Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2012, 06:03 PM

30,907 posts, read 32,923,411 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Visvaldis View Post
Aren't you tired of the usual evolution/creation theme? Or the existence/non-existence of god? Same old arguments, over and over.
No, because for those of us who love to think (sometimes to overthink!), there is always a new side to be seen, even to the same issue.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2012, 06:05 PM

11,446 posts, read 16,159,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerZ View Post
No, because for those of us who love to think (sometimes to overthink!), there is always a new side to be seen, even to the same issue.
If the creationists ever presented new sides to their beliefs...

Old 01-05-2012, 06:46 PM

13,933 posts, read 12,869,476 times
Quote:
I've been here over 4 years. In that time I've seen the same basic themes presented in the forum, just worded differently. Also, the same basic reactions. The believers start threads, the atheists take it apart, the believers deliver their potshots and abandon the thread. Atheists start threads, believers offer up their usual bible quotes, threats of hell, then depart. Basically, each side calls the other stupid.
Generally, posters (the faithful ones) often avoid tough questions.
Aren't you tired of the usual evolution/creation theme? Or the existence/non-existence of god? Same old arguments, over and over.
Then we have the 'scholarly' types (even atheists), that refer to biblical characters and situations (as if they were true), something to study for people who have nothing else better to do.
The R&P forum runs in circles, but gets nowhere. No progress can be noted.
The strange part is that religion and philosophy are on the same forum. The two are not compatible. Religion is riven by dogma, philosophy is (as done by philosophers) open to everything in existence and is subject to change according to new knowledge gained by research. Religion sticks to the original, and insist it's the truth, oblivious of any and all knowledge gained in the last 2,000 years. The difference between philosophy and religion is as wide as the Grand Canyon.
Philosophers have to think and not be afraid of any questions, even if their own theories may dissolve in the process. Maybe a new, and better theory may result.
If you're an atheist, you may write a thought provoking post. But the believers will pick a small part and attack, intentionally disregarding the whole of the post. So why write a thought provoking post?
When I first joined City Data, the R&P forum did not have any sub-forums.

Quote:
Since then two have been added. Christianity has it's own, to keep out "the atheist nonsense" as one poster noted. Now, they are well sheltered in their little bubble. Keep Out, it's forbidden territory for an atheist to tread.
People who think this could benefit greatly from taking a look at the terms of service regarding the religious sub-forums. The forums weren't created specificly or exclusively for Chhristians to post in, or a "chirstian club-house" of sorts. Anyone of any worldview can post there. Same goes for the athest subforum. They are places to learn about those particular worlviews, not to keep out the other ones nonsense as you put it.

As far as taking it seriously? No, not so much anymore. When I first came here I did. City-Data R&P has done much to expose to me the fallacy of religion. It has changed my thoughts on the subject. I am much more content in my beliefs or lack thereof, than I was before I came here.

Now it's pretty much just entertainment for me. Every once in awhile there is a thought provoking post, but after you have been here long enough, you have pretty much heard it all and have decided what side you fall on, and just go on from there. When the subject matter being discussed doesn't change, your bound to run out of new ideas and topics. Now we just combat the new "interpretations" of that subject matter. Every now and again you will run into someone who is genuine about learning and taking in new concepts, but it's a rarity.

Quote:
Originally Posted by looking4answers12 View Post
. The bullies shame the more timid ones into silence. Oh well, I guess that's life.
One thing is for certain, if you propose an idea here you are going to be called out on it. Thats not called being bullied, thats called being expected to back up your claims. Nothing wrong with it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by looking4answers12 View Post
Yep me too. Apparently my articulation is worse than I realized. Some folks have made sure to point that out for me. It hurt my feelings, but I guess it's a good think in the long run. I'm a little more conscious of it, though I still have a long way to go, I guess.
These people are grammar nazis and trolls. One someone proves themselves to be a grammar nazi, I rarely engage them ever again. They obviously aren't here to have a civilized discussion or a meaningful one. Report them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
Sheesh, how large a selection do you want? There are forums for everything from health to trivia here. What additional ones would you like to see?
I think she was refering specificly to R&P

Quote:
Post #18 reminds me of one point I forgot to mention in the OP.
The religious believe atheism is a religion.
Their feeble attempt to put skeptics in the same catagory as themselves I suspect. Most can't seem to stand it that many of us are content with our convictiion that there is no God. I suppose it;s because that line of thought is out of the scope of their own. They cant comprehend that there are some people who just dont need a God in their life.

Quote:
Originally Posted by imbobbbb View Post
Before I came on here I had no idea that some people still believed things like ,'the sun rotates around the earth,which is fixed in place,and God lives in the middle of the sun in a palace,where he sits watching us all day'.
!
Who said they believe this on here? Link to the thread? Even the most outlandish of our little cast of characters hasn't proposed such a thing to my knowledge.

Last edited by WhipperSnapper 88; 01-05-2012 at 07:04 PM..

Old 01-05-2012, 06:53 PM

63,566 posts, read 39,855,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper 88 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by imbobbbb
Before I came on here I had no idea that some people still believed things like ,'the sun rotates around the earth,which is fixed in place,and God lives in the middle of the sun in a palace,where he sits watching us all day'.
!

Who said they believe this on here? Link to the thread? Even the most outlandish of our little cast of characters hasn't proposed such a thing to my knowledge.
I think it is YSM (YeshuaSavedMe) who believes that.

Old 01-05-2012, 06:58 PM

13,933 posts, read 12,869,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
I think it is YSM (YeshuaSavedMe) who believes that.
Ahhh....never had the privilege of crossing paths with that one I guess.

Old 01-05-2012, 07:12 PM

9,455 posts, read 12,507,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiker45 View Post
Yes, I agree that sharing your "god proving experiences" with us Atheists is totally useless.

We believe there are no supernatural events. We believe that if anything appears supernatural to you, it is because you are being delusional.
Ah...a closed mind is a wonderful thing. Do you not agree?

My point taken and confirmed. Thanks.

Old 01-05-2012, 07:36 PM

3,202 posts, read 4,423,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper 88 View Post
Ahhh....never had the privilege of crossing paths with that one I guess.
Yes,mystic is correct,YeshuaSavedMe provided me with some of the most entertaining threads i've ever read on the net.Do a search and share in the joy!She doesn't post much anymore.

I really miss talking in circles with Tom Campbell who passed away this year also,he was a lot of fun.

Old 01-05-2012, 08:37 PM

30,907 posts, read 32,923,411 times
Quote:
If the creationists ever presented new sides to their beliefs...
I'm not talking about new sides being presented, I'm talking about me seeing new things even if the argument is old. You don't think of new things when you hear something a second time, or put in a different way?

Old 01-05-2012, 09:37 PM

5,965 posts, read 6,999,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiker45 View Post
Yes, I agree that sharing your "god proving experiences" with us Atheists is totally useless.

We believe there are no supernatural events. We believe that if anything appears supernatural to you, it is because you are being delusional.
"The only thing worse than the "I" ego is the collective "We" ego." - Eckharte Tolle

Old 01-06-2012, 07:30 AM

4,612 posts, read 4,881,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post
Do you not agree?
I never know exactly how to respond to that type of question.

If I answer "No", does that mean I do not not agree, which means I agree?

If I answer Yes, does that mean I do not agree?

Life was easier at work when I only spoke Fortran.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality