U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-02-2007, 12:34 PM

Location: My heart is in Wyoming, my body is soon to follow.....
745 posts, read 3,615,438 times

Advertisements

to go and worship God?? Where I grew up you got talked about(which is a whole other discussion) if you wore say jeans to church. I wore kulots(spelling?) once and my Gramma told me not to wear them again. Probably because of the other ladies looks. Anyway, does it say anywhere that God cares what we wear??
Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2007, 12:40 PM

7,788 posts, read 10,443,690 times
Default Wait, wait, wait just a minute...

PANTYHOSE!?

Old 09-02-2007, 12:49 PM

3,490 posts, read 2,373,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Earniefan View Post
to go and worship God?? Where I grew up you got talked about(which is a whole other discussion) if you wore say jeans to church. I wore kulots(spelling?) once and my Gramma told me not to wear them again. Probably because of the other ladies looks. Anyway, does it say anywhere that God cares what we wear??
It doesn't. God cares about the attitude of your heart, not what you are wearing, in my humble opinion. It's sounds like you were at a southern Baptist or a Pentacostal church. Believe me, I know all about their almost obscene fascination with what everyone is wearing...

IMO God is no faultfinder, always looking for things to condemn in us. He estimates us at our best, not our worst. And not wearing a dress and pantyhose to church on Sunday is probably not on His list of things out of whack in the world, if you ask me. I'm sure He's simply glad you thought of Him enough to attend a place of worship.

"Christ is become of no effect unto you, whosoever of you are justified by the law; ye are fallen from grace." -Bible, Galatians 5:4

Old 09-02-2007, 01:22 PM

1,393 posts, read 869,178 times
I believe this is how each generation was raised. We have to remember some of our parents didn't even talk about being pregnant!!

My mom's big thing was wearing a dress as far as pantyhose we were little so she didn't worry about that, but we had too always wear a dress. She would say you are going into the "HOUSE of THE LORD" and you must look like a lady for HIM.

We have fallen away from at least presenting our "BEST". You don't have to go over board but modesty and remembering your not at a fashion show will help the old timers!!

Old 09-02-2007, 01:23 PM

3,684 posts, read 10,839,295 times
Oh it's not just a southern thing...I grew up in a Catholic church in NYC and we were not allowed to wear pants (forget about jeans) to mass, not even on Saturday evening mass. Thankfully I grew up and realized that is was indeed ok to be casual at church. I however do think even if you are casual you should look neat and presentable and modest. It not only shows respect for God but for the other parishioners that are in attendance.

Last edited by irishmom; 09-02-2007 at 01:30 PM.. Reason: typo

Old 09-02-2007, 02:07 PM

3,927 posts, read 7,724,269 times
I also grew up with the dresses and hose mandatory. Now don't get me wrong, but I understood then and do now why we did this.

People used to not have very much at all. But what they did have a lot of was reverence and respect for God. Around here, whenever people were going to church or to another 'important' function be it to vote, visit the sick in the hospital, or something out of the ordinary, they wore what they termed their 'Sunday Best'.

It was a way of showing respect to the people they were visiting. Men wore trousers and women wore dresses. We must remember, women wearing trousers is mostly a new style, only in the past 30 years or so even in office settings.

I believe as well that God knows our hearts and that is the most important reason for going to church, not the latest styes, yet, on the other hand, I also want to show God my love by being the best I can be for Him, and that means showing respect and dressing nicely be it dress, skirt, or trouser.

It is not so much what we wear, as much as it is a clean and neat appearance at least that is what I try and strive to do, LOL, that does not mean I condone mini skirts or things like that, because to me that is disrespectful in a christian setting.

If we show God half heartedness, why would He show us His full measure of grace and love?

Last edited by aiangel_writer; 09-02-2007 at 03:16 PM.. Reason: my opionion on what is most important bolded

Old 09-02-2007, 02:32 PM

3,540 posts, read 5,958,358 times
Did they have pantyhose back then?

Old 09-02-2007, 02:35 PM

13,459 posts, read 21,197,034 times
Where I used to be a member the men made all the rules and every now and then the preacher would give a little sermon on what was pleasing to the lord for the ladies to wear to ChurchIt was always a cutsey little sermon full of sweet little condescending remarks to the women who in turn would nod in agreement. Then go home and wear what they pleased.,,Personally I think that God is just pleased that you feel the need to gather together with your brothers and sisters and worship him, and not have worldly fashion ins and outs on your mind. Personally, I see nothing wrong with a woman wearing a pants outfit to church. I think everyone should be clean and smell clean, out of respect for the people who are setting nearby.

Old 09-02-2007, 02:58 PM

Location: My heart is in Wyoming, my body is soon to follow.....
745 posts, read 3,615,438 times
Quote:
It's sounds like you were at a southern Baptist or a Pentacostal church.
Actually I grew up in Aurora, Nebraska a town of 4000 people. We attended the United Methodist Church, but this "dress code" was and is prevalent for all of the churches in our community and for miles around.

I remember my Gramma commenting on a man who started attending our church who wore jeans. She said something to the affect that at least he was attending church, and him not knowing any better than to wear jeans to church. Know wonder I struggle so much with what other people think about me. That's the biggest concern of most of the people I grew up around. My husband bless his heart could give a crap what anyone thinks about him, he lives for himself and for me. As long as we are okay with what we're doing then who cares what someone else thinks, who are they? I agree with him but it's a struggle for me. It's something that's been bred into me and it's hard to stop caring. Anyway, I don't think God much cares what we're wearing as long as we're there for the right reasons. But I still can't bring myself to wear jeans or something similar to church and that just irks me! lol

Old 09-02-2007, 03:58 PM

2,886 posts, read 7,357,638 times
We should be modest in apparel according to the apostle Paul's teachings
to the churches of Asia. I would prefer that some in the body of Christ (Church)
would not be too casual, as to where we go along to get along" there's way
too much compromise lately, when you have men in the church saying that
some women are dressing too revealing", there's a great deal to be considered.
Paul mentions that the "older women" instruct the younger women in the affairs of the church, I'm not trying to be cynical, but I'm trying to keep it
real here. When a female dresses for worship, she has to know that what she
is wearing is appropiate or not. Unless she doesn't bother to look in the mirror.
Giving them the benefit of the doubt, women have to consider, who are they
trying to impress? Themselves, men, or God..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or