constitutionally protected right to practice their faith for no other reason than because of the color of their skin or because of their association with someone with a different skin color. Please stop defending racism. It is a rather ugly thing to do.

If your daughter decides she wants to marry out of her race, that is her decision because it is her life. If you can't trust your own daughter to make her own life decisions, what does that say about you? So what if others don't like it? **** em. It isn't any of their business, is it? Yes, I believe that your attitude is racist. So sue me.

Old 12-05-2011, 04:18 PM

Quote:
If my persecution, you mean the following definition : To oppress or harass with ill- treatment, especially because of race, religion, gender, sexual orientation, ...

I've seen it on message boards several times. Do I really need to go out and find an example for you to believe me? Do I really need to take the time to find the "evidence". I bet if I tried (which I'm not inclined at this moment to spend my time doing) I could probably find examples on these message board right here - I haven't been a member long enough to say that with 100% certainty, but it's probably a relatively safe bet.
Yes I do expect you to do so. It was your claim, so either make good on it, or admit that you just don't know.

Old 12-05-2011, 04:54 PM

1,727 posts, read 2,542,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
Wow...Sensitive friends, or what?
I still have to say that Christians are always looking for something to whine about no matter how trivial. It's what they do best. How the hell someone saying happy holidays is an attack is beyond me.
lol I can't argue with your last sentence!

But when you say "Christians" do you mean all Christians?
Would I be "whining" if I ojected to the generalization?

Old 12-05-2011, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by orogenicman View Post
No, and I don't believe that atheists here are making that suggestion. However, the title of this thread certainly does suggest that all atheists are doing something some consider to be bad (targeting Christians, and only Christians), when the fact of the matter is that that isn't what atheists are doing.

Fair enough.
If Christians don't want to be generalized, then we shouldn't generalize athiests either. (sorry if my gramar or use of the English langues is off)

Old 12-05-2011, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by orogenicman View Post
No sir, you cannot.
I am not a sir, I am a woman. And yes I can. I just did.

Whether it is a statement of one's beliefs or not, it is a hateful thing to say That is debatable and I disagree that someone is going to burn forever for (Not believing that Jesus is our savior, who died on the cross to suffer for our sins).

Just because there is no evidence of something's existence isn't evidence that it doesn't exist, True, we agree on something yipee! but it is certainly not a reason to declare its existence. It is a good enough reason for...what is it 2.5 million? billion people?
Thank you for you OPINION. (I just added that because I got a message that my message was too short and I needed to add at least one character - it's the first thing that popped into my head)

Old 12-05-2011, 05:05 PM

...and yes,I know, my spelling is horrific and my grammar is sloppy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.