U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2007, 10:50 AM

799 posts, read 1,385,227 times

Advertisements

How can God be all perfect if he created man? Why would he need contact with lesser beings?
How could a being exist that wasn't created? How could any being be all perfect?
Why would anyone say we aren't supposed to know the answers?
Isn't like telling a kid not to worry about how Santa gets the presents down the chimney?
If God is omniscient, how can he be loving?
If God allows someone to hurt another being, how can he be loving, if he puts the free will of the abuser above the free will of the victim (who wants this not to happen)?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2007, 11:12 AM

7,768 posts, read 9,707,204 times
Where does space start?

Just because a question is difficult to answer doesn't mean the object of it is non-existent or irrelevant.

Just saying.....

Old 09-01-2007, 11:39 AM

8,532 posts, read 10,592,769 times
I believe that God is perfekt by granting us free will.
By giving us free will we therefore must have options, so this is why we are free to choose to do good or evil.

God like any parent loves His children and like any parent He, being Love, is the foundation upon which a child can build his entire life. And like any loving parent, He allowes his children to go into the world after they've become mature enough.
Like any parent God accepts all His children as they are, except when they are truly evil.
God does not play favouritism; He loves all his children equally, except those who are truly evil.

People suffer because the only thing that has to happen for evil to triumph is that good men do nothing. Unfortunetely we do not always recognize evil between our midst, because they have become very resourceful in hiding themselves among us.
Only when they feel that they have enough power will these evil men step into the light.

Although man isn't perfect (and perhaps never will be) it should not dissuade him to strive to be perfect. And as long as you try your best there is no sin in failing to be perfect.

Last edited by Tricky D; 09-01-2007 at 12:10 PM..

Old 09-01-2007, 12:09 PM

3,684 posts, read 8,488,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twixcookie View Post
Why would he need contact with lesser beings?
That's simple...there's no HBO in heaven so he needed to create something for entertainment.

Old 09-01-2007, 01:46 PM

12,411 posts, read 9,639,749 times
I have a few thoughts.

I think these questions are excellent, and go to the core of who and what we are and where we are heading.

I think that modern religions hold and promote so much dogma, that it often obfiscates the real relationship with the 'All That Is'.

As a flower will turn to face the sun, people and animals respond to goodness. I believe that our very lives have something to do with our kindness and caring for each other. Our lives also have something to do with growth in that direction.

Some religions have two gods, one evil and one good. Others have one creator god, still others have the creator god creating beings under IT to handle certain chores.

Many religions have the creator god as 'unknowable' because of the very questions asked in this thread.

One could say, though, that as we grow and learn, perhaps that contributes to the total knowledge of the universe and maybe the thing that we call 'god' is growing, too.

Maybe this is what is meant when it is said we are all part of God. Maybe God is the collective consciousness of all beings, and in helping and being kind to each other and understanding more and more of the existance surrounding us, we really are contributing to God.

God, in the Old Test, is constantly taking retribution and wiping people out. Either that is not the one true god, or It, whatever It is, has decided that violence and retribution don't cut it. I mean, if we followed that example, wouldn't we all be members of gangs? Wouldn't the world have ended already, for nations would have blown each other away?

So, the OT god must have learned some kind of lesson, for he is no longer acting like a spoiled child, wanting other kid's toys.

There are some who believe that god started the universe and forgot about it, letting it play out as it will.

But, maybe we are meant to, at this time in history, make our own connections with the ineffable and learn for ourselves. Maybe when Christ said - this ye shall do, and greater - referring to His own miracles, he was also referring to us. After all, He and a bunch of people would wander around the countryside discussing spiritual matters, not a bad life.

Perhaps, except for extreme cases, the old 'good and evil' prescriptions to keep the cattle in their place are not what it is all about. THe Old Testiment says to stone children who are disobedient. It also says it is a sin to wear of garment of two different fibers.

People who live by the New Testiment say Christ changed all that, but then, they also claim the OT as their own, so they are picking and choosing what to accept and what not to from the OT, no?

Paul said it is better to marry than to burn, implying that having a sexual interest and acting on it outside of marriage would place you in hell, but don't we know today that people who marry soley for sex usually end up in divorce, or a marriage that is a facsimile of hell?

What kind of birth control could Paul have used? Could that have saved his soul from both the firey pit and a hell of a marriage?

No, there is the spirit of the law and the letter of the law, and I for one, believe it is our job, each and every one of us, to figure out, for ourselves, what our lives are all about, what the Universe expects of us, what kind of 'job' and 'learning' and 'growth' we will accomplish while on this planet.

We are created as unique individuals and in the creation of each of us is the thread that will lead to the Creator, other sources may point the way, but only YOU know what is good for you at any given time. So, we learn by observance and trial and error. WHen we screw up, we know it, if only by our conscience.

Old 09-01-2007, 04:41 PM

20,050 posts, read 21,034,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irishmom View Post
That's simple...there's no HBO in heaven so he needed to create something for entertainment.
I know He gets a good laugh from you! (and I meant that as a compliment)

Old 09-01-2007, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tricky D View Post
I believe that God is perfekt by granting us free will.
By giving us free will we therefore must have options, so this is why we are free to choose to do good or evil.

God like any parent loves His children and like any parent He, being Love, is the foundation upon which a child can build his entire life. And like any loving parent, He allowes his children to go into the world after they've become mature enough.
Like any parent God accepts all His children as they are, except when they are truly evil.
God does not play favouritism; He loves all his children equally, except those who are truly evil.

People suffer because the only thing that has to happen for evil to triumph is that good men do nothing. Unfortunetely we do not always recognize evil between our midst, because they have become very resourceful in hiding themselves among us.
Only when they feel that they have enough power will these evil men step into the light.

Although man isn't perfect (and perhaps never will be) it should not dissuade him to strive to be perfect. And as long as you try your best there is no sin in failing to be perfect.
How do you know this? No matter what any book says, it cant be proven.

Old 09-01-2007, 09:02 PM

8,532 posts, read 10,592,769 times
Personal experience.
I value experience more than theoretical knowledge. Everytime a book contradicts my experience I simply disbelieve the theory.
I am aware of the effect of my actions so I can choose between doing good or doing evil.
I have loved and have been loved so I know that love exists. And so does good and evil.

I am also not someone who reads manuals or books in order to figure things out. I figure them out while doing it; learning through trial and error. So I value experience over theoretical knowledge. Not hat I find theoretical knowledge not useful, I'm just not very interested in it.

Old 09-01-2007, 09:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by I LOVE NORTH CAROLINA View Post
I know He gets a good laugh from you! (and I meant that as a compliment)
Does God laugh? Or is that another one people can pretend to know about?

Old 09-01-2007, 10:11 PM

20,050 posts, read 21,034,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twixcookie View Post
Does God laugh? Or is that another one people can pretend to know about?
Psalm 59:8 "But Lord you laugh at them,you scoff at all the hostile nations.

I don't pretend
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality