Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2012, 04:02 PM

38 posts, read 43,124 times

Advertisements

I just started going to Church Recently I am about a month strong and really enjoy where I attend everything and everyone is truly wonderful and i feel so welcomed there but.. today i found out that in order to be an official member you have to get in front of everyone and read off a thing with the preacher like something the church has and everyone agrees to a membership with a yes or no answer???

I felt really weird and uncomfortable after that because my friend asked me was I going to be a member??

I THOUGHT I WAS WHEN I REDEDICATED MY LIFE TO THE LORD.. does it really matter with me reading from a book or not??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2012, 04:08 PM

15,501 posts, read 16,982,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daisy7 View Post
I just started going to Church Recently I am about a month strong and really enjoy where I attend everything and everyone is truly wonderful and i feel so welcomed there but.. today i found out that in order to be an official member you have to get in front of everyone and read off a thing with the preacher like something the church has and everyone agrees to a membership with a yes or no answer???

I felt really weird and uncomfortable after that because my friend asked me was I going to be a member??

I THOUGHT I WAS WHEN I REDEDICATED MY LIFE TO THE LORD.. does it really matter with me reading from a book or not??
Ask yourself one simple question: Do you plan to worship God(swt) or join a club?

Old 01-01-2012, 04:11 PM

10,603 posts, read 11,624,522 times
Quote:

I'm of the opinion of Mark Twain when it comes to joining organizations. Any organization that would have me as a member, is not an organization I'd want to join.

Old 01-01-2012, 04:32 PM

4,486 posts, read 5,205,573 times
Sounds more like Sam's club than a church.

Just look around, you'll find the church that's right for you. Good luck in your search.

Old 01-01-2012, 05:00 PM

9,669 posts, read 9,931,568 times
Went to a Pentecostal Assemblies Church for a visit today and they were about to have Holy Communion Meal and the preachers said a few prayers and told the people `Anybody can take Holy Communion meal you do not have to be a member of this Church , But you should be a member of Jesus Christ Church `..... So this is what is going on there , Other churches might need a official list of is members as securities for the leaders , which nothing Spiritual command from the Lord Jesus and His authorship.......Its hard when churches need this law in their church as to reject peoples salvation cleaning of Jesus and Christians visiting the church will be alienated for other Christians ........ Best to pray and ask Jesus to send you to the church where He will do a work through you were the tolerances are of your heart and His plan for your life .... Just bless these people if you plan to leave and go some were else would be the will of Lord Jesus

Old 01-01-2012, 05:01 PM

20,385 posts, read 12,657,987 times
Whay does this "thing" say?

Old 01-01-2012, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post
Whay does this "thing" say?
it is a church convenant sort or thing I don't even know what it says but it feels so orderly and its something the church created I just dont understand I love this church and the family there so much but i just felt so out of place after that today.. Why would I read from something in front of them just to be accepted in their church??? they lead me on like i already was i am so confused!

Old 01-01-2012, 05:24 PM

15,501 posts, read 16,982,218 times
Quote:
it is a church convenant sort or thing I don't even know what it says but it feels so orderly and its something the church created I just dont understand I love this church and the family there so much but i just felt so out of place after that today.. Why would I read from something in front of them just to be accepted in their church??? they lead me on like i already was i am so confused!

And if you do not do so, are you still permitted to attend the Church?

Old 01-01-2012, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodrow LI View Post
And if you do not do so, are you still permitted to attend the Church?
I honestly have no idea I think ill call up or preacher and see just exactly what all this is about either way Woodrow, I don't think you should have to get up in front of a church family and read the covenant just for a certain sort of vote and acceptance of yes or no??? I guess if the congregation was to vote a majority of no i guess a person could no longer attend haha

Old 01-01-2012, 05:33 PM

10,016 posts, read 12,525,738 times
There are a few good reasons for membership requirements in a body of believers. Most denominations have a statement of faith as a constitutional basis. Someone who does not agree with that statement really should not be a VOTING member of that body. Positions n the church governance are open to members only and for good reasons. Elders and and ther positions within the body have to uphold whatever it is that makes that body unifies as much as possible. For instance, you could not have a person who believes in the doctorines of the RC church as an elder in a reformed church. It would just create all kinds of problems. That person would be welcomed to worship with the body but not as a voting member of the congregation. Joining yourself to a body of believers is also a committment. You are committing yourself to support the work of the body in many different ways. By your financial contributions, By faithful attendence on Sunday, By supporting the ministries of the church, by contributing your own special gifts and abilities to build up the kingdom of God. You are also putting yourself under authority when you become a member of a church. You have to agree to correction when you have gone astray and are taken to task for it.

If these things seem to be a burden to you then it's probably best not to join as a member.

I have one stubborn headstrong daughter. When she decided to jion the church I warned her that for her at that time it would not be the best thing to do but being the stubborn headstrong girl she was she joined anyway. Well to make a long story short she ran into all kinds of problems with her membership because she would not take correction and ultimately was removed from membership.
Becoming a member of a body of beilevers is a serious thing that should not be done without much prayer and thought. Just as we would not be married without it we should not join ourselves to a body wthout it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality