U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2012, 08:49 PM

8,830 posts, read 6,364,211 times

Advertisements

[quote]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Blue View Post
I believe with all my heart that God knows where each and every one of us are..He doesn't need to "find us" He is already "in" our lives whether we acknowledge it or not..
Excuse me whilst I break this down, I had to do that to really think about what you said Miss Blue. I don't think so......"God" doesn't exist. You can't acknowledge anything that doesn't really exist unless you're being untrue to yourself and everyone else. Just my opinion.

Quote:
My opinion is that we cannot tell someone how to find God..We may water the seed in him by our words, our deeds and our actions, we can answer some of his questions, we can walk a little with him on his journey and listen, encourage and love him..But ultimately it is up to the individual to "find" Him in their life.
There's no way to tell someone how to find God cause he can't be found. I was reading a link in one of the threads posted by ex-christians and it was so where I'm at right now, some of them were full-blown atheists but most were ex-Christians and it was very enlightening. I might join that site, seemed interesting and right up my alley. Watering the seed........nah. I don't think it's up to the individual at all, it's up to god to find us. If there's a god, then there would be no questions without answers. We, those who are holding out but just can't hold on anymore are seeking answers, they just never come. I see that you're teetering, not really committing either way and so straddling the proverbial fence, it's okay to lurk and be non-committal. It's all okay.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2012, 09:29 PM

1,901 posts, read 1,113,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnywhereElse View Post
About 3 years ago, I learned that someone I knew did not have God in their life. I became perplexed on how that person, if they do not have God now, could ever change that. I went on a mission asking the people I knew "If you don't have God in your life, how do you find him?" I got a lot of odd looks, mumbling, a couple saying something about accepting Jesus to find God, so I gave up. After some thought, the best I could come up with was that if you lived your life according to the laws of God and even if that were no more than following the Golden Rule and really not even knowing about organized religion, He would find you. I know this just sounds probably too simplistic to most but I feel that knowing God is that simple. And, yes, I know a lot of people don't believe in God and I am sure this can be disapproved by scripture but this is my belief and it gives me peace and it was not arrived at without a great deal of thought.
How can you find what is not lost? You are of a God and you are a god.

Old 01-09-2012, 09:42 PM

5,437 posts, read 3,705,952 times
When I was xian, John 6:44 was the proof text backed by the behold I stand at the door and knock from Revelation.

Problem is, everyone thinks god needs their help hence the evangelizing

I never found god in a church, he found me and that experience was very real. But that reality was the construct of my own mind as I was brought up with this concept of god. At the time I needed it to be true and my mind/emotions made it so.

Many years later after seeing contradictions not only in the people around me but in the scriptures I now studied, I researched and discovered it was all a blatant lie, something man made and used to control people.

My own upbringing cult, we were told was directly descended from the church of Acts and then someone did some digging and found it was founded by some Irish dude with multiple mistresses and illegitimate children in the early 1800's.

The cult still exists and is global. Loosely known as the way or the two-by-twos and you will find nothing of them on the net as they are anti technology.

Old 01-10-2012, 12:10 AM

23,193 posts, read 11,405,957 times
This is a difficult question because you cannot look for something if you don't know what it is you are looking for. What religions have done is describe what they think you are looking for which biases any effort. It also blinds you to everything OTHER than what you are told to look for. I believe this is Ilene's problem. ALL the conceptions of God and what she is expecting God MUST provide to prove His existence are bogus. They are born of religious crapola having nothing to do with the reality of God as I experience Him.

I speak of this from a position of personal experience. I was not hampered by any such expectations. In fact, I had none as an atheist because I wasn't even looking for God. God found me in deep meditation. It was the shock of my life. To say it was unexpected would not capture the significance of it at all. It was unmistakable and undeniable and absolutely joyous. My life was transformed . . . never to be the same. It took me 40+ years to try to reconcile my experiences with what science knows about our reality.

Bottom line . . . looking for God with expectations about how He should manifest to you is a fool's errand. Expecting God to meet your demands for proof or whatever is similarly wrong-headed. Expecting to meet God as a person or voice or vision or other physical entity on this plane of existence is absurd. But . . . seeking nothing is a self-fulfilling endeavor. So what is one to do? My advice . . . stop worrying about it.

Unless you are willing to devote years to perfecting deep meditation . . . you are best off with a less rigorous technique. Learn to turn off your intellectual hardware (quiet your mind) and turn on your other sensitivities as you withdraw in silence of mind. It is best to pick a place that is conducive to a kind of meditative state. Perhaps just before sleeping at night.Be still, quiet, and sincerely (not skeptically, not willfully demanding, but openly and receptively) ask to feel the reality of God's presence without specifying how it should manifest. Something otherwise inexplicable that YOU are not doing or creating will eventually catch your attention.

Unfortunately, you will only know that it is God if it repeats in exactly the same way when you similarly ask in future sessions . . . without any involvement on your part to try to force it. Think of it as the opposite of what we look for to know the baby is alive in the womb . . . because direct contact is impossible for similar reasons. Hope it works for you.

Old 01-10-2012, 04:40 AM

285 posts, read 132,464 times
God say himself how you can find him :

He says : " who seek for me find me , who finds me knows me , who knows me loves me , who loves me I love him ........... "

Old 01-10-2012, 05:20 AM

1,727 posts, read 1,068,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skoro View Post
I see it this way...

If there's an all-knowing, all-powerful god out there and it's important to him that I believe in him, I'm sure he'd know how to arrange that.

I had a similar way of thinking when it came to going to church, so I hear what your saying.

But (don't you hate it when people say "but"?), as you know, many people believe God gives us free will. If that is the case, then isn't it possible that there have been things that God has send you as mini-revelations, that you choose to ignore, or try to explain away with facts?

I don't know you at all, and you don't know me. Please don't take this as some sort of personal attack, or as some Christian trying to corner you and save you.

This is just what occurred to me when I read your post. I hope you don't mind me sharing my thoughts. That's what forums are for, right?

Old 01-10-2012, 08:01 AM

5,436 posts, read 2,042,437 times
Do not be too quick to discount the utility of meditation. It is a worth pursuit and I regret none of the time I put into it. There are genuine useful and even transformative experiences that are possible through it and through the contemplative literature. Just be aware that one can do it, and enjoy it, and even benefit from it without having to subscribe to any of the spiritual woo and nonsense espoused here.

Old 01-10-2012, 08:03 AM

8,264 posts, read 5,051,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by looking4answers12 View Post
I had a similar way of thinking when it came to going to church, so I hear what your saying.

But (don't you hate it when people say "but"?), as you know, many people believe God gives us free will. If that is the case, then isn't it possible that there have been things that God has send you as mini-revelations, that you choose to ignore, or try to explain away with facts?

I don't know you at all, and you don't know me. Please don't take this as some sort of personal attack, or as some Christian trying to corner you and save you.

This is just what occurred to me when I read your post. I hope you don't mind me sharing my thoughts. That's what forums are for, right?

All of the mini-revelations I've "received" have been that I just can't see old middle eastern creation myths as anything but old middle eastern creation myths.

From your point of view, perhaps your god wants me to be an atheist, free from the encumberances of blind faith. That way I can carry out my holy mission to test the beliefs of the followers.

Old 01-10-2012, 08:11 AM

10,578 posts, read 5,098,421 times
People who do not have God in their life usually do not give much deep thought to any matter..They simply do not want to think of anything important..They do not want to respond or be responsible for anything. You actually have to give life some thought to take God into consideration..but some are afraid...and plug their ears and sing la la la..

It is easier to NOT want or search for wisdom - wisdom comes from above - you must WANT to be a little smarter - you must WANT life to be all it can - You must WANT - to prepare yourself for the end...and WANT eternal life - as a wise old friend of mine said to my dismay - "some people do not want to be saved.

You can bring a horse to water but you can not make them drink - I feel sorry for those who walk the earth alone - without God....but - it's their buisness...I had a drunken arguement with an athesist a while ago - and called them stupid - I regret doing this - because - I simply is NOT my place to force understanding or God on anyone...It is God's buisness.

Old 01-10-2012, 08:13 AM

5,436 posts, read 2,042,437 times
Indeed, which is why I made my post. I am trying to get you to distinguish between "deep meditation" and the claims of the bible. While the latter are usually defended by people who had a nice dream while engaged in the former, there is no reason to discount the former solely because it is used in such a way to support the latter.

I have seen no evidence, argument, data or reasons to lend even a modicum of credence to the claims of the Bible. I have seen much however on which to justifiably espouse the virtues of meditation and contemplation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality