Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2012, 04:17 PM

11,446 posts, read 16,182,695 times

Advertisements

I've been here over 4 years. In that time I've seen the same basic themes presented in the forum, just worded differently. Also, the same basic reactions. The believers start threads, the atheists take it apart, the believers deliver their potshots and abandon the thread. Atheists start threads, believers offer up their usual bible quotes, threats of hell, then depart. Basically, each side calls the other stupid.
Generally, posters (the faithful ones) often avoid tough questions.
Aren't you tired of the usual evolution/creation theme? Or the existence/non-existence of god? Same old arguments, over and over.
Then we have the 'scholarly' types (even atheists), that refer to biblical characters and situations (as if they were true), something to study for people who have nothing else better to do.
The R&P forum runs in circles, but gets nowhere. No progress can be noted.
The strange part is that religion and philosophy are on the same forum. The two are not compatible. Religion is riven by dogma, philosophy is (as done by philosophers) open to everything in existence and is subject to change according to new knowledge gained by research. Religion sticks to the original, and insist it's the truth, oblivious of any and all knowledge gained in the last 2,000 years. The difference between philosophy and religion is as wide as the Grand Canyon.
Philosophers have to think and not be afraid of any questions, even if their own theories may dissolve in the process. Maybe a new, and better theory may result.
If you're an atheist, you may write a thought provoking post. But the believers will pick a small part and attack, intentionally disregarding the whole of the post. So why write a thought provoking post?
When I first joined City Data, the R&P forum did not have any sub-forums. Since then two have been added. Christianity has it's own, to keep out "the atheist nonsense" as one poster noted. Now, they are well sheltered in their little bubble. Keep Out, it's forbidden territory for an atheist to tread.
The R&P forum is sophist at best, but can be a source of entertainment.
I wonder if anyone else on the forum has similar thoughts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2012, 04:42 PM

9,408 posts, read 13,736,850 times
When I was a christian my beliefs were challenged by atheists in a chat room I frequented. That was really when my serious questioning began. I will forever be grateful to those anonymous people and that is the reason why I continue to post. There may be one person out there who is influenced by my story and needs to hear something I have to say.

The other reason I post is to articulate my thoughts. It's good for me.

Old 01-04-2012, 05:05 PM

1,727 posts, read 2,548,048 times
Thanks for starting this thread. I've been here a couple months, I guess. Maybe one month. The first week, I took it a bit seriously. I stumbled into this forum because I really was looking for answers. I had a specific question that I was searching and I found a discussion in this forum.

I should have know by the tone of that one particular discussion, what I was going to encounter.

It didn't take long though, to figure out "the characters". It really isn't so different from every day life. There are different types of personalities. You did a great job of describing some of the scenarios.

I have been a little disappointed lately in the topics being posted. I can't say I am doing a great job introducing topics either. Compared to some of the members here, my life has been fairly limited.

But, despite what some members think, even a person who hasn't traveled the world or gotten much "higher education" can still do quite a bit of thinking and questioning, reading and researching.

It could be that people don't bring up more topics or ask more questions for fear of being ridiculed, but if that's the case, it's a darn shame.

Seems no better than the schoolyard in some ways. The bullies shame the more timid ones into silence. Oh well, I guess that's life.

Old 01-04-2012, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Djuna View Post
The other reason I post is to articulate my thoughts. It's good for me.
Yep me too. Apparently my articulation is worse than I realized. Some folks have made sure to point that out for me. It hurt my feelings, but I guess it's a good think in the long run. I'm a little more conscious of it, though I still have a long way to go, I guess.

Old 01-04-2012, 05:12 PM

9,408 posts, read 13,736,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by looking4answers12 View Post
Yep me too. Apparently my articulation is worse than I realized. Some folks have made sure to point that out for me. It hurt my feelings, but I guess it's a good think in the long run. I'm a little more conscious of it, though I still have a long way to go, I guess.
Don't worry about it, it's a process. I struggle with it at times as well.

Old 01-04-2012, 05:37 PM

4,486 posts, read 5,223,031 times
It would be nice to have a larger selection of sub-forums here. There is more to life than Christianity and Atheism.

Old 01-04-2012, 05:43 PM

Yeah, and there's more to philosophy than religion and aliens isn't there?

Old 01-04-2012, 05:45 PM

33,529 posts, read 37,130,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pamelaBeurman View Post
It would be nice to have a larger selection of sub-forums here. There is more to life than Christianity and Atheism.
Sheesh, how large a selection do you want? There are forums for everything from health to trivia here. What additional ones would you like to see?

Old 01-04-2012, 05:50 PM

11,446 posts, read 16,182,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pamelaBeurman View Post
That would just be more fences. Philosophy is to think about everything in existence.

Old 01-04-2012, 07:02 PM

4,612 posts, read 4,893,721 times
I didn't come here to convert people to my way of thinking. I came here to learn how other people think.

My discussions with an orthodox Jew in the "Ask a Jew" thread taught me some amazing things. Scary, but amazing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality