Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2012, 05:21 AM

50,087 posts, read 20,712,695 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdaelectro View Post
I merely brought up the fact that there is evidence surrounding Christ, and I believe that evidence, based on faith. Why should I spend hours researching and posting this evidence when you will just deny it? That is not what this thread is about. You believe the evidence of the moon landings based on faith, just admit it and be done "pal".

oh and
While an examination of the 'evidence' for Jesus is perhaps of -topic, the point is that the moon landings are fact. The objections have been substantially debunked and the hard evidence for the moon landings is compelling. 'Faith' is not the right term to use here. Believing the moon landings is based on evidence, not faith.

Belief in Jesus is based on the Gospel story. Examination of that shows that it doesn't stand up and I'd love mythbusters to do a show on the nativity and resurrection claims, transfiguration, Judas' death and the parables. I trust that they'd find the evidence didn't stand up to query. In fact I've put this forward several times and the reaction has been to try to counter it with some poor objections, then to ignore it or say it isn't important. The belief is thus based on Faith, because it isn't based on sound evidence and indeed is maintained in spite of the evidence.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2012, 06:04 AM

5,458 posts, read 6,714,865 times
Quote:
I merely brought up the fact that there is evidence surrounding Christ
And then avoided showing any of it. People "believing' in the moon landings have no problem showing lots of independent lines of evidence that they happened. People who have faith that Jesus died for their sins can't seem to do this. Just more evidence that the faith based on lots of data required to believe in moon landings is far different from the faith despite no evidence at all required for belief in Jesus.

Old 01-17-2012, 03:24 PM

2,770 posts, read 2,603,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AREQUIPA View Post
Believing the moon landings is based on evidence, not faith.
Who are you kidding? Who actually examines the evidence of the moon landings? I am sure there is a small minority, but most of us just accept that it happened. That is faith.

Try to word it however you want, but I think you are smart enough to see that it is clearly a faith based belief for the majority. Maybe pride won't allow you to acknowledge it, and that's okay...

Old 01-17-2012, 03:27 PM

2,770 posts, read 2,603,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KCfromNC View Post
And then avoided showing any of it.
Not wanting to Go off topic doesn't mean I am avoiding anything. The only avoiding that is going on, is from the anti faith crowd posting here, that can't bring themselves to acknowledge the truth.

Last edited by jdaelectro; 01-17-2012 at 03:39 PM..

Old 01-17-2012, 03:42 PM

28,353 posts, read 16,376,689 times
Quote:
Who are you kidding? Who actually examines the evidence of the moon landings? I am sure there is a small minority, but most of us just accept that it happened. That is faith.

Try to word it however you want, but I think you are smart enough to see that it is clearly a faith based belief for the majority. Maybe pride won't allow you to acknowledge it, and that's okay...

Twist it however you want, moon landing belief is NOT based on faith.

Old 01-17-2012, 03:47 PM

5,536 posts, read 7,109,209 times
JDA's convinced me, I'm going to start attending church again.

Old 01-17-2012, 04:03 PM

344 posts, read 396,023 times
Quote:

I think you have to define what is "faith" and what isn't. I went to bed last night and woke up at 7 AM this morning. So is my belief that I spent several hours sleeping in bed a belief based on faith? Maybe I was drugged and taken elsewhere for a few hours and then returned. Maybe I was in a sleepwalking state and strolled down the street without knowing it.

In theory, everything is faith-based. I'm bothering to type on my keyboard based on the belief that I truly exist, and my comprehension and powers of perception are not imaginary or some kind of illusion. I continue to type because I have "faith" in what I perceive as reality.

Old 01-17-2012, 04:10 PM

3,004 posts, read 6,273,323 times
I think a lot of people are misconstruing "faith" with "belief."

Belief under the epistemological realm is much much different. As it denotes something which is formed after deduction or experience. Faith on the other hand is the will to believe.

While knowledge is something else entirely.

Philosophically speaking, none of us have first hand experience of landing on the moon, nor the technological capability to verify the variables. Though, we have testimony, assumptions of technology and visual experiences of the variables in question, and most importantly the collective ability to recreate circumstances.

Hence we form beliefs about people landing on the moon, and it is our justification of those beliefs that lead us to knowledge of such events.

Although I agree that knowledge and reality can be questioned, a lot of the work has already been done: Epistemology (Stanford Encyclopedia of Philosophy)

I've found these "debates" rather tiring, as they always reduce to God, as if it's needed. Just read the above link and you could question knowledge as many secular people do.

Old 01-17-2012, 04:18 PM

5,944 posts, read 5,582,900 times
Lightbulb Is believing man walked on the moon a faith based belief?

Quote:
I base my belief of man walking on the moon by faith.
I saw it live on TV.

Quote:
What do you base your belief of man walking on the moon by?
I base my knowledge of the moon landings on the facts that I observed at the time.

Quote:
This is just a philosophical question. Moderator cut: edit

Faith is believing the unseen.
Faith is blind acceptance in the absence of evidence.

Quote:
Are there any astronauts here?

Don't we all believe things by faith? If not how can you demonstrate that the moon landing is any different than Christ rising from the dead?
The moon landings are not an article of faith.

Those who believe anything, know nothing.

Old 01-18-2012, 02:55 AM

7,801 posts, read 6,372,988 times
The trick that is being played by the memeoid here is seen clearly in his asking if people believed in the moon landings before they, for example, performed the lazer experiments for themselves.

The trick is twofold. The first part of it is to dilute the definition of faith and trust so much that they end up the same. The trust you place in people who have performed these experiments and reported positive results is not faith. The user is trying to make them the same however in order to give you the conclusion that we all operate on faith therefore faith is good.

The second part of the trick is to ignore the implication of beliefs. There are many beliefs we accept on trust, such as believing in the moon landings before performing evidence checking experiments yourself to verify them. The issue is that accepting the moon landings took place has no implications on your life at this time. There is no reason to doubt it or to partake in doubting it.

It is when a belief becomes of consequence that someone should verify it for themselves. If someone says we landed on the moon and they performed lazer experiments to verify this then there is no implication in accepting that and trusting the claim. If however someone then said “So we need a lot of your money to go back there and reposition the laser mirrors a bit… then it becomes an implication to you and it is time you do not take it on trust but verify it.

Similarly the claims that there exists a god has many implications. Usually implications forced on us such as tax status’ for the churches or the teaching of stultifying nonsense to your children in school or the implementation of certain laws or the prevention of certain things. It is not longer valid to simply take things on faith, there needs to be some reason to think there is a god entity as described.

So in short do not let the trickster falsely equivocate between “trust” and “faith” as he has been trying to do and do not let him gloss over the value of verifying things when there is an implication in accepting them… and just accepting them when there is not. All the con artist here wants to do is make you think that we are all operating on faith, so massively baseless claims such as the existence of god is just another faith claim no different to any other.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality