U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 01-08-2012, 06:34 PM

2,010 posts, read 1,515,943 times
Default God: Ultimate Concern

Aristotle taught that the only way that the "Prime Mover" (God) could be perfect, lacking potential & unchanging & still influence change (ie creation) is through attraction.
From the tiny microbes to the planets in the universe... we are all attracted to living the best we can, in our unique way of existence.

Paul Tillich wrote, "God is the fundamental & universal content of faith... ultimate concern...It is obvious that such an understanding of the meaning of God make the discussions about the existence or nonexistence of God meaningless. It is meaningless to question the ultimacy of an ultimate concern..."
God is whatever concerns us ultimately, whatever is most important in our lives. This is even true, when one denies the existence of God.
"Where there is ultimate concern, God can be denied only in the name of God."

What is your ultimate concern?
Is it always the same, or does it change?
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2012, 08:37 PM

10,026 posts, read 6,390,039 times
What is your ultimate concern? Interesting question you ask, but a person's ultimate concern can change depending on the situation one finds oneself in, life itself dictates what your ultimate concern would be, the different stages of your life can also dictate what your ultimate concern would be, so I would say that a person's ultimate concern is not always the same.

deprives me of my subjectivity because he is all-powerful and all-knowing, I revolt and make him into an object, but the revolt fails and becomes desperate. God appears as the invincible tyrant, the being in contrast with whom all beings are without freedom and subjectivity. He is equated with the recent tyrants who with the help of terror try to transform everything into a mere object, a thing among things, a cog in a machine they control. He becomes the model of everything against which Existentialism revolted. This is the God Nietzsche said had to be killed because nobody could tolerate being made into a mere object of absolute knowledge and absolute control. This is the deepest root of atheism. It is an atheism which is justified as the reaction against theological theism and it's disturbing implications.
Paul Tillich

Old 01-08-2012, 09:12 PM

3,748 posts, read 1,614,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ptsum View Post

deprives me of my subjectivity because he is all-powerful and all-knowing, I revolt and make him into an object, but the revolt fails and becomes desperate. God appears as the invincible tyrant, the being in contrast with whom all beings are without freedom and subjectivity. He is equated with the recent tyrants who with the help of terror try to transform everything into a mere object, a thing among things, a cog in a machine they control. He becomes the model of everything against which Existentialism revolted. This is the God Nietzsche said had to be killed because nobody could tolerate being made into a mere object of absolute knowledge and absolute control. This is the deepest root of atheism. It is an atheism which is justified as the reaction against theological theism and it's disturbing implications.
Paul Tillich
What nonsense! I guess if you write something and use a lot of big words, some people think you are wise.

Old 01-09-2012, 12:05 AM

8,254 posts, read 3,559,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiker45 View Post
What nonsense! I guess if you write something and use a lot of big words, some people think you are wise.
Instead of just delivering a quick, short-handed insult and running away, why dont you calmy and intelligently explain to him why you see his post as nonsense. Theres nothing I cant stand more than cut-and-run posts.

No wonder us atheists and skeptics have such a bad rep here in R&P

Old 01-09-2012, 12:24 AM

24,353 posts, read 17,369,628 times
Quote:
Good grief, they were not ptsum's words...It was a quote by Paul Tillich.

Old 01-09-2012, 02:30 AM

3,786 posts, read 1,422,221 times
Quote:
"[...] It is an atheism which is justified as the reaction against theological theism and it's disturbing implications."

~ Paul Tillich
Not just implications, but applications as well.

Old 01-09-2012, 07:04 AM

3,107 posts, read 1,424,510 times
Quote:

Paul Tillich
Quote:

Please to be pointing out the big words you are referring to. Existentialism is the only one I can see. It's not subjectivity is it? Implications?

Old 01-09-2012, 09:17 AM

Quote:

Paul Tillich
OK, I read this again a few times, and I still don't understand the point this guy is trying to make. Can anyone simplify it?

Old 01-09-2012, 09:52 AM

Quote:
This is the deepest root of atheism. It is an atheism which is justified as the reaction against theological theism and it's disturbing implications.
Paul Tillich
Sorry to be commenting again so soon, but this stuff really puzzles me.

I have heard this Paul Tillich guy is really wise, but since I am a lifelong Atheist, I should understand what it means to be an Atheist.

He mentions the "disturbing implications" of "theologican theism", and says that my Atheism is a "reaction" to those implications. I don't understand that at all.

I believe Theists are people who believe there is a supreme being or supreme force that controls the Universe we see around us, but I don't think their beliefs have any "disturbing implications" for me. Theists have always, and I mean ALWAYS, been very nice to me, so why would Tillich think that my beliefs are an adverse "reaction" to them?

I really don't understand where he is coming from. Do any of you?

Old 01-09-2012, 01:39 PM

11,806 posts, read 13,574,788 times
hiker45: Theists' beliefs only necessarily have "disturbing implications" for you when their beliefs influence the law.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality