U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2007, 12:03 AM

543 posts, read 2,198,265 times

Advertisements

Hello, I am a SDA wondering if there are any other SDAs on the board?

If you are not a Seventh Day Adventist reading this, what is your view about us? Since I've always been Adventist, I don't know how people who don't follow the same church as I do view us.

Thanks if you reply
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2007, 06:36 AM

7,099 posts, read 23,357,916 times
I'm not, but my aunt was. I saw only what she mentioned, I didn't try to learn more. However, there was one thing she did that I thought was completly unexceptable as far as I was concerned.

She was re-baptisted, not only for herself, but also for her parents and anyone else that she thought might need it. Was this just a thing that this particular church did, or is it a common thing? Is it supposed to put those that have already died in some sort of "better Place?"

Old 09-03-2007, 08:02 AM

356 posts, read 1,012,948 times
I had my son in a Seventh Day Adventist Hospital. It was a little country hospital in NC that we specifically chose over the 2 large regional hospitals. They had a holistic view of care. There was no caffeine in the building (you could bring in your own) and they had awesome vegetarian meals (you could order meals with meat if you wanted to), and the whole baby wing had only 6 or so beds in it and a separate water birthing center. A man I assume was a minister or pastor or whatever came into my room and asked me if I wanted to pray and I briefly stated my atheist position and he smiled and asked if he could pray for my baby. I said sure. He was very polite and not pushy and it was a nice silent moment I participated in, in memory of my deceased father. Oh well, I digress. I look forward to seeing what the 7th day folks believe on this thread.

Old 09-03-2007, 02:44 PM

420 posts, read 1,106,357 times
I have a question about SDA. Do SDA believe people who have died can be baptized by proxy (where non SDA are baptized posthumously)?

Old 09-03-2007, 02:57 PM

1,250 posts, read 3,075,938 times
My aunt and uncle and cousins are SDA. The only things that I ever noticed different about them was that they didn't believe in eating meat. They also went to church on Saturday. Neither of those things are important differences. They seemed to change positions on the meat issue from time to time. Was this a church position that changes or were they not following their religious teachings sometimes?

Old 09-05-2007, 07:02 PM

194 posts, read 910,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHICAGOLAND92 View Post
Hello, I am a SDA wondering if there are any other SDAs on the board?

If you are not a Seventh Day Adventist reading this, what is your view about us? Since I've always been Adventist, I don't know how people who don't follow the same church as I do view us.

Thanks if you reply
I'm also SDA.

I would say that many see SDA as a cult or something .

Old 12-17-2007, 06:56 AM

187 posts, read 832,621 times
I have been SDA all of my life and have never heard of anyone being rebaptized for any matter other than reasons of recommitting themselves to serving Jesus Christ. Some have fallen short (adultery, drug abuse, infidelity, fornication, etc) and elect to be rebaptized. Do not confuse us with the Amish (Anabaptists) or the Mormons. We are a Christian institution that follows the Bible to a tee unlike some other denominations who have made doctrines of their beliefs.

Those people who view SDA as a cult are usually completely ignorant and know nothing about us. You should also remember that in any Christian church there is a diversity of sorts that changes from church to church but our pratice and beliefs are the same. Try it for yourself!

Old 12-17-2007, 07:06 AM

10,706 posts, read 30,350,902 times
I was raised an SDA but no longer practice. If you read the sociological definetion of a cult, they don't really fit that. They more closely represent a sect.

I was born in an SDA hospital and so was my daughter. I don't know that there is that much different about an SDA hosptial now a days.

Old 12-17-2007, 07:28 AM

13,393 posts, read 20,725,293 times
Seventh-day Adventists believe that Jesus is one of the three persons, called the Trinity, who make up our one God. The Bible describes Jesus, the Father, and the Holy Spirit as each being committed to our growth as Christians and to our salvation as their children. They made this salvation possible when Jesus came to Bethlehem as a human baby. He lived a life perfectly in accord with God's will and then died innocently for all of our sins. He was placed in a borrowed tomb, but He came back to life three days later. Now he is in heaven interceding with the Father for us, preparing for our deliverance from sin and death.

By the way, how God feels about death is part of the quality life He offers. For followers of Christ, death holds no fear. Remember, Jesus defeated death on Calvary and has given us freedom from death. Cemeteries, then, are filled with followers of God who are in the "peaceful pause before the resurrection." Yes, they are dead, but that death holds no power over their future. Jesus is coming to take them (and those of us who are still living) HOME! Death is almost like a wintery promise of spring.

The seventh day (Saturday) is an extra-special part of the relationship. The Bible, from Genesis through Revelation, describes the seventh day as the one day God has set aside for focused fellowship with His people. God has named that day "Sabbath" and asked us to spend it with Him. "Remember the sabbath day," He says, "to keep it holy." The Sabbath is a whole day to deepen our friendship with the Creator of the universe! A day when we're together, Jesus with us and us with Jesus.

These are basic beliefs of the SDS taken from their website..Sounds Christian to me

Old 12-17-2007, 10:54 AM

8,668 posts, read 19,537,484 times
One of my former pastors said that in his opinion, SDA's had some doctrines that( in his opinion) were unscriptural, but that they were NOT a cult. From what I have heard about SDA's, I would tend to concur with his assessment.

His dividing line on what a cult is and what it is not was based on what a group believes about Jesus. (and by inference, salvation) I think that's pretty on target myself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or