U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2011, 04:56 AM

6,317 posts, read 5,703,653 times
Default "The answer is Mormon", according to the Hell Director

One of the funniest segments in all of South Park was a scene in Hell, which although it's humorous has a serious point to make about all the thousands of religious sects and cults around the world. Here's the transcript:

You can watch it here:
Probably (Season 4, Episode 11) - Full Episode Player - South Park Studios
----
Speaker- Hello, newcomers, and welcome. Can everybody hear me? [taps the mic a few times] Hello? Can everybuh-? Okay. [the crowd quiets down] Uh, I'm the hell director. Uh, it looks like we have about 8,615 of you newbies today, and for those of you who are a little confused, uh, you are dead, and this is hell, so, abandon all hope and uh yada yada yada. Uh, we are now going to start the orientation process, which will last about-

Man- Hey, wait a minute, I shouldn't be here. I wa a totally strict and devout Protestant! I thought we went to heaven!

Hell director- Yes, well I'm afraid you were wrong.

Soldier- I was a practicing Jehovah's Witness.

Hell director- Uh, you picked the wrong religion as well.

Another man- Well, who was right? Who gets into heaven?

Hell director- I'm afraid it was the Mormons. Yes, the Mormons were the correct answer.

Crowd- [disappointed] Awww.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2011, 08:44 AM

11,114 posts, read 8,836,522 times
must...resist...commenting....

Last edited by Chango; 12-23-2011 at 08:55 AM..

Old 12-23-2011, 09:15 AM

13,605 posts, read 8,774,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof View Post
One of the funniest segments in all of South Park was a scene in Hell, which although it's humorous has a serious point to make about all the thousands of religious sects and cults around the world. Here's the transcript:

You can watch it here:
Probably (Season 4, Episode 11) - Full Episode Player - South Park Studios
----
Speaker- Hello, newcomers, and welcome. Can everybody hear me? [taps the mic a few times] Hello? Can everybuh-? Okay. [the crowd quiets down] Uh, I'm the hell director. Uh, it looks like we have about 8,615 of you newbies today, and for those of you who are a little confused, uh, you are dead, and this is hell, so, abandon all hope and uh yada yada yada. Uh, we are now going to start the orientation process, which will last about-

Man- Hey, wait a minute, I shouldn't be here. I wa a totally strict and devout Protestant! I thought we went to heaven!

Hell director- Yes, well I'm afraid you were wrong.

Soldier- I was a practicing Jehovah's Witness.

Hell director- Uh, you picked the wrong religion as well.

Another man- Well, who was right? Who gets into heaven?

Hell director- I'm afraid it was the Mormons. Yes, the Mormons were the correct answer.

Crowd- [disappointed] Awww.
I don't watch South Park, but apparently the writers didn't do their homework. If the point of this little exchange was to make people think that Mormons believe they're the only ones who are going to Heaven, they couldn't have it more wrong. Mormons are actually essentially universalists. We believe that with the exception of a very, very few people, everyone who has ever lived will end up going to Heaven.

Old 12-23-2011, 09:27 AM

1,688 posts, read 782,620 times
I think the idea that Mormons were correct, and that everyone else went to hell was the joke...they probably know Mormons are universalists. They're making fun of how little many people know about other religions.

Old 12-23-2011, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clintone View Post
I think that was the joke...they probably know Mormons are universalists. They're making fun of how little many people know about other religions...though they make assumptions about them.
Really? Maybe you're right, but since most people know so little about Mormonism, it seems to me that this kind of joke is only fostering further misinformation. Maybe I just don't see the humor.

Old 12-23-2011, 10:12 AM

1,803 posts, read 1,083,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
Really? Maybe you're right, but since most people know so little about Mormonism, it seems to me that this kind of joke is only fostering further misinformation. Maybe I just don't see the humor.
The South Park guys have an odd fascination with Mormonism. They simultaneously lampoon it for being ridiculous, while praising it for producing some really good, honest people.

If you're curious and have some time, here is an episode of South Park regarding Mormonism:

All About Mormons (Season 7, Episode 12) - Full Episode Player - South Park Studios

(It's a free legal stream of the episode.)

If you do decide to watch it, make sure to watch the whole thing. Also note that if you are particularly squeamish around bad language, then maybe South Park isn't the show for you.

They also did the musical The Book of Mormon, which I haven't seen. It won the Best Musical Tony Award.

Last edited by Fillmont; 12-23-2011 at 10:21 AM..

Old 12-23-2011, 10:23 AM

6,478 posts, read 5,377,260 times
Quote:
That's because you don't watch South Park enough to understand that their humor can be subtle at times.

The people the joke was aimed at "get" it.

Old 12-23-2011, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fillmont View Post
The South Park guys have an odd fascination with Mormonism. They simultaneously lampoon it for being ridiculous, while praising it for producing some really good, honest people.

If you're curious and have some time, here is an episode of South Park regarding Mormonism:

All About Mormons (Season 7, Episode 12) - Full Episode Player - South Park Studios

(It's a free legal stream of the episode.)

If you do decide to watch it, make sure to watch the whole thing. Also note that if you are particularly squeamish around bad language, then maybe South Park isn't the show for you.

They also did the musical The Book of Mormon, which I haven't seen. It won the Best Musical Tony Award.
Thanks for the link. I will watch it. I've always kind of been curious about it. (And don't worry about the bad language. )

Old 12-23-2011, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clintone View Post
If it makes you feel better, South Park is not one of the most credible sources of information. Some other pieces of wisdom it has explained are:

asian people have no souls

the Catholic church actually worships a giant spider

evolution states that humans began as the retarted offspring of five monkeys who had sex with a fish-squirrel

Mickey Mouse is a sociopathic, Godzilla-sized creature obsessed with obtaining wealth at any cost. When angered, he begins breathing fire and flying till his rage subsides...after which he returns to Valhalla to rest and feed.

the devil is a loveable homosexual regularly seduced by Saddam Hussein, because Saddam is the bad boy type...though he also has feelings for the far more sensitive and reliable Chris.

They seem to go easier on Jews than many groups...but they did have main character Kyle (a Jew) kill Jesus once, as Jesus was trapped in a jail and could escape and solve everything only by dying.

Also, Santa Claus is skilled with a Battle Axe and Jesus is quite the skilled shot with a machine gun
By the way, when does South Park come on, and on what channel? I actually enjoy satire. I ought to at least give it a chance.

Old 12-23-2011, 10:34 AM

1,803 posts, read 1,083,131 times
Quote:
By the way, when does South Park come on, and on what channel? I actually enjoy satire. I ought to at least give it a chance.
They actually just finished their most recent season back in November. According to wiki, it will be back March 14, 2012. Its on comedy central.

Every episode is on that website I linked you to, though. (well, through season 15 it seems.) So if you're curious about specific episodes, you can pick and choose.

Let us know what you think of the Mormon episode.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality