Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2011, 06:53 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,529,007 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodrow LI View Post
Just an odd question I;ve been severly injured several times and the times the injuries were the most severe and very life threarening, I did not feel any pain. also noticed in combat the ones who I saw die from massive injuries did not seem to feel any pain. Have you noticed the same as a first responder?
I've seen a mix, both ways, the non-life threatening where the person was in extreme pain, to not complaining and more worried about others. Like the 10 year old boy whose forearm took a 90 degree bend between his wrist and elbow, a classic compound fracture, and was more worried about him mom seeing it (she was still on her way). The poor little guy was also terrified on how they were going to fix it at the hospital.

The life threatening, usually MVA's often are going into shock, also a real threat, which seems to dull to block the pain, but not always.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2011, 07:04 PM

15,501 posts, read 17,075,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post
I've seen a mix, both ways, the non-life threatening where the person was in extreme pain, to not complaining and more worried about others. Like the 10 year old boy whose forearm took a 90 degree bend between his wrist and elbow, a classic compound fracture, and was more worried about him mom seeing it (she was still on her way). The poor little guy was also terrified on how they were going to fix it at the hospital.

The life threatening, usually MVA's often are going into shock, also a real threat, which seems to dull to block the pain, but not always.
Shock would probably explain what I experienced. Shock does strange things, besides being deadly.

Old 12-18-2011, 07:19 PM

175 posts, read 296,438 times
OK...I have been near death a few times, one time being fully awake and aware.

Without all the details, I'll give you the important ones of that time:

I had already lost more than half the blood in my body and I had been rushed into surgery. I was losing so much blood it splashed on the nurse when they lifted me from the transport table to the operating table. I was in shock, and I wasn't feeling pain anymore. I was terribly confused, and suddenly it occurred to me "Oh my God, I'm dying..." and this feeling of utter horror came into my head. I suddenly wanted to grab everything and everyone in the room as if I were falling and pull it toward me. I actually tried to lift my arms but they wouldn't work. Someone grabbed my throat, shoved a tube down it and I passed out.

The primary feeling I had was that this couldn't be happening and I couldn't be dying. The feeling of being scared was so intense I can't even possibly describe it with words. It was as if all the feelings of despair I had ever had in my life multiplied and I could no longer even think. Prior to that I never thought I could actually die...I mean I knew I could, but really I always thought that medical science could save me no matter what, because it always had before. But there was this lightbulb moment, a moment of realization during this ordeal that we really are fragile like glass and we can be broken. And I was breaking. Maybe that's why I wanted to grab everything like I was falling...when I couldn't grab anything I swear it felt like my heart would stop. It actually felt like my life was failing, that's the most honest word I can use.

Maybe because the team saved me I never saw any lights, or anything like that, and I am a truly faithful person who believes in God with all my heart. But I can tell you that's what I felt when I was dying. There was no peaceful moment, there was desperation and a frantic need to hold on to something.

Old 12-18-2011, 08:30 PM

8,831 posts, read 11,622,031 times
My NDE was similar, i didn't see what all the fuss was about. You try to grab onto something that seems familiar but as I was passed out I didn't see a thing.........it was complete and total darkness. It's darkness, there's no question about it. When you awake you realize that omg this is it, there's nothing after this. Let's make the best of what we have in the very present, reality aside.

Old 12-18-2011, 11:06 PM

2,949 posts, read 5,499,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post
No they haven't, They may have been without a pulse, and not breathing, and definitely on their way to being dead without timely intervention.

As a Volunteer FF/First Responder I have performed CPR on a number of dying people, the majority of which did die, but not all, I have also done CPR on a patient to have him come by the fire station a month later and thank us for saving his life. One even was talking to us in the ambulance on the way to the hospital after we restored his heartbeat.

Now what a person goes through as while their brain is suffering from a lack of oxygen is anyone guess. I suspect that chest pains and loosing consciousness sure gives one the feeling they are dying, and coming to later would lead anyone to believe they had a NDE, cause they did.

OBTW, death occurs when brain function occurs, and no one has come back from that.
I have read of a brain surgery where they actually cool the body to 60 degrees and not only stop the flow of blood but actually drain the blood from the head. The person has no vital signs and brain waves are flatlined.
The person is actually dead or in suspended animation. They then remove the aneurysm. After the procedure,the body temperature is restored,heart restarted which starts blood flow.

Supposedly the key element in the whole procedure is the cooling of the body. They found that children who had drowned in cold water were able to be resuscitated even hrs later. So they cool the body down and not only stop the heart, breathing, and oxygen to the brain. But they actually drain the blood from the head. Amazing!

Old 12-19-2011, 01:55 AM

2,245 posts, read 4,232,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
Why is it that so many cannot accept the finality of death? The process of dying can be swift and gentle, or in can be prolonged and very painful, but actual death happens when all body and brain functions cease, and that is but an instant of time....When death occurs our consciousness simply reverts to what it was before birth...Nothingness...Why would anyone fear that?
How do you know it was "nothingness" before birth? That statement almost sounds like it's based on blind faith.

Old 12-19-2011, 02:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Djuna View Post

I have yet to see any evidence of this spirit consciousness. All consciousness lies within different areas of our brain so it's logical to assume if our brain dies that's it.
I presume you are self-aware, as am I. You are "in your body", so to speak. This manifest of energy does not simply reflect the physical specifications of a human mind, as a human mind is just a physical device, such as a computer's processor or a bicycle.

How do you explain the focus of energy that puts you within your body? How is it you are there, and not within any other confine? The body is simply a mechanical device, but that consciousness, that presence within its confine, that's your spiritual consciousness.

Old 12-19-2011, 02:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEarthBeneathMe View Post
Anyone a fan of Skeptoid?

"Dr. Penny Sartori placed playing cards in obvious places on top of operating room cabinets at a hospital in Wales in 2001, while she was working as a nurse, as part of a supervised experiment. Although she's a believer in the afterlife, and documented fifteen cases of reported out-of-body experiences by patients during her research, not one person ever reported seeing the playing cards or even knowing they were there."

Much more on NDE at:

Near Death Experiences
That's a fine little anecdote. Here's one of my own:

"James T. knew somebody who, whilst unconscious, at times left their body, and could report on what was happening in another room to 100% accuracy."

How's that then?

Old 12-19-2011, 03:06 AM

1,429 posts, read 2,445,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Visit a Library View Post
That's a fine little anecdote. Here's one of my own:

"James T. knew somebody who, whilst unconscious, at times left their body, and could report on what was happening in another room to 100% accuracy."

How's that then?
How is your analogy?

Failed and dissimilar.

Dr. Sartori was a nurse who undertook experiments in the operating room where she placed cards around various locations within the room. She is a strong believer in NDE and this was her attempt to collaborate what was reported with physical evidence.

Turns out, all the people who claimed to have had NDE and "floated around the room" - not one noticed the playing cards in plain sight.

Old 12-19-2011, 12:53 PM

2,949 posts, read 5,499,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEarthBeneathMe View Post
How is your analogy?

Failed and dissimilar.

Dr. Sartori was a nurse who undertook experiments in the operating room where she placed cards around various locations within the room. She is a strong believer in NDE and this was her attempt to collaborate what was reported with physical evidence.

Turns out, all the people who claimed to have had NDE and "floated around the room" - not one noticed the playing cards in plain sight.
Dr. Sartori actually believes there is something to NDE`s. This is an example of someone taking this experiement (cards in the room) and drawing their own conclusions. The very person who conducted the experiment believes different than you do.

She has been contacted by Neuro doctors who actually believe there is something else going on. For instance, what causes the electric impulse in the brain. Where does it originate from. If you reach out and touch someone`s arm,what caused your brain to start the process.

One doctor likened our brain to a computer. But something else is causing the computer to work. What is it that starts it working? What feeds it information. In other words, something else is controlling the brain. The brain just doesn`t jump start itself. Electric acivity in the brain cannot be spontaneous.

The point I`m making is we can take a bit of information and turn into whatever we want. If you want to be an atheist,you`ll find ways to twist information to support that belief. If you believe in an afterlife, then you`ll look for info to support that view. But Dr. Sartori was brought up in an earlier post to suggest that nothing happens after we die. But the truth is, she tends to believe something else is going on that science can`t explain. Not only that, but there are neurosuregeons and ER doctors that believe that as well. There are doctors that believe in nothing and ones that believe in an afterlife. So if you are an atheist, you just can`t say ALL doctors believe in nothing, or I`m an ER nurse and I`m an atheist. As if being in the healthcare field makes that person an expert. Because there are plenty of experienced doctors who believe differently. So who really is the expert?

You can read more at this link...Dr Penny Sartori
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality