Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2011, 08:48 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,529,007 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by looking4answers12 View Post
And you're not angry and hateful Ashe? Cuz sometimes you sure do sound like it.
People with the agenda of dragging society back into the ignorance of the bronze age, yep, I'm pee'ed off because it is nothing but scared little minds succumbing to the fear of irrational concepts.

A president that is delusional to the point he thinks god told him to start a war resulting in the death of 100,000 to 1,000,000 million people is so fricking stupid as to be criminal.

Angry, you damn right I am , the question is why they hell aren't you?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2011, 08:52 PM

177 posts, read 139,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plain and simple View Post
Really? Then who keeps putting up all the signs and billboards, with Christian symbols, saying there is no God and that it's all a myth?
As opposed to the bill boards Iamsecond or the God billboards? I grimace when I see them but I don't think Christians are being hateful by spreading their message, but you seem to think atheists are by spreading theirs.

Quote:
They call Christians fools,
See televangelists, who tell you you'll get rich if you send them money while they fly jets off the money sent to them, and then won't submit to audits

Quote:
radicals
See dominists and Westboro Baptist Church, Newt Gingrich offering the death penalty for drug possession, hate crimes against gays ......

Quote:
and even terrorists.
See abortion clinic killers, and Christian terrorism - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Quote:
They're threatened by the mere mention of God
in government

Quote:
the thought of prayer,
in government

Quote:
and the sight of nativity scenes.
on government property

Quote:
The atheist's attack against religion, especially Christianity, is as hypocritical, intolerant, bigoted, and hateful as they love to claim Christianity is. No sane person is that threatened by a "myth."
The myth isn't threatening, the followers of said myth are because they believe in some pretty brutish and nasty aspects of that myth, whatever that myth may be.

Quote:
Not anti-religious? Get real.
Some aren't. Some atheists are philosophical atheists who hold a position that religionists haven't convinced them and then go on their way.

Old 12-13-2011, 08:54 PM

2,108 posts, read 2,894,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post
In theory, this is true. But in practice, even just ignoring or neglecting religion has the effect of reducing its influence. It's true not all atheists have the same point of view on everything. But more broadly, atheists tend to support social issues that are in opposition to what religious folks would want. So, while I fully understand your dislike of stereotyping, it's understandable why religious folks would feel atheists are anti-religion.
When one is not anti-religion, there are two possibilities: one might be pro-religion, and one might be neither pro- nor anti-religion. Indifferent to religion isn't anti-religion.

To be anti-religion, one must want to actively rid the earth of religion and perhaps despise all religion.

Someone who wouldn't mind if religion went away is not necessarily anti-religion; they just aren't pro-religion either.

There are religious people who support liberal positions on social issues. I think it is a great disservice to social issues to claim one position is the "religious" position and another is the "irreligious" position. Not all religionists feel the same way about those issues, not even all Christians.

Old 12-13-2011, 08:55 PM

2,271 posts, read 2,650,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hueffenhardt View Post

Look at how you speak of atheists below. Notice how there is no qualifier like "some", "a few", "many", etc. You just say "atheists" do this and "atheists" do that. Well, hello, nice to meet you. I am an atheist who doesn't do any of those things.
Hueffenhardt, everything I typed was intentional. I knew full well that, at the start, I was being "all inclusive" and lumping together everyone who calls themselves an atheist. Likewise, I intentionally made a fairer, more rational, comparison in my latter statements.

That was my whole point. See how you felt being lumped together with radicals and rude, obnoxious folks? That's how Christians feel when it's done DAILY by atheists online and in the media. Those radical, rude atheists lump together every person whose ever called themselves a Christian. Sadly, when it comes to online forums, comment sections and the news media, atheism absolutely does mean "anti-religion." It's the job of atheists like YOU to change that perception and speak up against the radicalization of the loud and obnoxious ones.

My whole point in posting all of this is in the hopes that someone - perhaps a loud, outspoken, anti-religion atheist - will read it and realize the truth. Just as everyone should realize that not all atheists are mean, horrible people; that they can be just as kind, loving and charitable as anyone else.

Old 12-13-2011, 08:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hueffenhardt View Post

Look at how you speak of atheists below. Notice how there is no qualifier like "some", "a few", "many", etc. You just say "atheists" do this and "atheists" do that. Well, hello, nice to meet you. I am an atheist who doesn't do any of those things.
Thank you, Hueffenhardt, for being observant and catching onto the second point I wanted to make. Everything I typed was intentional. I knew full well that, at the start, I was being "all inclusive" and lumping together everyone who calls themselves an atheist with the rude, bullying ones. Likewise, I intentionally made a fairer, more rational, comparison in my latter statements.

That was my whole point. See how you felt being lumped together with radicals and rude, obnoxious folks? That's how Christians feel when it's done DAILY by atheists online and in the media. Those radical, rude atheists lump together every person whose ever called themselves a Christian. Sadly, when it comes to online forums, comment sections and the news media, atheism absolutely does mean "anti-religion." It's the job of atheists like YOU to change that perception and speak up against the radicalization of the loud and obnoxious ones.

My whole point in posting all of this is in the hopes that someone - perhaps a loud, outspoken, anti-religion atheist - will read it and realize the truth. Just as everyone should realize that not all atheists are mean, horrible people; that they can be just as kind, loving and charitable as anyone else.

Old 12-13-2011, 08:57 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,529,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theophane View Post
If I didn't know better, I'd say you had something against religion.
Just the willful ignorance that it imposes upon society, into laws, and the threat it poses to our freedoms and security.

Old 12-13-2011, 09:00 PM

2,705 posts, read 3,120,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emotionalintel View Post
As opposed to the bill boards Iamsecond or the God billboards? I grimace when I see them but I don't think Christians are being hateful by spreading their message, but you seem to think atheists are by spreading theirs.

See televangelists, who tell you you'll get rich if you send them money while they fly jets off the money sent to them, and then won't submit to audits

See dominists and Westboro Baptist Church, Newt Gingrich offering the death penalty for drug possession, hate crimes against gays ......

See abortion clinic killers, and Christian terrorism - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

in government

in government

on government property

The myth isn't threatening, the followers of said myth are because they believe in some pretty brutish and nasty aspects of that myth, whatever that myth may be.

Some aren't. Some atheists are philosophical atheists who hold a position that religionists haven't convinced them and then go on their way.

I love it!

Slippery as Al Capone!

Old 12-13-2011, 09:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post
Just the willful ignorance that it imposes upon society, into laws, and the threat it poses to our freedoms and security.
Actually, it does more to protect and defend your freedom and security than it does to restrict it. Those who claim that it doesn't are usually those who rebel against any type of authority, structure or rules. They want to live however they want without consequences. But those folks hypocritically cry FOUL! and try to restrict the rights and freedoms of other that THEY don't agree with. Funny. Isn't that what they were fighting against in the first place? Just like a Pot and Kettle situation.

Old 12-13-2011, 09:06 PM

2,705 posts, read 3,120,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post
Your freedom ends where the other person's freedom begins. That's the deal. If you don't like freedom of speech, religion, or association, go live somewhere where these things can't bother you. You might have to leave Earth altogether and live on the dark side of the moon.

Old 12-13-2011, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emotionalintel View Post
Christian signs and billboards only exercised their freedom of speech and freedom of religion to speak their beliefs. Atheist signs and billboards are hateful and bigoted because they use other religion's symbols (mostly Christianity's) and they're messages only attack other religions. That's pure hate, bigotry, and hypocritical.

Quote:

See abortion clinic killers,...
Read my earlier post about folks who CLAIM to be Christians and how atheists like yourself love to lump everyone together. You're not interested in the truth of who is, and isn't, a Christian. You don't care. You're message is one of pure hate. You only attack. How are your hate crimes ANY different than those committed by ANYONE else? Hypocrite.

Did you READ my post regarding Westboro Baptist Church? Thanks for proving my point perfectly and irrefutably.

Christians don't bomb abortion clinics or doctors. But here's a thought. Why aren't you just as outraged for the babies who are murdered? Why are women aborting them? Because they have a living, growing person inside them. It's not an inanimate object or foreign entity. It's a living human being. Where's your outrage? Aren't YOU playing God by deciding who gets to live and who can die? That's hypocrisy.

Quote:
on government property
Why should anyone in Wisconsin care what's going on in North Carolina when the residents of that North Carolina county aren't complaining? Because you hate. You discriminate. You don't stand FOR anything. You're only against.

Quote:
Once again, you prove my point. You know NOTHING about Christianity or what it is to BE a Christian. You only know hatred.

Quote:
My, how tolerant you are of your own people. How wonderful of you. Complete hatred for Christians, Christianity, God, etc., They're all the same and in one big category of wrong. But, atheists, well, my-oh-my, we have all kinds and they aren't all the same, are they?

I feel intense pity and sadness for you. I really, really do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality