Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2009, 01:05 PM

4,655 posts, read 5,068,266 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itz View Post
Deuteronomy 22:5 (New International Version)

5 A woman must not wear men's clothing, nor a man wear women's clothing, for the LORD your God detests anyone who does this.

And if we were living in the desert among the ancient Israelites that would apply.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2009, 01:12 PM
Itz

714 posts, read 2,199,023 times
Also.. another reference in regards to womans dress.

1 Timothy 2
In regards to "Instructions on Worship"
9I also want women to dress modestly, with decency and propriety, not with braided hair or gold or pearls or expensive clothes, 10but with good deeds, appropriate for women who profess to worship God.

Old 03-19-2009, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Also.. another reference in regards to womans dress.

1 Timothy 2
In regards to "Instructions on Worship"
9I also want women to dress modestly, with decency and propriety, not with braided hair or gold or pearls or expensive clothes, 10but with good deeds, appropriate for women who profess to worship God.

That's actually the point that I was trying to make.

Let them dress modestly. Paul then goes on to say what "modest" is. Standards of modesty change from culture to culture, but I believe it can be summed up in "don't dress in such a way that it makes people forget what they are there for".

Old 03-19-2009, 03:44 PM

7,915 posts, read 18,622,146 times
Why is it that it's always the women who are supposed to be humble and modest but it never seems to apply to the men? I'll bet the rich men wore clothing that boasted their wealth when they went to church or anyplace else and it was acceptable and even expected while a woman is supposed to behave like a meek little mouse.

Old 03-19-2009, 08:48 PM

63,799 posts, read 40,068,856 times
The only relevant guidance in the Bible is "spiritual" . . .NOT cultural or societal. This asinine focus on cultural and social issues is anachronistic and ridiculous. We are not a primitive pastoral society of ignorant and uneducated shepherds.

Old 03-20-2009, 07:53 AM
Itz

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdbrich View Post
That's actually the point that I was trying to make.

Let them dress modestly. Paul then goes on to say what "modest" is. Standards of modesty change from culture to culture, but I believe it can be summed up in "don't dress in such a way that it makes people forget what they are there for".
I completely agree with you. Times have changed dramatically over the ages. Whats modest in South Dakota isn't the same as modest in Southern california. .. Due to temperatures and cultural background.

My VERY religious Grandmother goes along the lines of - modesty is not flashy.. dress as not to draw attention to yourself but dress respectful and in accordance of your environment and peers. (just her views on "proper dress".

Old 03-20-2009, 08:00 AM
Itz

Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaGuy View Post
Why is it that it's always the women who are supposed to be humble and modest but it never seems to apply to the men? I'll bet the rich men wore clothing that boasted their wealth when they went to church or anyplace else and it was acceptable and even expected while a woman is supposed to behave like a meek little mouse.
Yes, but in biblical times women were the child bearers and took care of the home and man. They didn't have a career, the right to vote and they didn't have the right to handle monetary items. They were just a step above a servant/slave..
From my studies of the bible... its apparent to me that most of the teachings in there are historical value that were based on cultural needs and control. (just a base sentence to describe what I've gotten out of it..).

In many other cultures woman were treated the same way.. especially relating to the hormonal cycle and the woman was believed to be "unclean" and not allowed to attend any type of religious ceremony (i find this very interesting due to the fact MANY different religions also have this theory and way of life - during that time frame)...

Old 03-20-2009, 08:05 AM

Quote:
Yes, but in biblical times women were the child bearers and took care of the home and man. They didn't have a career, the right to vote and they didn't have the right to handle monetary items. They were just a step above a servant/slave..
From my studies of the bible... its apparent to me that most of the teachings in there are historical value that were based on cultural needs and control. (just a base sentence to describe what I've gotten out of it..).

In many other cultures woman were treated the same way.. especially relating to the hormonal cycle and the woman was believed to be "unclean" and not allowed to attend any type of religious ceremony (i find this very interesting due to the fact MANY different religions also have this theory and way of life - during that time frame)...
Actually, the churches that Paul was writing to were likely in Hellenized cities largely influenced by Greek culture. There were a lot of women in position of wealth and power in the New Testament.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaGuy View Post

Because men are pigs. We tend to think really nasty, dirty thoughts about women when we see them dressed certain ways. Whether or not that's right, and whether or not we should control our desires...it's just a fact.

It's also because women tend to "compete" with what they wear. There are exceptions...but when a man wearing a nice suit walks into a room most of the time the other men there won't huddle together and try to poke fun at the guy or talk bad about him.

Old 03-25-2009, 05:37 PM

1,577 posts, read 2,252,083 times
I believe that the Bible is relevant today -- every bit of it from Genesis through Revelation. Some of us choose to live by it, some choose to live by the parts they like, and some choose to scoff at it and those who adhere and sanctify it. I choose to live by it in knowledge.

When the Bible says not to wear men's clothing, the purpose is that women are not to try to look like what they are not. It has nothing to do with pants and skirts. When it says to dress modestly, it means exactly that: that we are not to dress in such a way to draw attention to ourselves whether it is skin-exposure, wealth exposure, or whatever.

However, if women did not work outside their homes, handle money, purchase land, ect., it is time to throw out the last chapter of Proverbs, because it is a lie as are other parts of the Scriptures.
A study of what "unclean" means would benefit.

Old 03-25-2009, 05:59 PM

7,915 posts, read 18,622,146 times
Itz wrote:
Quote:
I realize this and that's the problem I have with it. When you realize how badly the male dominated human race has dealt with every imaginable problem we have faced it makes me wonder if a society that was ruled by both males and females might have done a better job. There seems to be an aggressive and destructive element in male rivalry and females seem to bring a different dynamic to the situation. I think it's quite likely that if nations were run by women that they would have the common sense not to start world wars, commit mass murders, and all of the other atrocities that we associate with people like Hitler and Stalin.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality