Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-14-2016, 05:43 AM

1,807 posts, read 1,890,971 times

Advertisements

I approach them honestly; I make it clear that I am happy with my current path, and if they're not being obnoxious about it (and if it's an appropriate place and time), I invite them to discuss our respective religions.

I've learned some fascinating things about the amazing collage that we call 'religion'; I've had some of my misconceptions corrected; and I've also had the chance to correct some of the misconceptions about my own religion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2016, 05:45 AM

1,807 posts, read 1,890,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
Is it that hard to just say "No"?
Do you and your fellows ever listen to 'no'?

Old 07-14-2016, 06:02 AM

5,190 posts, read 5,332,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Petunia 100 View Post
Frankly, I don't give a rat's behind if it takes guts. I'm not "nice" to anyone who comes to my door uninvited to sell me something, except for neighborhood kids. The JW's or any other door to door salesperson can pucker up and smooch my backside.
I see your point. Feel the same way. I don't give door-to-door god salespeople any special consideration. To me they may as well be selling vacuum cleaners or magazine subscriptions. I do think it's rude for people to knock on your door for things like that, but while I may not go outta my way to be nicey nice, I don't slam it in their face. They aren't coming in, though. Made that mistake before.

Vacuums or religion, I basically just say "Sorry, not interested. I ain't buying. Thanks and good luck."

I would say it's in some ways even more rude, people knocking to save your soul or pitch their religion to you. That's personal business. And I do get what JerZ (I think) said about seeing that puppy dog look of hope...near panic...like "Hello...I'm newly indoctrinated into this cult and am on fire! I need to indoctrinate you too or our leader says I'll be responsible for not saving your soul!"

Doesn't creep me though. Just feel sorry for them. And again, I ain't buying.

Old 07-14-2016, 09:08 AM

30,907 posts, read 32,984,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FredNotBob View Post
LOL, an excellent point.

Old 07-14-2016, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Hear, hear. It's easier when you can simply prevent them from coming in your door. But multiple times I have had groups try to "gang-save" me. I used to play in punk bands. Out before or after a gig or on a break, sometimes groups of kids would come up and really get in our faces about Jesus and our souls and through we'd try to respectfully decline or make them aware we were busy, etc., they wouldn't push off, gathered around like a circle of vultures, insisting on praying for us, etc. Had the same thing happen with older people, but in their case they'd take a more "shaming" approach about how we were living wrong and doing things against god and this and that.

The last time this happened to me outside , I was on the University of Oklahoma campus circa 2005, working on my master's degree. Walking from one class to another, I was accosted (and yes, that term is accurate) by a group of four young college-aged guys and one girl who literally encircled me, allowing me to continue walking but continuously yapping at me about my soul, what would happen to my eternal soul if I were to die that day, had I heard the Word (I thought "bird" was the word, but whatever), could they pray with me, could they pray for me, and on and on and on. They got to where they were slowing me down and preventing me from heading to my class on time.

I tried to be gracious for quite some time, explained that I was aware of Christian beliefs, did not share them, "thanks but, no thanks" and so on. They got to where they stopped walking and closed the circle a little more. I said "We're done. Good luck. Not interested, but thanks. Gotta go."

They kept on and kept on until I finally got close to the young man who seemed like the ringleader and said very clearly and calmly: "I am not usually prone to violence, but if all of you do not walk away from me now and leave me alone, there is going to be violence."

It actually had to come to that point. I was not really angry, but it was very frustrating and very, very invasive and rude.

And yes, they backed off. I'm a pretty big guy, but I never, never want to play that "don't make me kick your butt" card. I am really pretty happy-go-lucky and laid back. This, though, was beyond anything like that I have experienced before or since. I honestly thought later maybe it was a prank, but I'm pretty sure they meant business, as did I.

Old 07-14-2016, 10:42 AM

34,254 posts, read 20,529,748 times
What's really sad, is when someone says, "I'll pray for you" and it comes across as an insult. Like they are so much better than a non-christian. Of course, I realize not ALL Christians are like this. Thankfully.

Off topic: Griffis, I didn't know you played in punk bands. I loved the post punk era from the early 80s.

Old 07-14-2016, 10:56 AM

19,942 posts, read 17,180,832 times
Quote:
Do you honestly think I ignore "no" and then barge into a home and continue to preach at them?

I knocked on 30 doors just yesterday to invite people to an ice cream social and a Vacation Bible School. Not once did I enter a home. Only for the select few people that I have personally gotten to know over the past few years did I even talk for more than 20 seconds. Only 1 person declined the flier I was passing out.

Old 07-14-2016, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by _redbird_ View Post
Off topic: Griffis, I didn't know you played in punk bands. I loved the post punk era from the early 80s.
Cool beans! Yeah, started playing guitar and (mostly) bass (as well as some keys, drums, whatever I could bash on) in bands in 1981 and gigged very regularly until about 1998. First generation Okie Punk here. Man, talk about being hated. I know I was a dumb kid and my clothes and hair were liable to provoke yokels and meatheads to name-calling and worse, but I had fun, even when getting called a ****** or having people throw crap at me or take a swing at me, etc.

I have an interest in all kinds of music from all lands and all eras, but I have a real love for punk, new wave and post punk stuff, American and European, from the late-70s to late 80s era. We should talk.

Ummm...but not right here right now. Sorry to derail the thread!

Old 07-14-2016, 11:00 AM

30,907 posts, read 32,984,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
Do you honestly think I ignore "no" and then barge into a home and continue to preach at them?

I knocked on 30 doors just yesterday to invite people to an ice cream social and a Vacation Bible School. Not once did I enter a home. Only for the select few people that I have personally gotten to know over the past few years did I even talk for more than 20 seconds. Only 1 person declined the flier I was passing out.
I don't believe the person you quoted mentioned barging in. I'm not sure ANYONE on this thread has mentioned barging in. That came from your own imagination (and exaggeration).

The person you quoted said you and your kind don't take "no" for an answer (to paraphrase). Perhaps you can assert that you, personally, would take "no" and literally just say thank you and leave quietly. Indeed, some proselytizers do. But MANY of us have had the experience of continuing to be pursued, and the continuous counter-interrogation. "Have you accepted Christ into your heart?" "No, I am not religious. Thank you and good-bye." (Door starts to close) (person talks through closing door) "I used to feel as you did but..." or "In that case are you aware of the dangers of..." or whatever. Person finally goes away...then returns the next week and the next and the next, to knock-knock-knock while you either ignore, or eventually stick your head out to loudly say, "Please leave and don't return to my house," then feel like YOU have to hate YOURSELF for having asserted your own privacy.

And for some, if you don't actively start closing the door they WILL just keep cross-firing at you until you do just slam.

I consider that not taking "no" for an answer, while not physically barging in. I think you're exaggerating with that in order to suggest a claim that NO proselytizers are pushy. And THAT would be ridiculous...full stop.

Old 07-14-2016, 11:05 AM

17,156 posts, read 12,951,087 times
I let my two Great Danes handle them for me. My senior girl is a great watchdog, and the younger girl is our resident deaf cheerleader who loves everyone she sees. Normally I don't answer the door, but on one occasion I mistook the doorbell for a delivery person and opened it, only to be greeted by two Jehovah's Witnesses. What happened next was very interesting. My older Dane ran to the door, lunging and barking viciously at the ladies, while my younger Dane ran up beside her, smiling, tail wagging, trying to see what the commotion was about. Apparently our young cheerleader was ready to accept Jesus into her heart, but you can't teach an old dog new tricks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality