Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-14-2011, 05:06 AM

1,727 posts, read 2,539,525 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by runrgirl View Post
Well we have a warped sense of humor and have done several things when people have come to the door, among them: answered the door stark naked and another time my husband wore a viking hat with horns and frizzy blond hair and red lipstick and started playing the guitar and singing the rod stewart song " if ya think im sexy" . Both times they just said like ohh and left.

Sounds like a fun household.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2011, 05:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnywhereElse View Post
When they come to the door to promote their religious beliefs to me, I just politely tell them that I already know what they believe and I have my own beliefs and that ends the conversation. Now, pushy in my life would be a friend, a daughter and wife of a minister. She likes to talk about "Jesus" and desperately wants me to become a Christian so that I will be "saved" but, after years and years, she is trying to accept that my belief is not going to change and that in believing in God and following the Golden Rule, perhaps, just perhaps, I am not totally lost. I can agree to disagree but anyone that is too pushy gets pushed permanently to the curb!

How has this particular friend managed not to get pushed to the curb. It sounds like it took her a while to start trying to back off?

I am guessing she has some qualities that has helped you overlook or somewhat tolerate her desire to "save you"?

Old 12-14-2011, 05:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago60614 View Post
I've never had anyone actually come knock on my family or my door! Do people actually do that? Is that a regional thing?

I'd probably just laugh at them and say "oh hell no" and shut the door. That crap is just silly. Go be religious if you want, but don't go around shoving it in people's faces. I definitely stand up for myself if someone is getting all preachy to me out of the blue.

I don't swear or get angry, I normally just respond to the questions and try to make them feel as upset and uncomfortable as I possibly can. Turn the tables back on them and see how they like it.
You just either live somewhere that there aren't many JW's or other types of aggressive religious people, or in apart of town where people are afraid to go outside?

We get door knockers about once a week. Sometimes, more I think. Of corse I'm not always home, no I am not completely sure.

Last two visits...one time I had a brief conversation with them. It was two ladies, I was home alone and not very busy...

The other one, my family was home, my husband and I had just gotten back from the grocery store and were about to make breakfast for ourselves and or kids. My husband asked me to deal with them and he went to bring in the groceries. I think he's allergic to JW's. So, I told them, it's not a good time and have a good day. They did a short plug and went on their way.

I guess here, they are persistent, but not overly pushy IMO.

Old 12-14-2011, 05:39 AM

5,563 posts, read 7,192,284 times
Meet my deterrent
https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-snc7/296661_10150345135374756_751394755_7868427_1702923 727_n.jpg (broken link)
At 70lb or so, no one enters my premises w/o my meeting them at the gate.

Old 12-14-2011, 08:31 AM

11,289 posts, read 26,081,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by looking4answers12 View Post
You just either live somewhere that there aren't many JW's or other types of aggressive religious people, or in apart of town where people are afraid to go outside?

We get door knockers about once a week. Sometimes, more I think. Of corse I'm not always home, no I am not completely sure.

Last two visits...one time I had a brief conversation with them. It was two ladies, I was home alone and not very busy...

The other one, my family was home, my husband and I had just gotten back from the grocery store and were about to make breakfast for ourselves and or kids. My husband asked me to deal with them and he went to bring in the groceries. I think he's allergic to JW's. So, I told them, it's not a good time and have a good day. They did a short plug and went on their way.

I guess here, they are persistent, but not overly pushy IMO.
Are there more down south or something? I lived in Iowa for 22 years and never once had anyone come knock on our door about religion or jesus. Been in Chicago for 10 years now, I don't think they'd be milling around here pounding on random doors.

I have seen two kids once or twice in my old neighborhood riding on bikes with white shirts and black pants on. I told my friend that looked weird and he said "oh, those are those jesus people come to your door". So I guess they exist to a degree. Sounds like a terrible job!

Old 12-14-2011, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeekerSA View Post
Meet my deterrent

What a cutie! Mine has a false "mean bark" that might have some effect at times. Again, I guess it depends on my mood and what I am doing at any given moment that determines how I handle my visitors.

Old 12-14-2011, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago60614 View Post
Are there more down south or something? I lived in Iowa for 22 years and never once had anyone come knock on our door about religion or jesus. Been in Chicago for 10 years now, I don't think they'd be milling around here pounding on random doors.

I have seen two kids once or twice in my old neighborhood riding on bikes with white shirts and black pants on. I told my friend that looked weird and he said "oh, those are those jesus people come to your door". So I guess they exist to a degree. Sounds like a terrible job!

Maybe. Or maybe our houses are closer together where I live, so it's not as long of a trek? I don't know...

And yeah, probably about as fun as selling hairbrushes or vacuum cleaners. I guess it depends on your perspective, or the company. They usually travel in groups. Pairs at least. Sometimes bigger groups than that.

Last edited by looking4answers12; 12-14-2011 at 09:53 AM.. Reason: too lazy to download spellcheck.

Old 12-14-2011, 11:27 AM

30,907 posts, read 32,869,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeekerSA View Post
Meet my deterrent

Ha ha, that thing would probably scare the God out of me too.

Old 07-10-2016, 05:33 PM

1 posts, read 756 times
What's more personal/rude, me asking about the color of your wife's panties or you asking me about my soul? Who's the one being rude? You know me how? You're in your 20's and you're telling me that you have all of life's answers and you want to come into my home and condescend me and tell me I need to do things your way? Are you stupid, arrogant or just deluded? Wanna come in and talk about it some more? Hey...where ya goin???!!!

Old 07-11-2016, 10:50 AM

5,190 posts, read 5,313,400 times
I just say "Thank you, but I am not interested." Then if they continue to try to get their proverbial foot in the door, I offer an apology or say something along the lines of "You have come to the wrong place, but good luck to you" and I close the door.

I don't really have an issue with this sort of thing. I do get more riled if they are really pests or really trying to shove it down my throat. And this happens, but it's not a big deal.

I live in small town Oklahoma at the moment, so you can see how this would not be an uncommon occurrence.

I'm a nonbeliever, and I do find some of these folks can get pushy or rude, but I try to be civil. I also don't understand people getting up in arms when someone says "God bless you" or "have a blessed day!" I may not believe in god, but that's still a nice sentiment and I don't feel as though someone's trying to forcibly convert me just because they offer such a greeting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality