Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-16-2011, 01:23 PM

16,671 posts, read 15,668,595 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheoGeek View Post
It's not amusing...it's sad. He knew he was a sinner. He still refused to admit he needed a savior. He suppressed the truth in unrighteousness.
Having no belief in a god would mean that sin in an unimportant concept. Without a belief in a god, why would he need a savior?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2011, 01:25 PM

16,671 posts, read 15,668,595 times
Quote:
Try listening to the audio. Between 14:00 and 14:30.
I still found nothing of the sort. I linked to the transcript so exact quotes could be used. If such a quote exists, post it so we can discuss.

Old 12-16-2011, 01:27 PM

31,767 posts, read 28,815,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theophane View Post
No one is immune to vanity.

No one.
Then ALL people better start worshipping ALL Gods, not just one they picked and chose to, or from the religion they were born into.

Old 12-16-2011, 01:29 PM

2,705 posts, read 3,120,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury Cougar View Post
Because religion is like a penis. It's fine to have one, fine to enjoy it in private, but don't walk down the street waving it around and touching people with it, and for goodness sakes, keep it away from our schools and children.
In the most vulgar sense, I think you're right. Religion expansionism is certainly tied to the male ego. The need to conquer. In the sense that religion often brings out the worst in people, it is a sword (phallus?) that doesn't know when to remain in the sheath. Holy wars as we know them are fuelled by testosterone and religious zeal in equal amounts.

Old 12-16-2011, 01:32 PM

2,705 posts, read 3,120,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
Then ALL people better start worshipping ALL Gods, not just one they picked and chose to, or from the religion they were born into.
Vanity arises not because of which gods we worship, but because of who we are. It's not tied to religion at all. Human nature is more basic than religion or non-religion.

Old 12-16-2011, 01:36 PM

5,563 posts, read 7,213,605 times
Quote:
I appreciate your candor, Seeker, but I am not your judge. It's not up to me to decide what kind of man you are.
I appreciate that, I hope you can see that this garbage that we are are sinners is you being made a victim of something you really should not feel any guilt/deficient over.

Were I a twit that beat my wife/kids, there are laws to deal with that. There are also rehabilitation methods that would address both the victim and perp, for the perp that is jail.

If I was an alcoholic and drove my car and was stopped. Buh bye licence and hefty fine and possible jail time and suspension for at least 5 years before I get to drive again. Programs to help alcoholics.

There are consequences to our actions and as a society, we are usually aware of them. The reality is that in the xian circles, they do not appear to have ANY one ups on unbelievers and I am talking of those claiming born again status and filled with the hs.

So at the end of the day all you have is extra guilt and the vain hope of one day being able to be a better person like after you are dead. In the meantime you wrestle against what you perceive to be your shortcomings and unless I am very lucky, it simply boils down to, I never needed "god" before or after my conversion and deconversion.

Am I perfect? No. Could I be better? yes. Who can make the change? Only ME. There is no magic formula.

ETA: Yes friends can help you, community can help you. That is about all the church can offer but usually they simply have no answers and just pile on the guilt.

Old 12-16-2011, 01:38 PM

6,712 posts, read 13,459,170 times
Quote:
OK? I am probably even more of a sinner than either one of them. What's your point? Unless we realize we are sinful people we won't see a need for someone to save us from the judgment for that sin.
What B-S! What's it like going through life carrying around the guilt on your shoulders that you were technically born an evil person full of all sorts of bad things?

The entire concept of this guilt trip is to play on other people's consciences to get them to think like you do. It has absolutely nothing to do with reality and those dictates don't come from anything resembling a fair and loving God but a congenial, vanity obsessed, ego-maniacal dictator who says that unless you believe in him he'll just cast you into eternal torment.

Most people who don't live in the Stone Age have realized that the world is full of opportunities to make us feel guilty about the things we've done. I can see the look on someone's face if I've harmed them or hurt them. I can detect the results of my actions if they're good or bad and I can gauge the level of guilt with which to respond and how to respond.

This whole practice of "Jesus forgives my sons" is almost getting to the point of being morally unacceptable. It is almost parallel to committing a crime and then running to the local District Attorney to ask for forgiveness. Rather than making peace with the victim, it's all about appeasing the overly judgmental and highly critical District Attorney so YOU don't end up in trouble - despite what you've done to someone else.

Old 12-16-2011, 02:11 PM

31,767 posts, read 28,815,462 times
Quote:
Vanity arises not because of which gods we worship, but because of who we are. It's not tied to religion at all. Human nature is more basic than religion or non-religion.
Well, thank you for making the point an atheist would. So, why are we discussing it in this thread again?

Old 12-16-2011, 02:23 PM

3,483 posts, read 4,044,527 times
Quote:
Young? He was 62.
That's fairly young from some people's persepctives.

Old 12-16-2011, 02:27 PM

3,483 posts, read 4,044,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunjee View Post
Anyone who's known of Christopher Hitchens isn't surprised at his volatile rhetoric. He was a contrarian and a polemicist. He had a very strong mind and a powerful, funny, confrontational, and charismatic voice to express it. So whatever topic he tackled it was going to be guns blazing, including his atheism. That was just Christopher Hitchens.

By the same metaphor, I will remember him more as a rather odious war hawk. But that's for another forum.

He certainly was in favor of killing as many religious extremists as possible in Bush's War on Terror. Many peace-loving fans seem to forget that aspect of him - his conservatism.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality