Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2011, 09:33 AM

4,082 posts, read 5,040,720 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Lucy- View Post
[color=indigo]
BTW most Jews don't care about others, and want to stick to each other and grow the religion by having plenty of kids. Most of them don't like when people convert to their religion, since they mainly want people that were born from a "Jewish mother".

Moderator cut: off topic

But back to you op.

Christians take heat from others (not just atheists) because of their religious practice of needing to bring people to Christ, telling others they are going to hell for not believing.

I suspect that the upbringing many had in a fundamentalist home adds to the anti Christianity views they have.

Last edited by june 7th; 12-12-2011 at 07:56 AM..

Old 12-05-2011, 09:34 AM

3,483 posts, read 4,042,995 times
Quote:
I do agree that there are many Jehovah's witnesses who knock people's door and try to teaches their own beliefs, but those are minority people.

Believe it or not, my in-laws are very religious Christians, yet they have sign on their door saying "Jehovah's witnesses - NO Thanks".
Jehovah's witnesses are somewhat different from other Christians... they don't even celebrate any Christian holidays

Again, don't judge an entire religion but a tiny minority

BTW when I was in NYC, there were Jewish teenagers on 5th avenue who tried to teach us about their religion, why we should observe sabbath etc. etc. despite us not being Jewish.

Heh - we must have been typing at the same time.
Sorry.

Old 12-05-2011, 09:37 AM

87 posts, read 120,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whoppers View Post
Christianity is the "dominant" religion of America - so it receives the most flak from American Atheists.
And..... Christians won't write a death sentence for you if you insult one of their prophets, in case that's being forgotten.
I understand that Christianity is the majority and dominant religion of America, but many American atheist (even the president of American atheist) lives in area where Jewish have strong influence, particularly in New York/New Jersey area, and most of the northeast. So it's not like they only see Christianity stuff, and not any other religion.

For example, they have "war on Christmas" but not "war on Hanukkah", when they see menorah and hanukkah in many parts of high Jewish areas.
Jews are still heavily influenced on the American society.

And BTW, why not leave Christians alone (or all religions), and keep their owns beliefs to themselves?

Old 12-05-2011, 09:42 AM

1,816 posts, read 2,512,239 times
Quote:
I understand that Christianity is the majority and dominant religion of America, but many American atheist (even the president of American atheist) lives in area where Jewish have strong influence, particularly in New York/New Jersey area, and most of the northeast. So it's not like they only see Christianity stuff, and not any other religion.

For example, they have "war on Christmas" but not "war on Hanukkah", when they see menorah and hanukkah in many parts of high Jewish areas.
Jews are still heavily influenced in the American society.

And BTW, why not leave Christians alone, and keep their owns beliefs to themselves?
There is no War on Christmas. What you have is a vocal minority of Christians who are complaining about companies shying away from overtly religious symbolism/greetings in favor of more inclusive terminology.

This isn't any atheist's doing, however, but the result of the free-market. CEOs rightly figured that by switching to Happy Holidays, they could sell more stuff. And as much as a few of the vocal Christians would hate to admit it, the CEOs are right.

Old 12-05-2011, 09:46 AM

87 posts, read 120,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fillmont View Post
There is no War on Christmas. What you have is a vocal minority of Christians who are complaining about companies shying away from overtly religious symbolism/greetings in favor of more inclusive terminology.

This isn't any atheist's doing, however, but the result of the free-market. CEOs rightly figured that by switching to Happy Holidays, they could sell more stuff. And as much as a few of the vocal Christians would hate to admit it, the CEOs are right.
Keeping the word "Christmas" and "Christ" away is War on Christmas.

If like everyone is saying that Christians are the dominants in America, then why exclude their holiday and use Christmas instead of "holidays" ?!
Everyone knows that they refer to Christmas when saying "the holidays"

Old 12-05-2011, 09:47 AM

16,294 posts, read 28,518,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whoppers View Post
I think you're missing "her" point: that a few fundamentlaist extremists are not representative of Christians as a whole.
Let me assure you from my perspective here int he bible belt it is way more than a "few" fundies. Likely not the majority, but certainly greater in number than atheists, or any of the minority religions, i.e. Jews, Buddhists, muslim, etc.

Old 12-05-2011, 09:47 AM

Quote:

Jews are still heavily influenced in the American society.

And BTW, why not leave Christians alone (or all religions), and keep their owns beliefs to themselves?

I think political correctness might have something to do with it.
We have the Holocaust in our memory (and it's popular to keep it always in one's awareness in order to "never forget"), and this prevents many people from being anti-semitic in their critical endeavors.
The zealousness of Islam in punishing those who "insult" Mohammed or the Koran might be another factor in discouraging criticism.

Political Correctness, in other words. It seems more acceptable to criticize "ourselves" (if we mean that America is primarily a Christian Nation historically), than to criticize "others". Just a thought. Look at the extreme measures people have taken to absolve Islam of any culpability of the 9/11 attack - pointing to an extreme few as the culprit. This same "absolvement" should also be practiced on Christianity, when a few vocal individuals make trouble for the rest of Christianity.

I agree with you on this.

Old 12-05-2011, 09:51 AM

16,294 posts, read 28,518,209 times
Quote:
Keeping the word "Christmas" and "Christ" away is War on Christmas.

If like everyone is saying that Christians are the dominants in America, then why exclude their holiday and use Christmas instead ?!
This is just economics. The retail industry (where this so called war is most visibile as they wish you "happy holidays") is simply trying not to make anyone mad.

If they pizz off 10% of the people by saying "Merry Christmas" then sales will be down 10%. It's simple economics.

Old 12-05-2011, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post
Let me assure you from my perspective here int he bible belt it is way more than a "few" fundies. Likely not the majority, but certainly greater in number than atheists, or any of the minority religions, i.e. Jews, Buddhists, muslim, etc.

Time to move

I live in an area that is not even religious, I suppose. Religion doesn't even play the slightest role in public or governmental life here. For the first time in years, I had 2 Jehovah's Witnesses on my door this morning. Other than that, I would never even know there was a Christian religion -besides a few churches with their billboards.

Old 12-05-2011, 09:54 AM

15,501 posts, read 17,066,949 times
I believe you will find that most Western world Atheists came from Christian homes. They simply have more knowledge of Christianity and do often express their reasons for leaving Christianity. They are very much opposed to Christians trying to proselytize and probably feel like they are being attacked. Any anti-christian sentiment they show, just may be out of self defense.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality