U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
 
Old 01-12-2012, 10:47 AM
 
164 posts, read 153,902 times
Reputation: 90

Advertisements

First, before there is any disagreement about what atheism is, I'll put the Merriam-Webster defenition down for all to see.

Definition of ATHEISM

1
archaic : ungodliness, wickedness

2
a : a disbelief in the existence of deity b : the doctrine that there is no deity

Now that we've established what atheism is, it is important to know the significance of this.

Essentially, this means there is no God, so ultimately there is no judge, so what you did while you were living has no consequences in the afterlife.

Suppose that society has become predominately atheist, with only a single digit percentage of people who believe in the existence of a deity.

All the top people in leadership in this globalized society are atheists as well.

While this may appear to be a utopia to atheists, I don't believe this will be the case and I will explain why.

At the root of atheism again is No God. No God means no consequences.

So you're indoctrinating chilren to believe that they can do whatever they want as long as they can get away with it.

And while some atheists believe in an afterlife, most believe that you will fade away into non-existance. I believe this is the preeminent thought, so I will use this to support my claim.

This is important because you've also indoctrinated the children to believe that they only live once, and life is short, so they should make the most of it while they can.

So you are bringing up a generation of people who believe they have no ultimate consequences and a very limited time to live.

Suppose these children, indocrinated to atheism at a young age, grew up and are in leadership positions.

The world in this scenario is in at least the same status it's in today or worse, which means that we have massive environmental problems combined with overpopulation.

If, in my mind, humanity is reduced to nothing more than meat and bones and I'm in a leadership position with one life to live, and I can see the world crumbling before me, mainly because of excess population, what benefit would it serve me to keep these people around?

Now if I can collaberate with other world leaders, and we all realize that overpopulation is the problem in society, what would stop us from commiting genocide against the people in society?

It would make absolutely no sense for us to keep them around because in this society, arrogance, greed, and love of self will most likely be the dominating factors.

I've become indoctrinated at a young age to believe that I can do anything I want and now I'm at the top of the world with the capability to do anything I want and have no consequences as far as man's law is concerned because like Judge Dred said, "I am the law."

So essentially, if we consider the world to be a big piece of pie, why should I let the people eat from my plate if my appetite has not been satiated?

Why should I live in squalor when I have the entire world at my hands?

I only live once, so should I make the most of my life. Besides, what value are people when they are merely dust in the wind and will fade away into non-existance?

Can anybody give me a reason why if this were to happen, something like this wouldn't occur?

Or even more specifically, can someone tell me if hypothetically, it was me in that leadership positon, why shouldn't I kill the majority of the population and enslave the rest? I don't believe in consequences. In fact, if there is a God, it might even be me. Hell, I'm the most powerful man in the world. I'm sure this thought would creep into my mind as I become drunk with power.

So as an atheist who only has one life to live, is there any reason for me not to go through with this?

And you can say it's a morality issue, but I disagree because this is a Darwinistic society. Only the STRONG survive. And if you are too weak to take advantage of your belief structure, you will not make it in this world.

And I know people are going to automatically attack my character and say, "It's sad if you need God to tell you how to behave."

That's not the case, but suppose it is. It's irrelevant. Just the fact there is someone out there like me proves my point. I would take full advantage of my atheist belief system.

The main pursuit of my life would be pleasure. I would have sex with married women if I could get away with it, steal when I could get away with it...etc...

What difference does it make? Even if a person dies, it's as if they are mere dust.

Why should I adopt rules and restraints? Doesn't anybody ever ask themselves these questions when they deride Christians and pat themselves on the back for being so smart?

And while there have been people in the past that have commited atrocities in the name of Christianity, they have done so in DIRECT CONFRONTATION with the words of Jesus Christ.
Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-12-2012, 10:54 AM
 
Location: South Africa
5,563 posts, read 6,109,183 times
Reputation: 1785
Err we have secular laws duh!
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-12-2012, 10:57 AM
 
164 posts, read 153,902 times
Reputation: 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeekerSA View Post
Err we have secular laws duh!
Secular laws didn't prevent Hitler from murdering millions of people. It didn't protect the people against Stalin either.

How many years ago did this occur?

When you get to that point you can define the law. The law will change with the status quo of society.

Things like euthansia will likely be common place. Why wouldn't they be?
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-12-2012, 11:00 AM
 
428 posts, read 377,312 times
Reputation: 540
Just because a person is atheist doesn't mean they are inhumane. I'll counter that an atheist society would be MORE inclined to treat others fairly because the focus will be on this one life we have, and not on pleasing one's god (which in itself can mean behaving immorally to do so).

With atheism, we will have more opportunity to focus on doing what's good for the whole of humanity, again not to please one of the many gods out there today. When more of us start having strength in our abilities as humans to decipher what good ethics are, that's when our world will be a better place. Secular laws are already in place for deviant behaviors like the ones you think you'd do. Luckily, the majority of humans want to do good works for goodness' sake. But for the minority who wouldn't, that's what the court system is for. No belief in God necessary.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-12-2012, 11:01 AM
 
164 posts, read 153,902 times
Reputation: 90
In the eyes of leadership, this is a "what can you do for me" type of society.

If you don't offer anything that can improve MY lifestyle, nor are you a beautiful female I can use for sex, what value are you?

You are souless and of average intelligence. You are a dime a dozen.

There is no reason you should be kept around to ruin my standard of living. Would you think that my actions aren't justified?
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-12-2012, 11:03 AM
 
Location: Sinking in the Great Salt Lake
12,860 posts, read 18,305,358 times
Reputation: 13670
Wow, you are a rabid atheist hater, aren't you?

Instead, maybe we should force people to believe in real-life insitutions that wield real-life power over people's lives and proclaim their authority and guidence is perfect and comes directly from an incredible all-powerful, all-wise being. You know, kind of like this:


Dear Leader Kim Jong Il The Great Brilliant Commander - YouTube

That doesn't have potential for abuse, does it?
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-12-2012, 11:04 AM
 
164 posts, read 153,902 times
Reputation: 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by notyouraveragebear View Post
Just because a person is atheist doesn't mean they are inhumane. I'll counter that an atheist society would be MORE inclined to treat others fairly because the focus will be on this one life we have, and not on pleasing one's god (which in itself can mean behaving immorally to do so).

With atheism, we will have more opportunity to focus on doing what's good for the whole of humanity, again not to please one of the many gods out there today. When more of us start having strength in our abilities as humans to decipher what good ethics are, that's when our world will be a better place. Secular laws are already in place for deviant behaviors like the ones you think you'd do. Luckily, the majority of humans want to do good works for goodness' sake. But for the minority who wouldn't, that's what the court system is for. No belief in God necessary.
Moderator cut: deleted/offensive People in power will not care about you specifically.

They will see that overpopulation is the main cause of societal problems, so they will solve this by cutting down the population and restoring the world to a more harmonious state with the environment.

That WILL be good for what's left in humanity, and who's left are those that are strong and can make these sort of decisions, fully confiding in their atheist doctrine.

Last edited by june 7th; 01-12-2012 at 01:39 PM..
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-12-2012, 11:05 AM
 
428 posts, read 377,312 times
Reputation: 540
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kansarado View Post
Secular laws didn't prevent Hitler from murdering millions of people. It didn't protect the people against Stalin either.

How many years ago did this occur?

When you get to that point you can define the law. The law will change with the status quo of society.

Things like euthansia will likely be common place. Why wouldn't they be?
Hitler wasn't alone in his killing. There were millions of Christians in Germany who could've taken a stand against the injustices of Nazism. Why didn't their Christianity give them the moral strength to defeat Hitler's evil doings? Isn't morality a mainstay of Christianity and most other religions?
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-12-2012, 11:07 AM
 
428 posts, read 377,312 times
Reputation: 540
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kansarado View Post
Moderator cut: orphaned People in power will not care about you specifically.

They will see that overpopulation is the main cause of societal problems, so they will solve this by cutting down the population and restoring the world to a more harmonious state with the environment.

That WILL be good for what's left in humanity, and who's left are those that are strong and can make these sort of decisions, fully confiding in their atheist doctrine.
If the majority chooses who is in power and laws are in place so that person can be taken out of power if they default on their promise to citizens, then there is no more of a problem than today.

Last edited by june 7th; 01-12-2012 at 01:39 PM..
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-12-2012, 11:11 AM
 
428 posts, read 377,312 times
Reputation: 540
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kansarado View Post
In the eyes of leadership, this is a "what can you do for me" type of society.

If you don't offer anything that can improve MY lifestyle, nor are you a beautiful female I can use for sex, what value are you?

You are souless and of average intelligence. You are a dime a dozen.

There is no reason you should be kept around to ruin my standard of living. Would you think that my actions aren't justified?
The same could be thought of any corrupt leadership, regardless of what their belief is in the supernatural. A compassionate person, theist or atheist, will not be like what you described. And more so, an atheist will not have the pre-judgment from religious dogma and indoctrination that a theist will likely have.
Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2017, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top