Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-14-2011, 04:00 PM

4,049 posts, read 5,031,258 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GldnRule View Post
Here LIYF...you want something that is "Objectively Substantiated"? Try this:
In "The Arena of World Influence", Theism is the Grand Champion and is the most prolific, powerful, and motivating elective concept ever known to mankind...and Atheism is just about nuthin' by comparison in that respect.

Ya like that?...cuz that's the way it REALLY is...all nice, nice, objectively true...oh, and let's not forget: Substantiated.
Pointless.

Old 12-14-2011, 04:13 PM

9,408 posts, read 13,737,507 times
All humans have the capacity for good and bad. There is no-one is completely good nor completely bad. Given the right or wrong circumstances we can all fall prey to temptations.

Old 12-14-2011, 04:39 PM

4,904 posts, read 6,014,889 times
Christianity is the target of criticism more than other religions because it is mainly christians that proselytize or are intrusive on others. While not all christians are evangelical or intrusive, most of the people that are belong to the christian faith. You rarely if ever see a jew preaching to nonbelievers or telling nonbelievers they're wicked and live lives of meaningless lives of despair and are going to burn for eternity.

Old 12-14-2011, 04:57 PM

1,727 posts, read 2,548,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post
There is merit to both POV's. Perhaps it should go something like;
With or without religion, good people can behave well and bad people can do bad things, but the mindless fence sitters are easily swayed by religion to do evil.

I don't know...I agree with with everything up til the last sentence.
I think mindless fence sitters can be swayed by religion in a positive OR a negative way, depending on a lot of factors, including but not limited to, who is teaching them their Bible studies.

And non-religious people can also be swayed by who they spend their time with.

Both can also be swayed by personal experiences abuses etc.

I also think truly good people can do "bad" things. I'm not sure about the definiton of "evil" vs "bad"...

Last edited by looking4answers12; 12-14-2011 at 04:58 PM.. Reason: y'all please just ignore my spelling and grammar...i do try. ;)

Old 12-14-2011, 05:15 PM

12,595 posts, read 6,649,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nozzferrahhtoo View Post
So you have not replied to anything I actually wrote to you in post #328 and you have the gall to accuse me of being the one copping out. Wow. Just wow.
MAN! Nozz...don't have ANYTHING more to offer to anybody other than, "you have not replied to anything I actually wrote"?!

You should just say, "This a recorded announcement".

We all answer you...in detail, and then some...you just don't "get it".

Old 12-14-2011, 05:22 PM

12,595 posts, read 6,649,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LogicIsYourFriend View Post
Pointless.
To the few that are on the "ever losing team"...to the rest, it is "Objective Truth"...aaaaaaand "Substantiated".

Old 12-14-2011, 05:45 PM

4,049 posts, read 5,031,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GldnRule View Post
To the few that are on the "ever losing team"...to the rest, it is "Objective Truth"...aaaaaaand "Substantiated".
Keep dreaming and writing pointless and erroneous posts that say nothing new or relevant. It's pretty funny actually.

Old 12-14-2011, 05:49 PM

1,727 posts, read 2,548,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nozzferrahhtoo View Post
So you have not replied to anything I actually wrote to you in post #328 and you have the gall to accuse me of being the one copping out. Wow. Just wow.

Yeah, I finally went back and realized why I probably didn't bother replying to all your comments. My reasons are as follows.

1 - I'm tired of the game.
2- You really don't seem to be interested in a conversation as much as you are interested in baiting people into discussions so that you can pick them apart.
3- I didn't come to this forum to "debate" anything. I may have allowed myself to be drawn into some debates, but it certainly isn't why I came here, and I don't find that it is the best use of my time right now.
4- I prefer not to have conversations with people who enjoy putting other people down, and enjoy looking for their flaws and pointing them out. I get enough of that in real life, I don't need to look for that junk online as well.
5 - I guess I'm just not thick skinned enough to continue conversing with you, or whatever you want to call it. You clearly have your mind made up and you clearly enjoy debating. There's nothing wrong with that, it's just not my thing.
6 - If you somehow found my comments to be antagonistic, I apologize. I do have triggers and sometimes my temper does get the better of me.

Old 12-14-2011, 05:56 PM

142 posts, read 223,006 times
Atheist think most or all religions are myths, but Christians in this country tend to be the one's that want to enforce their beliefs on everyone else, including on other religions. You don't see Buddhists or Jews protesting "God hates F%gs" at military funerals, or passing laws to teach Creationism in schools, or using "God says this!" in political debates.

Old 12-14-2011, 06:03 PM

4,713 posts, read 9,701,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Djuna View Post
All humans have the capacity for good and bad. There is no-one is completely good nor completely bad.
Of course. Mainly because "good" and "bad" are concepts constructed by humans that are, at their core, completely arbitrary. Some of these concepts have simply become more socially entrenched than others.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality