Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2011, 10:54 AM

939 posts, read 1,024,501 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mensaguy View Post
Provide concrete evidence if you're going to post such claims.
You won't get those diseases if you don't do that which you get them from doing.

Apparently common sense is something Christians have more of, too?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2011, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whoppers View Post
The above two posts (from Mensaguy and Theogeek) remind me of why "child marriage" has been such a popular option for certain societies: it recognizes the sexual urge and that it will drive people to, well, sexual acts; it blunts the dangers of this (and there are dangers to uncontrolled youthful sexual activity in any society), and the female engages in sexul, married, activity when she reaches puberty. This removes some of the dangers of youthful sexual activity, but it also tends to sacrifice the female for the sake of childbearing. This "sacrifice" is only operative when it is a "child" marriage - or a marriage that is performed when the sexual partners are both sexually mature, in the context of the present situation. It tends to use up women fairly fast, their mortality rate goes up, and they are "sacrificed" to the role of being mothers.

Other societies do not permit marriage until the financial maturity of the male is reached (like in America), and while this has it's advantages it also brings all the disadvantages that "child" marriage attempted to prevent. Will Durant, in his Story of Civilization series, has some interesting comments on this practice, and why Ghandhi opposed it in India. I think I quoted him at length in another thread, concerning this very same topic.

Marriages and relationships are both hard, hard work. They are not easy. But they are well worth it. Just ask anyone who has been together for almost their entire lives whether polygamy is the better way to go, or not. Polygamy may be fun at times, but it doesn't give the constancy that marriage does.

Anwyays - my whole point was that the "study" was a little too broad with it's brush. All religious people have sexual guilt? Even the ones that have sexual rites and practices? Even the ones that celebrate sexuality?
I think you make some good points. I will point out that I have many Indian friends that have waited until their late 20's to get married and yet are not promiscuous.

I will also point out that there is significant irony in the fact that we, as a society, tend to discourage our males from marrying until their mid to late 20's and treat them like children through their college years...but we expect them to engage in some very adult behavior with the other gender.

Old 12-07-2011, 11:04 AM

16,660 posts, read 15,651,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theophane View Post
Atheists are probably "plagued" by more visits to the VD clinic, not to mention the abortion clinic. It balances out.
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Visvaldis View Post
Mere speculation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheoGeek View Post
You won't get those diseases if you don't do that which you get them from doing.

NO! Not good enough. You made the claim. Back it up with facts. Making statements like "you won't get these diseases" and "Apparently common sense" are viewpoints, opinions or conjecture. Post the facts or the rest of us will make assumptions that you don't know what you are talking about and only posted to create controversy.

Old 12-07-2011, 11:09 AM

Quote:
NO! Not good enough. You made the claim. Back it up with facts. Making statements like "you won't get these diseases" and "Apparently common sense" are viewpoints, opinions or conjecture. Post the facts or the rest of us will make assumptions that you don't know what you are talking about and only posted to create controversy.
If I don't fly, do you think I'll die in a plane crash? Do you really need stats for that?

Old 12-07-2011, 11:14 AM

20,948 posts, read 19,041,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Visvaldis View Post
No wonder the religious constantly want to remove sex from everybody's daily life. They feel guilty and envy others who can enjoy sex.

Here's the article from the UK's Daily Mail:
Atheists have 'better sex than religious followers who are plagued with guilt' | Mail Online
Not really.

Generally, religious people tend to have better images of themselves and more self respect. They also tend to take responsibility for their actions.

Cockroaches also have guilt free sex, as do most of the animal kingdom.

One difference, animals actually take responsibility for their actions.

Is you, as a human are willing to accept ALL of the consequences of "guilt free sex", such as STD's, pregnancies and others, go ahead....enjoy.

The problem comes when people want all of the freedoms but none of the responsibilities.

Old 12-07-2011, 11:20 AM

2,705 posts, read 3,118,969 times
Quote:
These are the consequences of sexual promiscuity. The lack of guilt is what I'd call stupidity and irresponsibility. I know you don't want to hear it, but you know it's true.

Old 12-07-2011, 11:21 AM

2,677 posts, read 2,615,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theophane View Post
Atheists are probably "plagued" by more visits to the VD clinic, not to mention the abortion clinic. It balances out.
I have had sex with hundreds of women, and my wife has as many partners, as do most of our friends. Amongst us we've had a cumulative 0 trips to a VD or abortion clinic. Am just saying.

Old 12-07-2011, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheoGeek View Post

I think it's only fair to point out the rank sexual hypocrisy of some Christians.

Old 12-07-2011, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DentalFloss View Post
I have had sex with hundreds of women, and my wife has as many partners, as do most of our friends. Amongst us we've had a cumulative 0 trips to a VD or abortion clinic. Am just saying.
Wow.

Old 12-07-2011, 11:36 AM

16,660 posts, read 15,651,806 times
Once again, the Theo's have made statements they can't back up. Is anybody surprised?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality