Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-14-2016, 03:38 PM

7,447 posts, read 2,832,835 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerZ View Post
I kind of had a visual of one of those gag undies of an elephant's face.
That probably means you are more creative than me. I see slightly yellowing tightey wighties with at least one stain. And that ends my diversion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2016, 03:46 PM

34,254 posts, read 20,536,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
We've got 18 pages so far of people expressing that irrational fear. I'd encourage you to go back and read some of the statements.
Vizio, you seem to be in some sort of alternate reality like the Westboro folks.

Not one person has shown any sign of irrational fear. In fact, some of us have shown that we treated the religious folks with some kindness, before having our kindness disregarded.

You give credence to why some Christians are perceived in a negative light.

I will pray for you.

Old 07-14-2016, 05:00 PM

6,844 posts, read 2,845,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by looking4answers12 View Post

How do you handle such things?

No one can get into my apartment building without a key, so it isn't a problem for me.

If it was though, it would be on. I'm a weenie, but if I wasn't I'd troll the hell out of them. Or into them. I'd invite them in, and let them get going, and after a few minutes I'd sneak and get some alka seltzer, and discreetly slip them into my mouth, and morph into that girl in The Exorcist.

*growls* "Your Mother washes socks in Hell!!!"

Old 07-15-2016, 08:49 AM

50,369 posts, read 63,964,084 times
I already posted.
JWs are required to go out and spread the message in order to join the church. I don't know why anyone would want to join it in the first place, as if there aren't enough mainstream churches to choose from, without a weird church like that.
My point is, they must be very nervous about going to the doors of strangers. That is why I try to be nice.

Old 07-15-2016, 09:40 AM

4,747 posts, read 2,348,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by looking4answers12 View Post
I actually don't have a major problem with this, but I know that some people do.

In my area, the people who do this most commonly are Jehovas Witnesses. For the past several years, I actually open the door to them, let them do their thing, and then they go on their way. It usually takes about 5 minutes.

I know this isn't for everyone, I am just sharing what I do.

I have friends and family who handle this all sorts of ways...

From hiding and not answering the door(lol) to confronting them with their own beliefs.

I've never been confronted by a friend or co-worker who was overy insistent on talking about their beliefs, but I have heard stories.

My only experience was with a Born Again Christian, who I worked with, but she didn't ever try to have a one on one conversation with me, and her behavior never really bothered ME.

But, it did bother other people at the office. I actually found it somewhat entertaining and a bit amusing. (sorry I have a warped sense of humor sometimes)

You see, the owner of the company was Jewish, the office manager was Jewish and our immediate supervisor- the controller, was also Jewish.

It's where I first learned the expression "Holy Roller" among other things.
Even some of the Christians were annoyed by her.

She played Christian on her desk radio all day, and walked around like "Mary Sunshine", which irritated one co-working with a sardonic nature.

How do you handle such things?
When religious people come to my door wanting to discuss religion I am more than happy to give then all of the religious discussion they want. They don't go away happy, but they do go away.

Old 07-15-2016, 09:48 AM

1,166 posts, read 755,214 times
Quote:
You must REALLY hate Girl Scout Cookie season. I'm guessing you don't come out of your house for weeks!

I have never had a Girl Scout tell me that their sky daddy will punish me for all eternity if I don't buy what they are selling.

Old 07-15-2016, 10:07 AM

19,942 posts, read 17,189,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phxone View Post
I have never had a Girl Scout tell me that their sky daddy will punish me for all eternity if I don't buy what they are selling.
I've never met a Christian that said that, either. It's weird..only you guys continue to spout that nonsense.

Old 07-15-2016, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by _redbird_ View Post
Vizio, you seem to be in some sort of alternate reality like the Westboro folks.

Not one person has shown any sign of irrational fear. In fact, some of us have shown that we treated the religious folks with some kindness, before having our kindness disregarded.

You give credence to why some Christians are perceived in a negative light.

I will pray for you.
There are now 200+ posts on this thread. Many of them are doing just that -- complaining about how to get out of talking to religious people when they dare to knock on your door.

We get called "homophobic" when we dare to say homosexuality is immoral....but when groups of people come to an internet message board to vent about Christians daring to knock on a door....there is no "phobia" involved there?

Seriously people.....get over it. Just say "no" or don't even answer the door.

Old 07-15-2016, 10:29 AM

5,189 posts, read 5,335,175 times
Quote:
There are now 200+ posts on this thread. Many of them are doing just that -- complaining about how to get out of talking to religious people when they dare to knock on your door.
Many people discussing this have clearly stated they react the same way to ANYONE who comes to their door unbidden, whether it is to sell magazines or religion. Not everyone has indicated they would be hostile to such people.

Still waiting for you to show where there are "18 pages of posts" where people are expressing "irrational fears" of this. Won't happen, because that's not reality. it's not what happened here. That's your own paranoia talking.

Quote:
We get called "homophobic" when we dare to say homosexuality is immoral....
Homophobic is apt in this scenario, but I'd use the more overarching "ignorant bigot" catch-all.

Because there is, of course, not one single reason to be disgusted or afraid of homosexuality, or to assert that homosexuals should not be treated the same as any other adults that doesn't stem from hate, fear, ignorance, bigotry, or some combination thereof. Not one.

Quote:
but when groups of people come to an internet message board to vent about Christians daring to knock on a door....there is no "phobia" involved there?
Again, most of the "venting" has consisted of people stating how they don't like their personal doors to be knocked on by any strangers selling anything. a few have gone on to say they consider it extra-rude when people are trying to save souls door-to-door, still others have made jokes (which you perhaps did not perceive as such) about the scenario and a few have expressed more hostile actions. A few.

You have made the claim this thread is 18 pages of people expressing irrational fears. Your claim, your words. You've been given the opportunity to back this up, and refused. because you can't. Because it's all in your head and that's your knee-jerk reaction.

Old 07-15-2016, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Griffis View Post
Many people discussing this have clearly stated they react the same way to ANYONE who comes to their door unbidden, whether it is to sell magazines or religion. Not everyone has indicated they would be hostile to such people.

Still waiting for you to show where there are "18 pages of posts" where people are expressing "irrational fears" of this. Won't happen, because that's not reality. it's not what happened here. That's your own paranoia talking.

Homophobic is apt in this scenario, but I'd use the more overarching "ignorant bigot" catch-all.

Because there is, of course, not one single reason to be disgusted or afraid of homosexuality, or to assert that homosexuals should not be treated the same as any other adults that doesn't stem from hate, fear, ignorance, bigotry, or some combination thereof. Not one.
So then, by that logic, we'd call all those that express disdain for door-knocking Christians to be bigots? Because if all that is requried is disapproval....well, you've got that.

I find it interesting how your definitions and phrasing change depending on who you're referring to. If it's someone you agree with....nothing to be seen there. If not? Well now..they're bigots.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality