Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2012, 06:21 PM

912 posts, read 827,134 times

Advertisements

I already gave a conclusion on this....its not my conclusion though....its the only conclusion.

Last edited by Blue Hue; 01-13-2012 at 06:30 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2012, 04:48 AM

7,801 posts, read 6,374,746 times
And the best conclusion I can find is that the man really said what the quote says he said which is that if a woman has had an abortion (past tense) then this gives license to any man (present tense) to abuse her body in any way with no limits. That is what the words say, so not sure how we can conclude otherwise.

Old 01-17-2012, 01:12 AM

11,798 posts, read 25,187,018 times
Simply put, there is no justification for rape.

Old 01-17-2012, 08:57 AM

3,483 posts, read 4,045,428 times
Google Translate gives this (from the text the OP provided):
But to kill a defenseless child, ...
And to do his own mother!
That gives men the discharge, without limitation, ...
abusing the woman's body ...
tragedy because she swallows ...
... and swallows it like a law:
I don't have much to say beyond that, except that it's difficult to draw any conclusions from a translation if one is focusing on certain words and phrases - it is a translation after all, and it does not reproduce the exact words of the speaker. It never can. And the above is a "robotic" translation, which can make it even more awkward.

For instance - we could idiomatically read the first and second lines to show that some one/people raped a mother ("to do") and killed her baby. But this is an idiomatic reading, based on English usage of the word "do" in parallelism with "screw" (funnily, another idiom that I must use because of forum rules). The idiom suggests the sexual act as performed from the perspective of one of the people engaged in it - rather than "to have sex with" or "to be a partner" (other common phrases), "to do" is much more vulgar and one-sided. Thus, with "abusing the woman's body" the possibility of rape, yes?

Anyways - just an example of how difficult it is to try to make sense out of a translation, and a good textbook lesson on why a believer (since this is a Religion/Philosophy forum) should be careful when arguing from specific words in a translation. Those very words may be compromises that the translator has chosen, or idiomatic phrases that have an entirely different meaning in another language.

As to the actual contents - I have no idea from this small snippet. Has it been determined yet exactly what this fellow was saying?

Old 01-17-2012, 09:09 AM

That is why we did not use Google Translate but got a native speaker.... and not just any native speaker but one close to Granada where the Bishop is..... to translate it for us. So you would be better to stick the translation I gave rather than something from a Robot.

Old 01-17-2012, 09:40 AM

3,483 posts, read 4,045,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nozzferrahhtoo View Post
That is why we did not use Google Translate but got a native speaker.... and not just any native speaker but one close to Granada where the Bishop is..... to translate it for us. So you would be better to stick the translation I gave rather than something from a Robot.
I agree, to a degree - but where, has it gotten us there?

Old 01-17-2012, 09:42 AM

Where has it gotten us? Where do we want it to get us? I think it enough to highlight the disgusting opinions of anyone in a position of any power and influence so people can see them for the truth of what they are. What more do we need to "get"?

Old 01-17-2012, 09:46 AM

2,798 posts, read 2,677,083 times
There must be a way to find the full text of this, so that the translation can be done in context.

Old 01-17-2012, 09:50 AM

It can not be that hard to find given I linked to it in post #3

Old 01-17-2012, 12:13 PM

2,798 posts, read 2,677,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nozzferrahhtoo View Post
It can not be that hard to find given I linked to it in post #3
DOH!
Sorry, I missed that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality