Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2012, 07:46 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,518,209 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickiel View Post
Explain to me what my timeline is? Kindly show me where in this thread I mentioned a timeline? Your claim of my timeline does not exist; And I think your criticism is then absurd.
That nothing happened before religion showed up, when in fact 10's of thousands of years of science existed before religion.

If you think my claim about your timeline is absurd then you have more limitations than I first assumed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2012, 08:05 PM

5,298 posts, read 4,590,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post
That nothing happened before religion showed up, when in fact 10's of thousands of years of science existed before religion.

If you think my claim about your timeline is absurd then you have more limitations than I first assumed.

Show me where I said nothing happened before religion. Show me where I mentioned a timeline. Your claims are absurd because they are false. If they are not false, simply show me what I have requested and the things " You have claimed I said ."

Let me repeat this in case you have a problem reading, because obviously theres something wrong here; Show me where I said or wrote anything about a timeline, and show me where I said anything about nothing happening before religion.

Old 01-17-2012, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEFTIMAGE View Post
Yes, and Ethiopia is the cradle of civilization. When's the last time America turned to Ethiopia for advice on civility? I didn't read through this thread but I'm assuming the OP was glorifying religion.

I agree, religion is a glorious relic of the past. We should cherish it, remember it, NOT CONSULT IT, particularly when it comes to public matters.

The Bible is the most glorious document of it's time (it's time: Stone ages to pre-medieval period). But I think modern children's books offer richer lessons, more complex quite frankly. Heck, I think a Pat Benatar album has better content.

You assume wrong, this thread is not glorifying religion and nowhere in this thread have I even slightly suggested that we should consult it. I am simply giving a history lesson about the orgin of science and poetry, which was in religion, or a search for the divine. Your opinions on the value of the bible, has nothing to do with the history in this thread. No amount of cynicism can change history.

Old 01-17-2012, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Show me where I said nothing happened before religion. Show me where I mentioned a timeline.

Good grief

You said that religion was the "mother" of science.
Quote:
When you were born you had one mother; no matter if you later deny her or make claims against her, shes still your mother. Religion is the mother of science and poetry, and singing.
Then how was science born before the mother existed?

That timeline

Bet there was some singing and prose before their mom existed also

Old 01-17-2012, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Good grief

You said that religion was the "mother" of science.

Then how was science born before the mother existed?

That timeline

I have given no timeline and no limiting dates in history. Religion is the mother of science, because science began as a search for the divine, and there is absolutely nothing you can change about that history. Religion being the mother of science, has no timeline; is not a timeline; has absolutely nothing to do with a timeline.

Old 01-17-2012, 08:48 PM

You have the cart before the horse, and the wheel hadn't even been been invented yet.

Which is mote anyway, for science simply came from the need to understand the natural world, and the first scientific experiments were carried out before mankind had anything more than a rudimentary language.

Old 01-17-2012, 09:01 PM

Quote:
You have the cart before the horse, and the wheel hadn't even been been invented yet.

Which is mote anyway, for science simply came from the need to understand the natural world, and the first scientific experiments were carried out before mankind had anything more than a rudimentary language.

You are absolutely in error, science came from a need to know the divine , it much later evolved into a need to understand the natural world. Science had its beginnings in the divine omen literature of Assyria, according to history. The scientific revolution began as science broke away from the church, which began what we know as " Protestantism", and in its rationalist aspect, that started what history calls " The Scientific Revolution."

And the three founding fathers of Physics, Psychology and Biology; Issac Newton, John Locke and John Ray, all english Protestants, all were religious amateur theologians. That is historical fact. Thats not the cart before the horse, thats you not understanding the history of the cart and the horse.

Old 01-17-2012, 09:40 PM

Quote:
You are absolutely in error, science came from a need to know the divine
It came from the need to make a tool or weapon to obtain food.
It came from the need to start a fire to keep warm and provide light
It came from the need to treat an animal skin for clothing to keep warm.

The effort to obtain food and shelter occupied all of mans efforts, science made that easier or more efficient.

You can't eat your divine, whatever that is.

Old 01-17-2012, 09:50 PM

Quote:
It came from the need to make a tool or weapon to obtain food.
It came from the need to start a fire to keep warm and provide light
It came from the need to treat an animal skin for clothing to keep warm.

The effort to obtain food and shelter occupied all of mans efforts, science made that easier or more efficient.

You can't eat your divine, whatever that is.

Well I disagree, science is not making tools, eating food, starting fires and designing clothes; we just disagree there. Science is a particular branch of knowledge and the research involved in understanding that knowledge, and it began as a search for the knowledge of the divine; a religious effort to understand the nature of the gods, or a search for God. It then evolved into what you presently understand it to be.

Science wanted to understand if God existed, and if gods existed; that was their first quest.

Old 01-17-2012, 09:59 PM

Quote:
Well I disagree, science is not making tools, eating food, starting fires and designing clothes; we just disagree there. Science is a particular branch of knowledge and the research involved in understanding that knowledge, and it began as a search for the knowledge of the divine; a religious effort to understand the nature of the gods, or a search for God. It then evolved into what you presently understand it to be.

Science wanted to understand if God existed, and if gods existed; that was their first quest.
Well if discovering fire, inventing weapons, tools, the wheel, isn't science, what is it?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality