Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2012, 07:10 PM

1,481 posts, read 2,159,500 times

Advertisements

One has to ask just how desperate are so called Mormon missionaries.
A couple of young lads had a crack at me, now I believe in Tu, the god of war, no wimpy turn the other cheek types for me.

But even when I told them this and I mentioned I enjoyed tobacco, single malt whiskey, tea ,coffee and premarital sex as often as possible it still did not have them running off in terror.

But the most amusing part was them telling me that whiskey, coffee, etc etc etc were bad for me and I could die younger.

So the question is, do Mormons believe a long boring virtuous life is better than one where one has all the pleasures available to excess ?

Old 01-15-2012, 07:15 PM

28,091 posts, read 29,952,204 times
Mormons are amusing? You're very easily amused, aren't you?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nzrugby View Post
So-called? Why so-called? Why not just missionaries? Isn't that what they were? And what did they say that made you think they were desperate? You evidently left out quite a bit of your conversation with them because I didn't sense any desperation in the discussion you described.

Quote:
A couple of young lads had a crack at me, now I believe in Tu, the god of war, no wimpy turn the other cheek types for me.

But even when I told them this and I mentioned I enjoyed tobacco, single malt whiskey, tea ,coffee and premarital sex as often as possible it still did not have them running off in terror.
Good for them. You obviously weren't the first person they'd ever come up against who thought they'd respond by "running off in terror." You were probably one of their milder encounters. (Sorry if that disappoints you.)

Quote:
But the most amusing part was them telling me that whiskey, coffee, etc etc etc were bad for me and I could die younger.
I guess you'll have to let me in on the joke. I somehow don't see how dying younger than necessary is particularly funny. (Look on the bright side. At least they didn't tell you you were going to burn in hell after your early demise, did they? The reason they didn't is that that's not what they believe is going to happen to you.)

Quote:
So the question is, do Mormons believe a long boring virtuous life is better than one where one has all the pleasures available to excess ?
Nope, but it doesn't have to be one extreme or the other. Mormons don't believe that a long, virtuous life need be boring. Take me, for instance. I love to travel and there isn't anywhere in the world I wouldn't jump at the chance to visit. I love to try new things. A year ago, when I was 62, I went skydiving off the north shore of Oahu. It wasn't boring, either, I can assure you. Plus, it was an experience I didn't need to be stoned to appreciate.

My mother lived to be 96 and could have told you what the stock market closed at up until about a week before she died. She was a woman who broke the glass ceiling in the banking industry here in Utah back in the 1940s. She was happy and loving, and I don't think she had an enemy in the world. What an incredible, long, virtuous life she had!

Last edited by Katzpur; 01-15-2012 at 07:36 PM..

Old 01-15-2012, 08:18 PM

3,202 posts, read 4,433,212 times
Quote:

What was desperate about any of that?I suppose they seem desperate because they were still willing to talk to you despite the fact that you consider yourself a lost cause?Its their job to talk to people...i guess they thought you qualify.

Why would they 'run off in terror'?You must not be as scary in person as you are in your mind. Do you think that most mormons are isolated from people who drink or smoke cigarettes?My wife enjoys tobacco,coffee,tea,and whiskey too and no one from church runs from her either....well sometimes I do but I know what she is capable of...

I've done all the things you listed earlier in my life....what is so 'exciting' about smoking a cigarette?Mormons are 'allowed' to do all kinds of exciting things without running afoul of the church.Autoracing,sailing,snow mobiling,dirtbike riding,skydiving,skiing,scubadiving,hunting,fishin g,camping,surfing,etc are all ok.Perhaps you are doing a lot of exciting things and just failed to mention them?

Well if they made you laugh at least something good came from your talk with them.

Old 01-15-2012, 08:20 PM

2,469 posts, read 3,131,179 times
Quote:
Yes.
And I'd say you & they are both wrong.
There's a middle way...
Not being paranoid of our own sexuality nor of our own polar opposites of good & evil...
Yet, not going to excess with anything that will hurt ourselves &/or others.

P.S. I am Mormon... but I only accept Mormon beliefs & practices that are in line with morality, the essence of God (LOVE) & common sense.

Old 01-15-2012, 08:49 PM

7,525 posts, read 16,980,527 times
Quote:
Apparently being dead is a problem for them and they cannot fathom why anyone would chose otherwise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
I guess you'll have to let me in on the joke. I somehow don't see how dying younger than necessary is particularly funny.
I don't find it amusing, but incredibly annoying when missionaries of any kind attempt to tell me what I should believe. Obviously I am either senile or otherwise incapable of thinking for myself according to the latest flavor of truthiness purveyors. Quite honestly, I am usually pretty rude to such butwads unless, of course, I decide to harass them for my amusement. It can be fun when I tell them that I AM God, or that the devil and I have reached an understanding. If they are going to impose on me, unasked, what I have to share with them probably won't be that close to the truth anyway. Arguing with zealots is counter productive so I end up having fun at their expense. Of course they are free to walk (or ride their bike) away.

Old 01-15-2012, 09:00 PM

3,202 posts, read 4,433,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodpasture View Post

. It can be fun when I tell them that I AM God, or that the devil and I have reached an understanding. .
Well they may find such answers equally amusing...

Old 01-15-2012, 09:11 PM

28,091 posts, read 29,952,204 times
Quote:
I don't find it amusing, but incredibly annoying when missionaries of any kind attempt to tell me what I should believe. Obviously I am either senile or otherwise incapable of thinking for myself according to the latest flavor of truthiness purveyors. Quite honestly, I am usually pretty rude to such butwads unless, of course, I decide to harass them for my amusement. It can be fun when I tell them that I AM God, or that the devil and I have reached an understanding. If they are going to impose on me, unasked, what I have to share with them probably won't be that close to the truth anyway. Arguing with zealots is counter productive so I end up having fun at their expense. Of course they are free to walk (or ride their bike) away.
Well, clearly it takes all kinds. Knock yourself out.

Old 01-15-2012, 10:31 PM

13,933 posts, read 12,893,585 times
Quote:

If you think thats amusing you should have a look into the origins of mormonism, particularly it's founder, Joseph Smith..... A true testament to the old tride and true saying "if you build it, they WILL come"

Cue Katzpur's response.

Old 01-16-2012, 01:13 AM

600 posts, read 1,933,213 times
Quote:
Apparently being dead is a problem for them and they cannot fathom why anyone would chose otherwise.

Well then maybe try telling them that you're not interested instead of ridiculising yourself by saying you're God or Satan...

Do you really believe that scares anyone?

Old 01-16-2012, 01:29 AM

11,798 posts, read 25,183,065 times
Last time they came to my door, I just told them I am an atheist. They were horrified, although one of them debated me for a short while. I have no animosity for them; after all, they are young and they have to go around doing that for two years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality