Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-02-2017, 05:04 PM

22,981 posts, read 10,321,048 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
Mmmm...bacon...mmm...lobster....

But I'm with you on the birds. I ate a seagull once and it didn't taste very good at all.

But to carry your silly metaphor even further: I believe biblical literalists are the "cockroaches" of religion.

The birds are creatures of the heavens, SPIRITS. The birds are in the left hand, the left shoulder, the left eye, as a spirit who comes through the left eye.

Unclean birds, Unclean spirits come to feed Elijah.

Ravens Feed Elijah
…5So he went and did according to the word of the LORD, for he went and lived by the brook Cherith, which is east of the Jordan. 6The ravens brought him bread and meat in the morning and bread and meat in the evening, and he would drink from the brook. 7It happened after a while that the brook dried up, because there was no rain in the land.…

Pay no attention, Just Babyling.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2017, 06:29 PM

31,374 posts, read 20,077,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannibal Flavius View Post
The birds are creatures of the heavens, SPIRITS. The birds are in the left hand, the left shoulder, the left eye, as a spirit who comes through the left eye.

Unclean birds, Unclean spirits come to feed Elijah.

Ravens Feed Elijah
…5So he went and did according to the word of the LORD, for he went and lived by the brook Cherith, which is east of the Jordan. 6The ravens brought him bread and meat in the morning and bread and meat in the evening, and he would drink from the brook. 7It happened after a while that the brook dried up, because there was no rain in the land.…

Pay no attention, Just Babyling.
Birds have strong spirits, indeed. And if you are fortunate -- one (or two, or more) -- may lend you aspects of theirs to help you along your path.

Old 12-06-2017, 06:10 AM

2,296 posts, read 3,114,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cruxan View Post
Lol, humans don't even make the top 20 :-D

Old 12-06-2017, 11:00 AM

22,981 posts, read 10,321,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdrin57 View Post
When the Law was given to the Jews centuries ago it was a perfect Code from the Creator. He more than anyone knew when he gave it, the reasons behind it. Including why pork and things like shellfish weren't to be eaten. The were unclean. When Jesus came the Law code was done away with Rom 10:4 Gal 3:19-24 including food prohibition. Except blood, from food that was strangled and sacrificed to idols as seen in Acts 15:28, 29.
Although pork is very thoroughly checked health wise for humans to eat nowdays it reminded me of my ex husbands experience he had of his Vietnam days.
While stationed at Nui dat they were on the trail and a village they came across had been blown up. He said the pigs ate everything that was there. To this day he doesn't eat pork and neither do I.
Beware the man who owns a pig farm, you could toss a human amongst 25 pigs, and there would be nothing left in 5 minutes except the head.

Old 12-06-2017, 01:27 PM

6,115 posts, read 3,064,105 times
I skimmed through some pages: Lots of answers to justify pig's hygiene and it's biological effects, but I haven't seen many detail attempts to reply to the part of OP's question where he asks, "Pork meat dangerous (SPIRITUALLY)?"

How is eating pork meat dangerous spiritually?

I am going to try to attempt to answer this part but a couple of disclaimers. These are my personal opinions, and not necessarily to put down anyone's ideas/believes/dietary practices etc.

So,
Disclaimer 1: For our Atheists friends. Since the subject involves "spiritual effects" on you for eating pork meat, you guys may ignore the entire post because many of you, theoretically and ideally, do not believe in the existence of a spirit. Obviously a spirit has no scientific, tangible, and repeatable evidence of existence.

Disclaimer 2: For our those friends who are believers in God but DO eat pork meat. My answer is NOT directly pointing towards you. This is my personal faith and belief. Whether you eat pork or don't pork because your God said so or not - it doesn't really bother me, and it's not my business either.

So here it goes,

Generally, when we go out on a quest to investigate a certain religion, it's definition of God and his message, and the practices and rituals etc - we use our intelligence and logic to do our own research and try to figure out whether it makes sense to us or not?

The challenge is, our knowledge is limited to figure out EVERYTHING. We will perhaps NEVER know EVERYTHING!

So when we investigate the doctrine of a certain religion, our knowledge and our intelligence can take us to a certain point before they reach their limit.

But before reaching to this limit of one's knowledge and intelligence, one can gain enough confidence (based on his investigations) to know whether he can take the final leap in the faith or not? Because that final leap in faith..................................... is blind!

Human logic, intelligence and knowledge will help you to a certain point in your investigations of a religious doctrine - but not all the way. You will NOT understand EVERYTHING because you don't know everything.

So, once that final leap in faith has been taken, the believer does not look back if some certain questions cannot be figured out (because his knowledge and intelligence have already reached their limit) - so he uses FAITH and he believes in God by attempting to obey without question.

Many believers understand that there are questions that have logical answers by their faith and it makes sense to them, and also there will always be questions that he would not understand *BUT* he has FAITH that obeying God will benefit him in some form.

Many believers who have done their investigations and have taken that final leap in faith, do not feel the need to find the answers to unanswered questions, anymore.

They don't spend more time investigating things even further AFTER they have taken that final leap. They believe that the investigation phase is over. They have done enough investigation to form the faith.

And now, it's time to support that faith by putting an action behind it. And that action is to follow the do's and dont's as per recommended by their faith, in this short life.

Why we refrain from eating pork meat?

No 1. reason: Due to our faith in God.

There is no more need left to explain any further; however, since the question in OP asks the spiritual aspect of it, here is the reason, IMO.

No 2. We believe in faith that eating pork meat has a bad influence on our spirits which may increase the chances of potentially practicing incest. And we don't want to indulge in the practice of incest that's why we don't eat pork meat.

We feel this way because this is one classical characteristic of pig. It relishes incest.
(and as the saying goes, you are what you eat).

Now,
May be there are SOME people, who do NOT eat pork meat, but are or have been involved in the incest practice? Yes, it's possible.
May be there people do DO eat pork meat, and have NOT practiced incest? It's possible, indeed.

But that's not our concern to worry about, and it's neither our business. We simply follow our faith in God.

-----------------------------------------------------

And this is a true personal life experience.

Long time ago when I used to live in a dorm, a female fellow student once got into a Q/A session with me, one evening in my room.
Not sure whether she was an Atheists or Agnostic but she didn't seem a big fan of having faith in God. And she obviously didn't follow any dietary law of faith.

There were some other friends in the room too, and we were having a warm cup of coffee in a snowy weather.

So the conversation lead to Pork meat. And she wanted to know why we don't eat pork meat?

I gave her all the answers up till the Reason No 1 as above.

I wanted to avoid any awkward and/or disrespectful conversation but she kept insisting with counter answers. She was getting slightly aggressive seeing the victory as she thought she had me cornered.

I finally told her reason No 2.
The room went quite for a few moments as she seem to went in some sort of shock.

I was looking down avoiding to make an eye contact since there was this weird silence in the room. I wished if the subject could be changed.
But when I finally looked at her after a few moments, there were a couple tears following down her cheeks.

This is what she said, I remember till this day, "You know, your faith is right. When I was growing up, the first person who slept with me was my father, and the second was my brother".

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Last edited by GoCardinals; 12-06-2017 at 01:39 PM..

Old 12-06-2017, 01:49 PM

18,902 posts, read 6,912,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manss View Post
who instruct Christians to use this meat at first? whereas in Jesus time nobody ate pig's meat. Saint Jesus himself ate from sheep's meat a bit often?
1. It tastes really really good. If you've never eaten bacon, you're missing something. Seriously.

2. In Genesis 9:3 it states that all of mankind can use all animals for food. We are no longer under the Mosaic Law, which prohibited pork, as Romans 10:4 states that Jesus is the end of the Law.

Old 12-06-2017, 03:12 PM

28,432 posts, read 11,511,785 times
bacon.

Old 12-06-2017, 08:02 PM

50,082 posts, read 20,563,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCardinals View Post
I skimmed through some pages: Lots of answers to justify pig's hygiene and it's biological effects, but I haven't seen many detail attempts to reply to the part of OP's question where he asks, "Pork meat dangerous (SPIRITUALLY)?"

How is eating pork meat dangerous spiritually?

I am going to try to attempt to answer this part but a couple of disclaimers. These are my personal opinions, and not necessarily to put down anyone's ideas/believes/dietary practices etc.

So,
Disclaimer 1: For our Atheists friends. Since the subject involves "spiritual effects" on you for eating pork meat, you guys may ignore the entire post because many of you, theoretically and ideally, do not believe in the existence of a spirit. Obviously a spirit has no scientific, tangible, and repeatable evidence of existence.

Disclaimer 2: For our those friends who are believers in God but DO eat pork meat. My answer is NOT directly pointing towards you. This is my personal faith and belief. Whether you eat pork or don't pork because your God said so or not - it doesn't really bother me, and it's not my business either.

So here it goes,

Generally, when we go out on a quest to investigate a certain religion, it's definition of God and his message, and the practices and rituals etc - we use our intelligence and logic to do our own research and try to figure out whether it makes sense to us or not?

The challenge is, our knowledge is limited to figure out EVERYTHING. We will perhaps NEVER know EVERYTHING!

So when we investigate the doctrine of a certain religion, our knowledge and our intelligence can take us to a certain point before they reach their limit.

But before reaching to this limit of one's knowledge and intelligence, one can gain enough confidence (based on his investigations) to know whether he can take the final leap in the faith or not? Because that final leap in faith..................................... is blind!

Human logic, intelligence and knowledge will help you to a certain point in your investigations of a religious doctrine - but not all the way. You will NOT understand EVERYTHING because you don't know everything.

So, once that final leap in faith has been taken, the believer does not look back if some certain questions cannot be figured out (because his knowledge and intelligence have already reached their limit) - so he uses FAITH and he believes in God by attempting to obey without question.

Many believers understand that there are questions that have logical answers by their faith and it makes sense to them, and also there will always be questions that he would not understand *BUT* he has FAITH that obeying God will benefit him in some form.

Many believers who have done their investigations and have taken that final leap in faith, do not feel the need to find the answers to unanswered questions, anymore.

They don't spend more time investigating things even further AFTER they have taken that final leap. They believe that the investigation phase is over. They have done enough investigation to form the faith.

And now, it's time to support that faith by putting an action behind it. And that action is to follow the do's and dont's as per recommended by their faith, in this short life.

Why we refrain from eating pork meat?

No 1. reason: Due to our faith in God.

There is no more need left to explain any further; however, since the question in OP asks the spiritual aspect of it, here is the reason, IMO.

No 2. We believe in faith that eating pork meat has a bad influence on our spirits which may increase the chances of potentially practicing incest. And we don't want to indulge in the practice of incest that's why we don't eat pork meat.

We feel this way because this is one classical characteristic of pig. It relishes incest.
(and as the saying goes, you are what you eat).

Now,
May be there are SOME people, who do NOT eat pork meat, but are or have been involved in the incest practice? Yes, it's possible.
May be there people do DO eat pork meat, and have NOT practiced incest? It's possible, indeed.

But that's not our concern to worry about, and it's neither our business. We simply follow our faith in God.

-----------------------------------------------------

And this is a true personal life experience.

Long time ago when I used to live in a dorm, a female fellow student once got into a Q/A session with me, one evening in my room.
Not sure whether she was an Atheists or Agnostic but she didn't seem a big fan of having faith in God. And she obviously didn't follow any dietary law of faith.

There were some other friends in the room too, and we were having a warm cup of coffee in a snowy weather.

So the conversation lead to Pork meat. And she wanted to know why we don't eat pork meat?

I gave her all the answers up till the Reason No 1 as above.

I wanted to avoid any awkward and/or disrespectful conversation but she kept insisting with counter answers. She was getting slightly aggressive seeing the victory as she thought she had me cornered.

I finally told her reason No 2.
The room went quite for a few moments as she seem to went in some sort of shock.

I was looking down avoiding to make an eye contact since there was this weird silence in the room. I wished if the subject could be changed.
But when I finally looked at her after a few moments, there were a couple tears following down her cheeks.

This is what she said, I remember till this day, "You know, your faith is right. When I was growing up, the first person who slept with me was my father, and the second was my brother".

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Wel...that's an honest and clear statement of your views. And I have to give mine. The reliance on faith is validation of nothing at all. Appeals to religious or spiritual reasons for refusing to eat this or that is without serious rationale. If you believe the religion, you have to do what it says, or you have invented your own version of that religion.

Now, there are objections to prok, and I'm aware of them, just as I'm aware objections to fish that are 'bottom -feeders'. There were serious problems with cows. If through technology there problems are not a serious medical isue, then using them as a reason to back up religious proscriptions is invalid.

Ick at pork ..I can't recall- exuding something through the skin, but I can't think what... is irrelevant and no validation of the religious proscription.

There's vegetarianism, of course, And I don't argue with the rationale there. But that's a different matter, and not reliant on faith - claims or religious dogma.

Old 10-28-2019, 06:31 AM

2,176 posts, read 1,311,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
That prohibition is part and parcel of all Mesopotamian cultures that existed before the Jews did.

If you stop and think about it, it isn't really nothing more than common sense. The problem with pigs is that many virus, especially influenza, can jump to humans, and very quickly decimate a population. The same is true with many of the fowl that are banned. In general, eating meat from any scavenging animals is unhealthy because of the threat of either viral or bacterial infection, or the threat of toxicity from heavy metals. We really have no idea what water quality was like at that time. For any number of reasons, a river or lake could be contaminated with toxic elements, like mercury, uranium or thorium (see southern India where the beaches are highly radioactive due to thorium and uranium washing out of the rocks in the Himalayas).

So you have scaleless fish, like gar and catfish who scavenge and bottom feed, absorbing mercury, chromium salts, lead, thorium, uranium, et al, and then you eat the fish and you are contaminated. It can cause birth defects and other health problems.

Medically...

Mircea
King Mackerel is very high in pollutants: mercury, BPA, etc
Beef can carry bovine encephalopathy: can not be destroyed by cooking afaik
Both are kosher/halal.

Pork if properly cooked to 160-165 - would not have any pathogens.
Pigs needed too much water, grain, shade to be raised and did not provide anything to a farmer unless slaughtered ( like milk, wool, eggs other animals could provide during their life time)
So pigs competed with people for resources of water and food. It was not efficient to raise them.

Some researchers say pork was possibly a tabu as roasted it resembled human babies flesh which were part of the sacrifice traditions (according to Torah it was done by “the neighbors” of Israelites tribes?)
So it was written off as prohibited

Last edited by Nik4me; 10-28-2019 at 06:42 AM..

Old 10-28-2019, 07:11 AM

4,143 posts, read 1,850,418 times
It's my understanding that a reason for the prohibition against eating pork (and certain other foods) is because that's what the Gentiles ate, and the Jews are supposed to be a people apart from others. If we were to eat the same foods as the Gentiles then we would be more likely to join the Gentiles in their public feasts, and thereby become more easily assimilated.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality