U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
 
Old 12-15-2011, 07:57 PM
 
31,308 posts, read 16,519,653 times
Reputation: 14235
Evolution - Theory or Fact?

Evolution is theory and thus by definition is fact.

 
Old 12-15-2011, 08:04 PM
 
Location: Richardson, TX
7,641 posts, read 5,897,991 times
Reputation: 3100
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
Evolution - Theory or Fact?

Evolution is theory and thus by definition is fact.

Well......they are different things.

THis should be required reading in these discussions.

Stephen Jay Gould, "Evolution as Fact and Theory" 1994
 
Old 12-15-2011, 08:24 PM
 
Location: Valencia, Spain
7,884 posts, read 4,260,367 times
Reputation: 1505
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post

Creationist hypothesis number one busted.....Next?
Extraordinary! Quite extraordinary!!!! Do you think we should give them an 'I've shot myself in the foot' award???
 
Old 12-15-2011, 08:29 PM
 
Location: Ohio
7,624 posts, read 3,205,492 times
Reputation: 3750
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper 88 View Post
What ignorance lol. You obviously have no idea how the moon was formed { i dont dare say created for fear of being taken out of context } For you "theory" about the moon touching the earth to be correct, you would have to assume they both coexisted alwayy and were formed at the same exact time. As they say, a little bit of learning is a dangerous thing.

Let me educate you. The most popular school of thought is that the moon was merely the result of a large impact with early earth. All the debris from this impact floated into space. It however, stayed in early earths orbit where it would eventualy form what we now call the moon. Do yourselves a favor and do a little more research before making wild claims, no one wants to end up with egg on their face or be one upped by someone else who does know what ther talking about.
Just Wanted to ad a little something to this. Sio since if the moon and earth were created at the same time the math wouldn't ad up, it is actualy YOUR "God created it" theory, that falls short and ultimately fails when the math is done. You do believe God created the earth and themoon at relatively the same time dont you? Or are you going to bend the six day creation story to fit your argument in the affirmative?

Last edited by WhipperSnapper 88; 12-15-2011 at 08:47 PM..
 
Old 12-15-2011, 08:53 PM
 
Location: Sierra Nevada Land, CA
4,484 posts, read 2,787,256 times
Reputation: 2601
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
Evolution - Theory or Fact?

Evolution is theory and thus by definition is fact.
Somebody needs a dictionary. Just sayin'.
 
Old 12-15-2011, 08:59 PM
 
Location: Valencia, Spain
7,884 posts, read 4,260,367 times
Reputation: 1505
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post
Somebody needs a dictionary. Just sayin'.
Yeeees! You I think....just sayin'.


A set of statements or principles devised to explain a group of facts or phenomena. Most theories that are accepted by scientists have been repeatedly tested by experiments and can be used to make predictions about natural phenomena.
theory - definition of theory by the Free Online Dictionary, Thesaurus and Encyclopedia.
 
Old 12-15-2011, 09:12 PM
 
1,745 posts, read 957,978 times
Reputation: 914
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post
Somebody needs a dictionary. Just sayin'.
Yes.
You, obviously.

 
Old 12-15-2011, 09:46 PM
 
Location: Washingtonville
2,506 posts, read 843,755 times
Reputation: 431
Quote:
Originally Posted by O-Ducky View Post
Amazing Fact number one: the moon gets further and further away from the earth as time goes on (I don't remember the feet per year, but I think 800ft) and this makes it impossible that the earth has been here millions of years because the moon would have been rubbing up against the earth.
What does cosmogenesis have to do with evolution?

Please watch this video instead.

Evolution - YouTube
 
Old 12-15-2011, 10:33 PM
 
Location: South Africa
5,357 posts, read 3,236,030 times
Reputation: 1627
Quote:
Originally Posted by O-Ducky View Post
Amazing Fact number one: the moon gets further and further away from the earth as time goes on (I don't remember the feet per year, but I think 800ft) and this makes it impossible that the earth has been here millions of years because the moon would have been rubbing up against the earth.
I just want to address the obvious lack of math acumen you have.

it is 3.8cm per year which in your imperial weights and measures would be
3.8/2.54 1.496 inches per year.

You then go on to say 800 feet per 1000 years, well that is still 0.8 feet per year which is way more than an inch and a half.

Like most creationists, your math acumen is limited to simple linear 'rithmatik and does not account for variables like logarithmic algorithms (that is not Al Gore's real name btw) and the mere fact that the moon and earth each have their own gravity. Using your linear model would not work as we would have inertia needed applied to the moon that would overcome the earth's gravitational force 6 times greater than the moon.

Taking your presupposition of the moon scraping the earth, assuming an inertia/centrifical effect of the moon spinning in such a way that it could defy the known laws of gravity related to mass of an object viz the acceleration required to break free of earth's gravity, none of what you have proposed has any bearing on reality.



I am not going to do an inertia calculation to try and determine the speed the moon would have had to be travelling using your reverse engineered "hypothesis" but the pic above should tell you, you have no frigging clue what you are talking about.

It has been mentioned what the prevailing thought on the moon is and guess what? The moon rocks they brought back more or less match those of the earth and are about 4.5Bn years old. The impact model is this likely as a force that big, would result in a moon but of course that was waay back before man or his invented gods existed.

Taking my literary skills in the English language, your god only created cattle and bugs.
25 And God made the beast of the earth according to its kind, cattle according to its kind, and everything that creeps on the earth according to its kind. And God saw that it was good.
Beast being all encompassing of the cattle and bugs. I am sure you would say that is not what the verse is saying but that is a literal rendition based on the words, their order and the punctuation used.

So PTL, Lord of cattle and critters.
 
Old 12-15-2011, 10:46 PM
 
Location: Victoria, BC.
24,020 posts, read 16,655,081 times
Reputation: 9614
O-Ducky is assuming that the moon was created at the same time as the earth, but the theory that most scientists currently believe states that when the Earth was quite young, a Mars -sized planet crashed into it. The planet crashed with such speed that it was completely destroyed, and almost destroyed the Earth. The planet was coming in with such force that when it was destroyed, the molten iron in its core continued to travel through Earth, to eventually be included it its core. This explains why the Moon has very little iron. The collision sent tons of rock and debris into orbit. These fragments eventually coalesced to form the Moon. The tidal and rotational forces in play also account for why the moon's day is exactly the same as it's "year." The fact that the rocks from the moon have been dated at the same age as the earth is another piece of evidence that the moon was once part of the earth.

It is not known when this event happened, so attempting to calculate when the moon was near the earth using today's recession rate is futile.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top