Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2011, 11:03 AM

15,706 posts, read 11,752,974 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by theflipflop View Post
Oooh, too much to respond to. I know "science prooves" the whole connection. But I think it proves nothing. We all know these are just theories. And MY theory is that all of science is not being used to "discover" anything. Science is useful because it maps out in terms we can understand the amazing things G-d created.
You don't seem to understand the meaning of a scientific theory. It does not mean a guess, as it does in layman's terms. Nothing in science ever becomes stronger than a theory. A theory explains the mechanisms behind a scientific phenomenon. Gravity is "just a theory" too, but I seriously doubt you reject that. And yet, evolution has far more evidence supporting it than gravity. Some other theories you might know of: Atoms, Germs, Plate tectonics, relativity, etc.

Quote:
Why does evolving from an ape bother me? Because that's not the way G-d said He created us. He said He formed us from the dirt and then breathed a soul into us. Then we had babies, and so on.
He also said the Earth is flat and the sun revolves around it. Stop assuming Genesis is literal. There is no solid dome sitting on top of the earth as described in Genesis. Even most Jews do not take it literally, and haven't for centuries.

Quote:
This really isn't a discussion of "is evolution good science or not." It's really a discussion of do you believe in G-d's words, or do you believe in scientific theories. And if you don't believe there is a G-d, then why are we even having this discussion?
There is a difference between what the Bible says and what people interpret it to mean. Obviously you're making the very arrogant assumption that your interpretation of a Hebrew song translated into English is accurate, or that God ever intended it to be literal. There are a million things wrong with a literal Genesis. Us being Apes is hardly the most problematic.

Quote:
A better discussion might go like this: those who believe in G-d, what do you think about the similarities b/w apes and man? And those of you who do not believe in G-d, well... I'm not really sure what you all have to discuss. You should probably just watch a program of NOVA on PBS and feel good that you know the "truth."
As a theist, I believe God intended evolution to be the mechanism that created biodiversity on our planet and the rest of the universe, and humans were God's choice of which species would evolve with rationality, logic, and high intelligence.

Old 12-23-2011, 11:10 AM

3,295 posts, read 7,005,021 times

I want to be like you - Jungle Book Songs - YouTube

Old 12-23-2011, 11:12 AM

16,294 posts, read 28,481,426 times

Old 12-23-2011, 11:15 AM

16,294 posts, read 28,481,426 times

Old 12-23-2011, 11:23 AM

4,729 posts, read 4,352,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiker45 View Post
You make a lot of sense, Flip.

So why do people argue about evolution?

We both will use an oven to fix our Christmas dinner, but we don't need to argue about who built the oven and how they did it.
You'll surely be the first and last person today to assume I'll be fixing a Chrstman dinner. ha ha. But I do like the way you made your point.

Quote:
Some other theories you might know of: Atoms, Germs, Plate tectonics, relativity, etc.
I'm not convinced of all of those theories either. You see, it's just as hard for me to prove to myself those theories are true, as it is for you to prove anything in the Bible to be true to you. I'm not a scientist, and I doubt you are an accomplished Torah scholar. So we take it on faith that the theories (science and bible) are true. I guess that means we're both people of faith. Welcome to the club.

And BTW, my 12th grade physics teacher proved to our class (this was 20 something years ago) that gravity was a myth and there was no scientific proof it existed. Just saying...

Old 12-23-2011, 11:33 AM

4,729 posts, read 4,352,372 times
Quote:
So why didn't God re-use his Dolphin model for us?
I think former Montey Python writer Douglass Adams said it best, when he qouted the dolphins at end times when they said: "So long, and thanks for all the fish..."

Old 12-23-2011, 11:34 AM

16,155 posts, read 12,828,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theflipflop View Post
I'm not convinced of all of those theories either. You see, it's just as hard for me to prove to myself those theories are true, as it is for you to prove anything in the Bible to be true to you. I'm not a scientist, and I doubt you are an accomplished Torah scholar. So we take it on faith that the theories (science and bible) are true. I guess that means we're both people of faith. Welcome to the club.
You know, I'm amazed how people like you manage to get through your day - what with all these Theories that are 'untrue''. I mean, how the hell do you manage to drive your car, catch a bus, heat a meal in a microwave, watch TV or listen to a radio, use your computer, use your telephone, fly in aircraft, use elevators etc etc. Just how do you manage to survive with all these 'untrue' Theories everywhere, just waiting to catch you out?

Old 12-23-2011, 11:38 AM

3,423 posts, read 3,208,157 times
Am I the only one here who has noticed that the original poster (Doll Eyes) bugged out after the OP?

Old 12-23-2011, 11:39 AM

8,734 posts, read 13,792,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafius View Post
You know, I'm amazed how people like you manage to get through your day - what with all these Theories that are 'untrue''. I mean, how the hell do you manage to drive your car, catch a bus, heat a meal in a microwave, watch TV or listen to a radio, use your computer, use your telephone, fly in aircraft, use elevators etc etc. Just how do you manage to survive with all these 'untrue' Theories everywhere, just waiting to catch you out?
He probably doesn't even believe in music, after all, its just a theory. At least that is what my Music Theory teacher told us.

Old 12-23-2011, 11:40 AM

8,734 posts, read 13,792,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by orogenicman View Post
Am I the only one here who has noticed that the original poster (Doll Eyes) bugged out after the OP?

Hence my relating a similar smelling experience on a bass boat back on page 2.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.