Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2011, 11:14 AM

28,090 posts, read 29,934,993 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fillmont View Post
They actually just finished their most recent season back in November. According to wiki, it will be back March 14, 2012. Its on comedy central.
Hmmm. I wonder if I get that. We aren't paying for a whole lot of extras. We have DirectTV. Does anybody know what channel Comedy Central is on on DirectTV?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2011, 11:37 AM

1,816 posts, read 2,512,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
Hmmm. I wonder if I get that. We aren't paying for a whole lot of extras. We have DirectTV. Does anybody know what channel Comedy Central is on on DirectTV?
I'm pretty sure it is part of the basic package. I have DirecTV too - check around channel 249.

Old 12-23-2011, 11:38 AM

50,087 posts, read 20,691,451 times
Quote:
Really? Maybe you're right, but since most people know so little about Mormonism, it seems to me that this kind of joke is only fostering further misinformation. Maybe I just don't see the humor.
That's understandable. I sometimes find my smile comes a little less readily than I'd like when someone makes fun of the atheists.

Old 12-23-2011, 12:27 PM

2,108 posts, read 2,893,044 times
I love South Park! I am a former Mormon and I about died laughing when I saw the episode the OP is talking about. And I really liked the episode on the Mormons, but it will likely offend most believing Mormons. Most believing Mormons don't know that Joseph dictated the text of the Book of Mormon by burying his face in a hat with a stone, either. Most of the Mormon artwork shows Joseph sitting at a desk with a curtain separating him from the man who served as his scribe.

Oh, if I remember correctly, the episode that has "the correct answer was the Mormons" is also the one that shows Sadaam Husein as the Devil's lover. That scene by itself would offend quite a number of conservative people who aren't use to such crass-ness. And I think a number of people would be offended by the things the main characters, who are children, say.

I think it takes a certain type of person to be able to appreciate South Park. Back when I was Mormon, I was appalled by South Park, but now as a heathen apostate, I love it.

If I were going to recommend great satire, that would appeal to a wider audience, one can't do much better than the Colbert Report on Comedy Central.

Last edited by Hueffenhardt; 12-23-2011 at 12:44 PM..

Old 12-23-2011, 01:29 PM

Location: where you sip the tea of the breasts of the spinsters of Utica
8,297 posts, read 14,157,672 times
Quote:
I don't watch South Park, but apparently the writers didn't do their homework. If the point of this little exchange was to make people think that Mormons believe they're the only ones who are going to Heaven, they couldn't have it more wrong. Mormons are actually essentially universalists. We believe that with the exception of a very, very few people, everyone who has ever lived will end up going to Heaven.
The point was that many fundamentalists believe that their sect is going to heaven and the others will mostly go to hell. If true, that means only one group can actually get to heaven. Thus the remainder are all stuck in Hell for eternity, and they're wondering what happened, since they were all good Protestants, Catholics, Muslims etc.

It's a childish belief that God would dump people into Hell for an honest mistake in belief.

Old 12-23-2011, 01:44 PM

37 posts, read 38,306 times
I think you should worship God through whatever God in Heaven tells you to. I have my issues with Smith, and other Mormon false prophets, but I also can relate to some of the phylosophies and visions Mormons talk about.

Old 12-23-2011, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof View Post
It's a childish belief that God would dump people into Hell for an honest mistake in belief.
I'm with you 100% on that.

Old 12-23-2011, 02:48 PM

3,437 posts, read 6,072,515 times
Southpark knocks on Scientology a lot too.
In "Go God Go" they lump all religions together and basically knock on all at the same time, the humor is subtle and you need to pay attention to catch it.

Old 12-23-2011, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hueffenhardt View Post
Most believing Mormons don't know that Joseph dictated the text of the Book of Mormon by burying his face in a hat with a stone, either. Most of the Mormon artwork shows Joseph sitting at a desk with a curtain separating him from the man who served as his scribe.
Man, Hueff, most of the Mormons you know are so ignorant! Most of the Mormons I know have a very good understanding of early Mormon history.

Old 12-23-2011, 08:29 PM

79 posts, read 99,091 times
Quote:
I don't watch South Park, but apparently the writers didn't do their homework. If the point of this little exchange was to make people think that Mormons believe they're the only ones who are going to Heaven, they couldn't have it more wrong. Mormons are actually essentially universalists. We believe that with the exception of a very, very few people, everyone who has ever lived will end up going to Heaven.
While Mormons don't believe in a traditional hellfire and brimstone as Christians do the idea that everyone will go to heaven is simply incorrect. Only Mormons or those who accept Mormon teachings will be able to live with God, Jesus and their families. Everyone else will have to settle for less or a lesser heaven if you will.

The "All About the Mormons" episode is spot on. I remember watching it as a believing Mormon and saying, 'well, they got it all right except for the part about the stones in the hat!'
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality