Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2012, 08:51 AM

2,472 posts, read 3,198,096 times

Advertisements

I tell them I'm an atheist, and if they have a problem with it, they'll get over it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2012, 10:09 AM

1,224 posts, read 3,374,593 times
I tell them the truth, I found a church that I am comfortable in.

Old 01-18-2012, 10:33 AM

28,353 posts, read 16,381,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tillman7 View Post
I had a conversation with a friend who attends church on yesterday.

Friend: Do you go to church?
Me: No
Friend: Why?
Me: I want no part of that hypocrisy
Friend: Are you an atheist?
Me: That's my belief, you have yours and I have mine

What is the best way (polite) to handle a conversation like this?

Uh, say "OK, cool. We can agree to disagree. I respect your decision."?

I don't see what's so difficult about this.

Surely you and your friends don't agree on EVERYTHING, right? Why is this different?

I have lots of friends that are religious and attend church regularly - it doesn't seem to get in the way of our friendship at all. <shrug>

Old 01-19-2012, 12:26 AM

7,975 posts, read 7,351,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
OK...take that "probably" out of my sentence above. I WOULD have laughed for sure. Loudly.
The sermon also covered the typical Catholic bashing (they are the "mark of the beast") and the approaching "Sunday Laws" (where people will be persecuted for not worshipping on Sunday). The service was Seventh Day Adventist (DH's parents' church). I don't know if this is typical SDA, or if it just expressed the viewpoint of the lay preacher. The church is small (about 20 people), so they don't have a regular minister. I do feel bad for them, DH's parents donated a lot of money for the building of a new sanctuary, and they have so few members, but the preaching (the little bit I've heard, anyway) seems so whacky.

Old 01-19-2012, 10:34 AM

40,050 posts, read 34,603,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tillman7 View Post
I had a conversation with a friend who attends church on yesterday.

Friend: Do you go to church?
Me: No
Friend: Why?
Me: I want no part of that hypocrisy
Friend: Are you an atheist?
Me: That's my belief, you have yours and I have mine

What is the best way (polite) to handle a conversation like this?
I don't think you handled it badly, at all.

Old 01-19-2012, 08:39 PM

164 posts, read 838,442 times
Just tell them what I do if they persist...... "God made me an atheist, are you questioning his wisdom?"

Old 01-20-2012, 03:00 PM

2,817 posts, read 3,461,778 times
many times church going can become a form of bondage. I stopped going about a year ago and i know have a better relationship with God. I would just tell your friend what does he consider church. if his answer is to go every sunday to listen to a person preach all the time then that is not really biblical church. it is a passive enviroment where you cannot participate and you become a mute spectator. not what Christ had in mind when he began His church
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality