Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2012, 06:58 PM

4,428 posts, read 6,501,890 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
I think you meant whoreship.
Now. Now. This is the religion and philosophy forum and not the P&C forum. No need for either of us to to be rude to the faithful. Though I admit I'm not the biggest fan of churches/temple/etc. and religions in general.

Last edited by baystater; 01-10-2012 at 07:09 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2012, 08:52 PM

20,436 posts, read 12,752,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bideshi View Post
The "would you rob God" bit is in the Old Testament Book of Malachi addressed to the Levitical priests that were robbing from the people's tithes. New Testament Christians are NOT under the law and are not required to tithe. I may as well step the rest of the way into it by saying there is no paid priesthood in the New Testament Church either. Paul supported himself as a tentmaker and many of the disciples continued to be fisherman before and after Christ's resurrection. For-profit "churchianity" is a hypocritical disgrace that Jesus would utterly condemn.
Wrong! 1 Cor. 9:14

“In the same way, the Lord has commanded that those who preach the gospel should receive their living from the gospel.”

Old 01-10-2012, 10:18 PM

16,433 posts, read 22,174,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmforte View Post
No, they sold everything they had and gave the proceeds to the first Bishops, "laid it at the feet of the Apostles." I like making a tithe of what ever I can afford once a week a little better.
There is nothing wrong with tithing. It is not a requirement however. Give as you purpose in you heart. It may be more or less than a tithe. Christians are not under the law.

Old 01-10-2012, 10:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post

“In the same way, the Lord has commanded that those who preach the gospel should receive their living from the gospel.”
Every Christian is commanded by the Lord Jesus Christ to spread the Gospel to all nations. Should they all receive pay for it? No, that is not what the Bible means. I refer you to Galatians 6:6 for a better understanding on the relationship between a teacher and those he teaches. Even under the Old testament laws, the priests were last on the list to receive the benefits of offerings, after the widows, orphans, and "strangers among us". I am old enough to remember when many Pastors worked at a regular job while pastoring a church. My uncle was a Methodist minister who had a regular job with the Post Office. I am interested as to what you think 1 Cor. 9:18 suggests to preachers today. It is clear that sending the Gospel throughout the world requires funding, and we absolutely should give generously to that end. Teaching that those who do not tithe are under a curse is a falsehood. It is a lie. Regular offerings to keep the lights turned on in the local fellowship hall is of course a needful thing to do, and we should be faithful to take care of such things. The Bible makes the matter clear: "Give as you purpose in your heart to give. God loves a cheerful giver."

Last edited by Bideshi; 01-10-2012 at 11:26 PM..

Old 01-10-2012, 11:07 PM

1,435 posts, read 1,552,459 times
Quote:
Bideshi

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmforte
No, they sold everything they had and gave the proceeds to the first Bishops, "laid it at the feet of the Apostles." I like making a tithe of what ever I can afford once a week a little better.
There is nothing wrong with tithing. It is not a requirement however. Give as you purpose in you heart. It may be more or less than a tithe. Christians are not under the law.
I agree. But what does that have to do with my post you were responding to?

Old 01-10-2012, 11:28 PM

Quote:
I agree. But what does that have to do with my post you were responding to?
I thought I was responding to your post. Please clarify so I can respond to the issue you are referring to.

Old 01-11-2012, 08:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bideshi View Post
Every Christian is commanded by the Lord Jesus Christ to spread the Gospel to all nations. Should they all receive pay for it? No, that is not what the Bible means. I refer you to Galatians 6:6 for a better understanding on the relationship between a teacher and those he teaches. Even under the Old testament laws, the priests were last on the list to receive the benefits of offerings, after the widows, orphans, and "strangers among us". I am old enough to remember when many Pastors worked at a regular job while pastoring a church. My uncle was a Methodist minister who had a regular job with the Post Office. I am interested as to what you think 1 Cor. 9:18 suggests to preachers today. It is clear that sending the Gospel throughout the world requires funding, and we absolutely should give generously to that end. Teaching that those who do not tithe are under a curse is a falsehood. It is a lie. Regular offerings to keep the lights turned on in the local fellowship hall is of course a needful thing to do, and we should be faithful to take care of such things. The Bible makes the matter clear: "Give as you purpose in your heart to give. God loves a cheerful giver."
(Bolded) I agree, but some are called to be pastors, preachers, evangelists. In Luke 10, Jesus told the 72 to rely on the gifts, or "wages" from those who hosted them. There is clearly a group that is set apart to make the work of the Lord their vocation.

Old 01-11-2012, 10:03 AM

50,083 posts, read 20,635,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post

But Paul also says
ICor. 9.18What is my reward then? Verily that, when I preach the gospel, I may make the gospel of Christ without charge, that I abuse not my power in the gospel.

Robertson does not need to make his living from the Gospel - he abuses the gospel to make himself rich.

Old 01-11-2012, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AREQUIPA View Post
But Paul also says
ICor. 9.18What is my reward then? Verily that, when I preach the gospel, I may make the gospel of Christ without charge, that I abuse not my power in the gospel.
Paul chose not to be financially compensated, even though he knew he had the right to receive it. I know of one modern-day pastor who does the same.

Old 01-11-2012, 10:12 AM

1,435 posts, read 1,552,459 times
Quote:
Quote:
I thought I was responding to your post. Please clarify so I can respond to the issue you are referring to.
This one ^^^...I pointed out how, as a persecuted sect, the first century christians sold all thier personal possesions and gave all the proceeds to the Church at large, laying it at the feet of the first Bishops, the Apostles, and held everything in common:

Quote:
English Standard Version

Acts 4:32-37

They Had Everything in Common

32Now the full number of those who believed were of one heart and soul, and no one said that any of the things that belonged to him was his own, but they had everything in common. 33And with great power the apostles were giving their testimony to the resurrection of the Lord Jesus, and great grace was upon them all. 34There was not a needy person among them, for as many as were owners of lands or houses sold them and brought the proceeds of what was sold 35and laid it at the apostles’ feet, and it was distributed to each as any had need. 36Thus Joseph, who was also called by the apostles Barnabas (which means son of encouragement), a Levite, a native of Cyprus, 37sold a field that belonged to him and brought the money and laid it at the apostles’ feet.
I know some "christian" sects do this today and are accused of being a cult, but if we want to truely be like the first christians, shouldn't we? In any case, I was explaining that I like voluntarily tithing better.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality