Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2011, 11:01 AM

7,871 posts, read 10,128,950 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I think it is a feature of humanity (and probably other animals) that we sometimes don't pay enough attention to.

It can be honed with practice.
It sure can, and it's lots of fun too.

It is hard to explain how to do it though. Do you know of any actual sources for learning how to do this? I don't think I could explain how it works to someone else in plain language, outside of examples like the one above.

How does one train oneself to be more observant and "conscious?"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2011, 11:01 AM

6,034 posts, read 10,681,732 times
Intuition, when used how the OP seems to be using it, doesn't exist.

Old 12-15-2011, 01:50 PM

63,797 posts, read 40,068,856 times
It might be an interesting task to explain these findings by one of the more eminent Professors in my field @ Cornell using the prevailing rationale. It is a PDF version so you can read the entire study.

Daryl Bem, Journal of Personality and Social Psychology, 100, 407-425 © 2011 American Psychological Association

Old 12-15-2011, 03:28 PM

1,727 posts, read 2,548,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury Cougar View Post

And how exactly does the OP seem to be using it?

Old 12-15-2011, 03:30 PM

2,705 posts, read 3,120,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury Cougar View Post
How is that this nonexistent concept called intuition is known to us? Why do we even a word for it?

Old 12-16-2011, 11:31 PM

88,562 posts, read 84,755,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strel View Post
It sure can, and it's lots of fun too.

It is hard to explain how to do it though. Do you know of any actual sources for learning how to do this? I don't think I could explain how it works to someone else in plain language, outside of examples like the one above.

How does one train oneself to be more observant and "conscious?"
Yes, there are books. I read one some years ago called The Still Small Voice--Awakening Your Intuition that had some good, practical steps to start with, but it basically came down to practice, practice, practice. The author of that book throws in references to her religious beliefs which seem to be a mixture of Christianity with reincarnation features, but you could disregard the religious references and still follow the steps. I've read other books since then that include ways to hone intuitive habits.

Old 12-17-2011, 04:32 AM

33,532 posts, read 37,132,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theophane View Post
How is that this nonexistent concept called intuition is known to us? Why do we even a word for it?
I guess in the same way that the nonexistent concept of god is known to us, and we have a word for that as well.

Old 12-17-2011, 01:59 PM

6,712 posts, read 13,458,259 times
I was driving to work the other night and I had a lot on my mind. The stereo was cranked up, I had just installed new headlights in my truck, and it's not that I was distracted but the act of driving was not on my mind. When I pulled in to the parking lot at work I realized that I couldn't remember driving to work. I'm sure everyone has had one of those moments.

It occurred to me that a vestigial part of my brain was doing the driving as my conscious thought, if you call it that, was somewhere else off in La-La Land.

The thing is that I would be willing to bet that it was one of the safer drives to work that I normally experience. My subconscious, or whatever part of my brain was driving that night, was taking everything into account... The brake lights in front of me, the oncoming traffic, stop lights, speed limits, people behind me, to the side of me... All of it.

It kind of confirmed a suspicion of mine that the brain is FAR more active than we give it credit for. It's picking up every little detail, nuance, and iota of life and it processes that information in what would seem to be an almost entirely different "computing center."

I have a lot of confidence that if something were to go awry... Someone cutting me off, someone slamming on the brakes in front of me, etc... I probably would have responded before I was aware of what I was doing. I think there's not a finer example of intuition.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality