Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2016, 06:05 PM

23,150 posts, read 10,449,759 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manss View Post
who instruct Christians to use this meat at first? whereas in Jesus time nobody ate pig's meat. Saint Jesus himself ate from sheep's meat a bit often?

Eating pork is a reference to a person who greatly disrespects the law. The prodigal son becomes a swine herder and this is just telling you that he left his father's word and disrespected the word of God and became as a dead man until he repented and came back.

Isaiah 66 is a reference to a person who stands against everything that is called of God or that is worshipped in God's worship system and commandments.

"Those who sanctify and purify themselves to go to the gardens, Following one in the center, Who eat swine's flesh, detestable things and mice, Will come to an end altogether," declares the LORD.

Old 06-27-2016, 08:27 PM

32,530 posts, read 22,033,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzaphkiel View Post
the question is "it is dangerous unclean biologically spiritually" and the answer is yes
the food we eat has a definite effect and impact on both our physical health, and our spiritual health

it is not "nonsense" to seek to avoid those foods which can harm us physically, and harm us spiritually

regardless of a person's religious or spiritual views "you are what you eat"
which is why many people avoid pork
I see it as HaShem created certain animals for consumption and certain animals for environmental maintenance...HaShem said that these shall be food for you and these shall not be food for you...Receding to the Christian writings, if, in fact, they were written by Jews to Jews, then it is a fact when they spoke of "food" that they were referring to food in relation to the dietary laws, not what the Toy in may have considered food...And since it was Paul that wrote that and he allegedly being a Jew then he would be understanding the use of the term food in reference to the Dietary Laws...

Old 06-28-2016, 01:54 AM

6,115 posts, read 3,088,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
There is nothing at all unclean or bad about pork...I suppose in the day when your qura'n was written some folks got trichinosis from eating improperly cooked pork and since they did not understand the real cause they blamed it on the pork... Trichinosis: MedlinePlus Medical Encyclopedia
"When your Quran was written" ......??

And why did Moses and Jesus refuse to eat pork meat and taught their followers to refrain from eating pork?

Old 06-28-2016, 02:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdrin57 View Post
When the Law was given to the Jews centuries ago it was a perfect Code from the Creator. He more than anyone knew when he gave it, the reasons behind it. Including why pork and things like shellfish weren't to be eaten. The were unclean. When Jesus came the Law code was done away with Rom 10:4 Gal 3:19-24 including food prohibition. Except blood, from food that was strangled and sacrificed to idols as seen in Acts 15:28, 29.
Although pork is very thoroughly checked health wise for humans to eat nowdays it reminded me of my ex husbands experience he had of his Vietnam days.
While stationed at Nui dat they were on the trail and a village they came across had been blown up. He said the pigs ate everything that was there. To this day he doesn't eat pork and neither do I.
Thumbs up!
One of the filthiest and nastiest of all animals.

If Jesus were to come back today to stop his followers from eating pork, he will probably be put on the cross again.

Old 06-28-2016, 06:09 AM

11,110 posts, read 9,814,649 times
I used to work with a Muslim - not a particularly observant one, as far as I could see, but I imagine the porkophobia was as much an ingrained cultural practice as a religious rite - who explained to the rest of us pork-chop eaters* that humans lacked the proper enzymes to digest pork. Why one sort of mammal flesh required different enzymes to digest was something he never could explain.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzaphkiel View Post
my understanding is that pigs are "bottom feeders" and will eat basically anything including feces and dead diseased animals.
and that shellfish are the sea equivalent of "bottom feeders" and we avoid eating them for the same reason.
Avoid them for this reason makes zero sense.

When a pig eats a turd, that turd doesn't get lodged in its flesh. It gets broken down by the digestive process into its constituent molecules, which are the same regardless of whether they came from a turd or somewhere else.

Take a drink of pure, distilled water. Where do you think those water molecules have been? I've got news for you - they've been everywhere. They've been muck at the bottom of the sea. They've been urinated and defecated by all sorts of animals throughout the ages. They've been in blood and pus and semen and all other manner of bodily fluids. They've been in fetid pools and rotting carcasses.

But now, in your glass, they're just water molecules. They're fine. And so it is with all the molecules that began in some turd that a pig gobbled down, but now have been nicely rearranged into a succulent rack of ribs.

Eat up!

* - I also used to work overnights, and my coworkers and I would sometimes watch a public-access show put on by some weird religious group who would read from the Old Testament and among the things/people they would rail against were the 'pork-chop eaters!'. Very strange. But it was amusing at four in the morning.

Old 06-28-2016, 06:19 AM

7,943 posts, read 6,066,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ukrkoz View Post
There are reasons that the meat of the pig becomes more saturated with toxins than many of its counterpart farm animals. The first reason has to do with the digestive system of a pig.
A pig digests whatever it eats rather quickly, in up to about four hours. On the other hand a cow takes a good twenty-four hours to digest what it’s eaten. During the digestive process, animals (including humans) get rid of excess toxins as well as other components of the food eaten that could be dangerous to health.
Since the pig’s digestive system operates rather basically, many of these toxins remain in their system to be stored in their more than adequate fatty tissues ready for our consumption.
Another issue with the pig is that it doesn’t have any sweat glands. Sweat glands are a tool the body uses to be rid of toxins. This leaves more toxins in the pig’s body.

https://draxe.com/why-you-should-avoid-pork/

Was very thoughtful of our ancestors to warn us of this.
First of all, time of digestion* has nothing to due with build up of toxicity.

And secondly, lacking sweat glands has nothing to do with speed or processing of toxins, and the amount of toxins from diet excreted in sweet is minute, plus there are oil glands that can do the same thing... In fact, both cows, chickens (eat seeds and bugs), and pigs lack sweat glands. Of animals I've heard about, only horses have sweat glands, do you eat horse meat?

*Because cows eat grass (cellulose) and pigs eat roots and bugs (starch and protein), cellulose happens to take longer to digest than starches and proteins. And bugs back then weren't exposed to that many toxins, regardless chickens also ate bugs.

All animals sometimes accidentally eat their own or other species feces and this causes parasites eggs and cysts (which survive digestion but not heat-cooking) to get lodged in their intestines or flesh.
Shellfish have been common staples of human diet for a long time, which is why human-dependent parasites have become ingrained to use shellfish as vectors in order to get to us. Pork (and Bears) happens to sometimes get parasitic cysts on it's flesh that can cause brain/organ-damage and death in humans. Freeze and Cook your foods properly and you'll be fine. Furthermore, cows, chickens, and sheep can also have parasitic cysts in their flesh, or parasitic eggs tainting their meat, but these parasites (are for now) not as big a deal as the pork ones. Cats can a lot of times have parasites in it's stool that hurt pregnant women and developing fetuses. Dog fleas can give you intestinal worms (if you accidentally eat them, which happens). Almost all foods can be contaminated (excessively) with dangerous (or turned dangerous) bacteria such as Salmonella.

Chickens are also partly omnivores and will eat dead bodies in blown-up Vietnamese villages if given the chance. This is why Hindus consider Cows so sacred, they are the most herbivorous of animals that I'm aware of. But they too will eat feces if it's tainting some delicious grass.

Last edited by LuminousTruth; 06-28-2016 at 06:55 AM..

Old 06-28-2016, 06:26 AM

17,071 posts, read 10,920,829 times
As an exercise in futility I waded through the whole thread and find two basic approaches that should be of interest: "God said it so just do it" and "the reason for this is...."

What is most fascinating is that some of those who say "God said it" about OTHER things say "the reason is..." about this.

What interests me most about the "God said it" approach is the idea that God would declare something wrong or "abominable" apparently on a whim: no rationale needed or used. The "might is right" approach if you look at it. What is most interesting is the insane extremes this can be carried to as in the current requirement in Jewish culture that meat and dairy have NO chance of mixing.... based on the prohibition against seething a kid in its mother's milk. Even a superficial look at that prohibition with the idea of finding a reason should indicate that it is a specific example of black magic or necromancy practiced in Canaan of the time, and the idea is to refrain from such magic (the use of magic or formulae to obtain benefits is an insult to the grace of God, but that's another subject). I'd say that mindless following of the formula prohibiting meat and dairy is a form of the magic the original prohibition was intended to curtail.

On the other side of the question, Jesus said that it is not what you put into your mouth that defiles you, but what comes out. Obviously that is a bit of hyperbole, but the point remains that there are comestibles that under some conditions are dangerous but not under others, and some that may be harmful if taken in too great a quantity. The human body is amazing in its capacity to process some toxins without harm, but that also varies greatly from person to person. The trick is to know what works for you, and not to require others to be bound by your limitations.

Old 06-28-2016, 06:46 AM

7,943 posts, read 6,066,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCardinals View Post
"When your Quran was written" ......??

And why did Moses and Jesus refuse to eat pork meat and taught their followers to refrain from eating pork?
Jesus is actually quoted as saying that eating pork is fine. "Nothing (of food) that goes into your mouth can defile you, but only what (the words) comes out of your mouth can defile you."

Pork was often given people's garbage food waste to eat, so a group that chose not to eat it (even if properly cooked) could thus see themselves as better. Same with shellfish since it was understood that they survived (and likely relied on) on poop (fish poop, etc). People grew both pork and shellfish back then in order to make money.

Old 06-28-2016, 09:02 AM

16,155 posts, read 12,858,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeekerSA View Post
Clue is you should not eat the fat.
Pffft! Meat is tasteless these day...and all because they remove the fat! Give my a good pork chop with an inch of fat on it than these skinny 'lean' things you find today.

Old 06-28-2016, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuminousTruth View Post
Jesus is actually quoted as saying that eating pork is fine.
hahaaaaaaa!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality