Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-15-2011, 02:10 AM

7,801 posts, read 6,374,746 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by looking4answers12 View Post
Yeah, I admit it. I'm a hypocrite TOO.
Speak for yourself. You can accuse others of copping out and running away all you like but after this thread I am not sure such claims would have credibility. However a simple search of my posting history will show the opposite for me as I spend a great amount of my time making sure to reply, usually at great length, to anyone and everyone who chooses to converse with me. The kind of post you made in #331 is literally abhorrent to me in the vileness of the dismissing strawmannery it entailed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GldnRule View Post
MAN! Nozz...don't have ANYTHING more to offer to anybody other than, "you have not replied to anything I actually wrote"?!
Alas on forums such as this people do try to avoid what the other person wrote when they are unable to reply to it. How this is done varies from person to person. For example in #331 the user simply ignored everything I wrote and ran. Another example would by how you yourself engage in complete non sequitur.... such as when I make a point about how atheists view the opinions of others and you ignore this and go on a tirade about how there are more theists then atheists.

For example note how in THIS post you have successfully ignored and skipped over my last reply to you... ran away from it.... found a later post from me to someone else and then replied to that instead. Lovely dodge there.

There is nothing much I can do about this of course, except to keep highlighting it when it happens. And when people like yourself keep doing it, and I keep highlighting it, this serves my ends wonderfully by painting your side in a bad light. Especially when you start trolling threads with your cocky feux 70s jive language.

What I have learned on forums like this is sometimes the best way to highlight just how bad a group of people is... is not to point it out.... but to just keep them talking and let them do your work for you. This is generally why I keep replying to yourself and people like MysticNoPhd. The more you guys right the better for me it seems.

Quote:
1 - I'm tired of the game.
Your problem/copout/excuse. Not mine. If you do not want to discuss things then maybe a discussion forum is not the place for you? Maybe a blog with reader comments disabled might be the way to go for you, then you can soap box unchallenged.

Quote:
2- You really don't seem to be interested in a conversation as much as you are interested in baiting people into discussions so that you can pick them apart.
So wanting to continue a discussion with people - on a forum designed specifically FOR having ongoing discussions with people - some how makes me the bad guy here? Puh-leeese. Do you even believe what you are writing yourself here, let alone expect me to?

Quote:
3-
This is actually the same as 1 and 2, just combined. So nothing extra to say here.

Quote:
4- I prefer not to have conversations with people who enjoy putting other people down
Not sure what this has to do with me. This is a discussion forum and as such when I see someone making false and/or unsubstantiated claims I discuss them. Nothing wrong with that. If you feel "put down" by it then again I suggest this might not be the place for you.

I would be quick to make the distinction however between attacking ideas and attacking people. Do a quick browse of my posting history you will find I do the former the vast majority of the time. Often the replies I get however attack me personally and nothing I have said.

I put ideas down. With gusto. If you have problems with people who put people down then take it up with them. It is not what I do.

Quote:
5 -
As with 3, covered this.

Quote:
6 - If you somehow found my comments to be antagonistic, I apologize. I do have triggers and sometimes my temper does get the better of me.
I wish you well in dealing with your issue in the future. I can heartily recommend cooking, gardening, meditation and contemplation, exercise and time spent with animals as all being wonderful tools in anger management.

Above all remember that this is just a forum. The opinions of others here are interesting but they do not _matter_. For someone to offend/anger you that person should really have to matter to you and since no one here does it is impossible for anyone here to offend or anger me.

Being disappointed with people however is still possible and I find that this is an emotion I am led to feel often on forums such as this.

Old 12-15-2011, 05:04 AM

1,727 posts, read 2,548,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nozzferrahhtoo View Post
Speak for yourself. You can accuse others of copping out and running away all you like but after this thread I am not sure such claims would have credibility. However a simple search of my posting history will show the opposite for me as I spend a great amount of my time making sure to reply, usually at great length, to anyone and everyone who chooses to converse with me. The kind of post you made in #331 is literally abhorrent to me in the vileness of the dismissing strawmannery it entailed.

Alas on forums such as this people do try to avoid what the other person wrote when they are unable to reply to it. How this is done varies from person to person. For example in #331 the user simply ignored everything I wrote and ran. Another example would by how you yourself engage in complete non sequitur.... such as when I make a point about how atheists view the opinions of others and you ignore this and go on a tirade about how there are more theists then atheists.

For example note how in THIS post you have successfully ignored and skipped over my last reply to you... ran away from it.... found a later post from me to someone else and then replied to that instead. Lovely dodge there.

There is nothing much I can do about this of course, except to keep highlighting it when it happens. And when people like yourself keep doing it, and I keep highlighting it, this serves my ends wonderfully by painting your side in a bad light. Especially when you start trolling threads with your cocky feux 70s jive language.

What I have learned on forums like this is sometimes the best way to highlight just how bad a group of people is... is not to point it out.... but to just keep them talking and let them do your work for you. This is generally why I keep replying to yourself and people like MysticNoPhd. The more you guys right the better for me it seems.

Your problem/copout/excuse. Not mine. If you do not want to discuss things then maybe a discussion forum is not the place for you? Maybe a blog with reader comments disabled might be the way to go for you, then you can soap box unchallenged.

So wanting to continue a discussion with people - on a forum designed specifically FOR having ongoing discussions with people - some how makes me the bad guy here? Puh-leeese. Do you even believe what you are writing yourself here, let alone expect me to?

This is actually the same as 1 and 2, just combined. So nothing extra to say here.

Not sure what this has to do with me. This is a discussion forum and as such when I see someone making false and/or unsubstantiated claims I discuss them. Nothing wrong with that. If you feel "put down" by it then again I suggest this might not be the place for you.

I would be quick to make the distinction however between attacking ideas and attacking people. Do a quick browse of my posting history you will find I do the former the vast majority of the time. Often the replies I get however attack me personally and nothing I have said.

I put ideas down. With gusto. If you have problems with people who put people down then take it up with them. It is not what I do.

As with 3, covered this.

I wish you well in dealing with your issue in the future. I can heartily recommend cooking, gardening, meditation and contemplation, exercise and time spent with animals as all being wonderful tools in anger management.

Above all remember that this is just a forum. The opinions of others here are interesting but they do not _matter_. For someone to offend/anger you that person should really have to matter to you and since no one here does it is impossible for anyone here to offend or anger me.

Being disappointed with people however is still possible and I find that this is an emotion I am led to feel often on forums such as this.

I believe sombody pointed out to me that this discussion forum has an "ignore" option. I suppose there's a reason for that.

Your replies above, just prove to me what I mentioned. You really aren't inerested in what anyone as to say beyond picking it apart and looking for a debate. I'm not here to "debate". I'm here to share ideas. I am pretty sure that is also allowed on discussion forums. Despite my limited IQ compared to your sheer brilliance, I'm pretty sure there is a difference between the word "discussion" and the word "debate" and to "discuss" something does not necessarliy mean to debate, disagree, or argue. So, I guess I'll stay. If you find my comments abhorent, or hard to read in any manner, you are welcome not to read them.

I simply replied to your post because you "called me out" and seemed to want me to do so. But again, you demonstrated your purpose, which I have no use for.

There are plenty here who will continue to "take the bait" from you. I am hoping this is the last time I am tempted to do so. Please, go play with them, and enjoy yourself. I'm no longer interested in what you have to say.

And I'm pretty sure we are both way off the topic of this thread at this point.

Old 12-15-2011, 05:16 AM

Quote:
I believe sombody pointed out to me that this discussion forum has an "ignore" option. I suppose there's a reason for that.
Indeed if you want to ignore what another person is saying then using such a function is certainly easier than coming up with new cop outs every day.

Quote:
You really aren't inerested in....
And still making up false things about me in order to ignore all the things I have said on the subject of the thread. Ad Hominem is no use here so stop applying it. You are the one making this personal, not me. Attack the post not the poster. Go back and read what I had to say on the topic of the thread and reply to it... if you can.

Ignoring what I said and just going on a personal campaign of making things up about me will not help anyone here.

In fact I will help you... I will repeat the post I made before you went off on a campaign of personal invective in order to push it back on topic. I will do this following this post.

Quote:
I'm here to share ideas.
Then do it and get over this need to attack me instead of my posts. Share the ideas. However realise that part of sharing ideas is pointing out the flaws in those ideas and if I see any in yours I will of course point them out.

Old 12-15-2011, 05:18 AM

As promised.

Quote:
How do atheist couples "handle" the emotions of the wife. After all, you know we are FULL of unsubstantiated emotions! I suspect that even atheist women have moments of irrational emotions. I know it's off the topic of the thread, but your phrase "unsubstantiated claims" reminded me of this question.
Not entirely sure what you are even talking about here sorry. What is an "unsubstantiated emotion"??

I am well aware that humans are prone to feeling irrational emotions. The desperate but ultimately failed attempts of users like GldnRule to elicit such emotions through trolling shows that people without a valid argument often attempt to cause people to feel such irrational emotions like anger in order to make them look bad. Alas they themselves look worse.

Irrational emotions and unsubstantiated claims are massively different things. The latter is something that people claim exist but have no evidence actually does for example. The former might be irrational, but it still exists.

So I am sorry but I have to admit I really do not understand the question.

Old 12-15-2011, 06:21 AM

5,068 posts, read 10,132,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazzymom View Post
Because Jews and Muslims don't go door to door looking to talk about Jesus. They don't proselytize. Judaism is not a religion that believes in gaining converts. Islam welcomes converts but they don't have the same missionary practices as Christianity.

The only religion that does missionary work and actively seeks to pull people away from beliefs they already have is Christianity.

I don't think it is unfair.
Islam will most likely take over the US (http://www.linkedin.com/redirect?url=http%3A%2F%2Fvideo%2Egoogle%2Ecom%2Fv ideoplay%3Fdocid%3D-871902797772997781&urlhash=3VKA&_t=tracking_disc - broken link).

Also on Netflix.

Very interesting stuff.

Old 12-15-2011, 06:30 AM

10,564 posts, read 12,820,368 times
Tell most modern Christians to give up their wealth...and do what is right...and most will fall away from the faith --- It takes guts to be the real deal - and one must be willing to lose everything in order to gain power and domain in the natural world - most are not willing to take this step..because their faith is born of the material world and they follow not spiritual law but material law.

Old 12-15-2011, 06:34 AM

Quote:
Indeed if you want to ignore what another person is saying then using such a function is certainly easier than coming up with new cop outs every day.

And still making up false things about me in order to ignore all the things I have said on the subject of the thread. Ad Hominem is no use here so stop applying it. You are the one making this personal, not me. Attack the post not the poster. Go back and read what I had to say on the topic of the thread and reply to it... if you can.

Ignoring what I said and just going on a personal campaign of making things up about me will not help anyone here.

In fact I will help you... I will repeat the post I made before you went off on a campaign of personal invective in order to push it back on topic. I will do this following this post.

Then do it and get over this need to attack me instead of my posts. Share the ideas. However realise that part of sharing ideas is pointing out the flaws in those ideas and if I see any in yours I will of course point them out.
I guess each of us is feeling attacked by the other. I'm willing to call a truce. Have a great day.

Old 12-15-2011, 06:36 AM

Quote:
As promised.

Not entirely sure what you are even talking about here sorry. What is an "unsubstantiated emotion"??

I am well aware that humans are prone to feeling irrational emotions. The desperate but ultimately failed attempts of users like GldnRule to elicit such emotions through trolling shows that people without a valid argument often attempt to cause people to feel such irrational emotions like anger in order to make them look bad. Alas they themselves look worse.

Irrational emotions and unsubstantiated claims are massively different things. The latter is something that people claim exist but have no evidence actually does for example. The former might be irrational, but it still exists.

So I am sorry but I have to admit I really do not understand the question.

It's funny (to me) because even though you didn't understand the question, you did a pretty good job of answering it. At least part of it.

Old 12-15-2011, 06:55 AM

Quote:
I guess each of us is feeling attacked by the other. I'm willing to call a truce. Have a great day.
Indeed, which is why I tried to put the thread back on topic by re-posting the post I made before it got derailed between us. My hope was we could go back on the topic of the actual post rather than this campaign against me personally.

Quote:
It's funny (to me) because even though you didn't understand the question, you did a pretty good job of answering it. At least part of it.
Feel free to clarify what the question was exactly then and which parts I did and did not answer. I can then proceed to do even better.

Old 12-15-2011, 07:02 AM

Quote:

I am well aware that humans are prone to feeling irrational emotions.

Apparently some of the things you say and the way you say those things trigger my irrational emotions. I completely understand that this is not your problem, but mine. I'm just letting you know what's going on in case you might be interested to know.

Sometimes you do say things that (in my opinion) are worth reading, it is just difficult (from my perspective and perhaps the perspective of a few others) to get through some of your more offensive statements (purely opinion) in order to find some of your "pearls of wisdom".

My apologies, if I once again put something together that you consider to be "a mess". If you can't believe that God made me this way, then maybe you can accept that it's just "the way my brain is wired".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality