Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2007, 12:13 PM

193 posts, read 1,027,780 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by arguy1973 View Post
My question is...did her (soon to be ex) husband cheat on her? And I wasnt speaking of any type of sexual relationship outside of marriage in my prev post, I feel that is wrong.
They have been married for 12 years and she recently caught him using cocaine. As she found that out she found he has been having relationships with other women for many years. They have 4 daughters and he is now living with another woman and they plan on having a child together. This is very sad because they are both drug addicts. I feel for my friend because she has found a wonderful man but deep down I can't justify them starting this relationship because she is still married according to the law. But isn't she just as guilty even though she did not commit adultry first? What is the right passage according to scripture. For me it would be get divorced first and then talk to god, ask him to guide you. I feel the children need the most attention in this difficult time and another man in my opinion is not going to make matters any easier.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2007, 12:18 PM

[quote=irishmom;1390963]Ok I'm not one that believe's the bible is the absolute Word of God

Do you not believe that the bible is 100 percent true or just parts?

Old 08-30-2007, 12:27 PM

3,434 posts, read 9,741,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lpdsag View Post
They have been married for 12 years and she recently caught him using cocaine. As she found that out she found he has been having relationships with other women for many years. They have 4 daughters and he is now living with another woman and they plan on having a child together. This is very sad because they are both drug addicts. I feel for my friend because she has found a wonderful man but deep down I can't justify them starting this relationship because she is still married according to the law. But isn't she just as guilty even though she did not commit adultry first? What is the right passage according to scripture. For me it would be get divorced first and then talk to god, ask him to guide you. I feel the children need the most attention in this difficult time and another man in my opinion is not going to make matters any easier.
Id say start talking to God now..
I wasnt trying to assign guilt, whats done is done, the key is to ask God for forgiveness, and do ones best to go forward.

If I was asked for my advice on this, heres what I would say...wait till AFTER the divorce is final,and youve had time to think, pray, give it to God, get involved in church, talk to a pastor, before even thinking about getting into a new relationship.

**I believe the Bible is 100 % accurate

Old 08-30-2007, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arguy1973 View Post
Id say start talking to God now..
I wasnt trying to assign guilt, whats done is done, the key is to ask God for forgiveness, and do ones best to go forward.

If I was asked for my advice on this, heres what I would say...wait till AFTER the divorce is final,and youve had time to think, pray, give it to God, get involved in church, talk to a pastor, before even thinking about getting into a new relationship.

**I believe the Bible is 100 % accurate
I agree with you 100%. I don't think you can pick and choose what parts of the bible you believe. I feel it is all or nothing. I also agree with you, I would pray and ask for gods guidance. You and I are right on par with this!!

Old 08-30-2007, 12:52 PM

3,684 posts, read 11,812,692 times
[quote=lpdsag;1391329]
Quote:
Originally Posted by irishmom View Post
Ok I'm not one that believe's the bible is the absolute Word of God

Do you not believe that the bible is 100 percent true or just parts?
There have been too many threads about this to take this one in that direction at this time, you can do a search if you are really interested in that topic. For the topic at hand the rest of the post is the actual point I was trying to make.

Old 10-11-2007, 07:52 PM

539 posts, read 1,923,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooseketeer View Post
Why would you look for god if you knew he didn't exist, I don't really grasp that concept. You either are an atheist, an agnostic or a believer...

No, no...............this is a common misconception.

I once heard someone say that there are 6 billion people and consequently there are 6 billion religions. This is probably true, every one's worldview is at least slightly different from everyone else's.

To think that everyone neatly fits into one of those three categories is a little crazy. What do you call someone like me, who beileves in God and even prays to God but does not follow any organized religion? If I'm a believer, what am I a believer in? An official religon or just a general beilef in God? I know God exists, so I can't be atheist. I don't question God's existence so I can't be an agnostic.

Old 10-12-2007, 08:23 AM

356 posts, read 1,128,952 times
Oh these pesky labels we allow ourselves to be given. I am an atheist and I would not say that I am looking for God, but I AM looking for something..... a philosophy, a movement, a religion (gasp), I am not sure. It has been over 20 years since I walked away from Christianity and now that I have a little person in my life asking me questions I want to provide him with non-biased answers, with no knee jerk reactions. That is why I find myself here. Without being the target of any poster on here I get great "advice" on approaching these topics, from the atheists and Christians alike. For that I am grateful. My kid wants to know what church is, so that is what we will do - pick a church and go together and then have an honest and frank discussion about it. We tried this once before when he was younger but he didn't get what was going on and was grumpy when I wouldn't let him have the juice and bread.

Old 10-13-2007, 04:23 PM

659 posts, read 1,373,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lpdsag View Post
She was, but is now letting the grace of god work in her life.
This poor girl, first happy as an Atheist then advised by friend to find guilt through God. This cannot be right, can it?

Old 10-13-2007, 04:28 PM

6,712 posts, read 13,454,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by famenity View Post
This poor girl, first happy as an Atheist then advised by friend to find guilt through God. This cannot be right, can it?
I'm with you, it doesn't make sense to me either

Old 10-13-2007, 04:50 PM

659 posts, read 1,373,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTbound View Post
Oh these pesky labels we allow ourselves to be given. I am an atheist and I would not say that I am looking for God, but I AM looking for something..... a philosophy, a movement, a religion (gasp), I am not sure. It has been over 20 years since I walked away from Christianity and now that I have a little person in my life asking me questions I want to provide him with non-biased answers, with no knee jerk reactions. That is why I find myself here. Without being the target of any poster on here I get great "advice" on approaching these topics, from the atheists and Christians alike. For that I am grateful. My kid wants to know what church is, so that is what we will do - pick a church and go together and then have an honest and frank discussion about it. We tried this once before when he was younger but he didn't get what was going on and was grumpy when I wouldn't let him have the juice and bread.
Really can't see the problem here when my son asked about religion I told him quiet clearly my opinion (as an Atheist) did not have any doubts and he has grown into a strong headed young adult confident and reliant on his own judgment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality