Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2012, 03:30 PM

2,770 posts, read 2,603,835 times

Advertisements

We are going to live forever regardless of what we want.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2012, 07:13 PM

1,261 posts, read 2,146,349 times
Would I? Hell yes. I've always known that I would be "cut out" for immortality. It's just one of those self-evident things. I don't keep any friends, or lovers, and don't/won't have any close ties of any kind, and with my extreme tolerance for prolonged periods of boredom, I think I'd handle it relatively well.

I'd take it as long as it were still possible for me to voluntarily die at any point of my choosing. Wouldn't want to hang around forever after entropy has reached its maximum, because that'd just suck.

Living Forever is Awesome!

Old 01-18-2012, 07:24 PM

17,717 posts, read 13,533,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
I would not want to outlive my children. However, I think I could take up a few dozen lifetimes doing interesting things.

That would be depressing for sure yet on the other hand you could see that thier children and grandchildren were safe and you could be that stange uncle who comes to visit with worldly advice.

Old 01-18-2012, 07:27 PM

17,717 posts, read 13,533,813 times
It really depends for me IF there was some way I could have my current GF with me and she was immortal then by all means yes. I truly enjoy life but I wouldn't want it without her. Yeah I'm a sap.

Old 01-19-2012, 05:30 PM

281 posts, read 256,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terryj View Post
I watch a show last night called "Through the Wormhole" it was about "Immortality", I'd like to discuss this on a philosophical sense and not a religious sense. I'm not talking about immortality as in indestructable but in the ability to live forever.

Questions:

How would immortality impact relationships? Would relationships with families stay intact. If you knew that people lived forever how would your approach be toward them.
My answer, I think that society would become emotionless, most emotions stem from the temporary nature of life, our fear of loss.

How would the human species evolve to deal with overpopulation?
We are products of our envionment, would be evolve to have less children, instead of the female being born with about 400 eggs could the female evolve to have only 2 or 3 eggs.

If you had the chance, would you want to live forever? For me, maybe not forever, but a few hundred years would be interesting. I'd love to see where human nature is going to take us.

These are just a couple of questions, I'd like to hear your questions and thoughts on this subject.
It would be boring after a few million, billion, trillions years.

Old 01-19-2012, 06:01 PM

460 posts, read 593,054 times
I view this "immortality" question from a position of frustration.

Imagine that you are at the lowest rung of the ladder in any profession, hobby, or occupation.

The "great ones" will always be the "great ones."

There is no mobility. You and I will always be in last place.

There will be no growth. Stagnation will occur. We will long for death, an ending.

Couple that with the dire prospect of having to stick around on this silly little world. Yuck! We just invented a real Hell.

A while back, there was a Star Trek episode whereby the intrepid crew of the Enterprise caught up with Leonardo DaVinci (living on another planet). Having lived for centuries on end, he was finally dying. And as upset as Bones was over this "great one" dying, Leonardo was grateful that it was all finally coming to an end.

---------

Sure, it would be nice to see how "it all turns out" after a few centuries. Unfortunately, the attention of the world would be focused on you, should immortality be only for the few.

I feel that we already know how things are going to turn out: we've been there, done that before. We, as a species, rise and fall. We reach a certain technological point, and then we are back to subsistence existence. In all the iterations of mankind over thousands of centuries, we have failed to evolve as humans, to surpass the very destructive, innate forces within ourselves.

"We are nine meals from chaos." Love that line. As long as we are fat, dumb, and happy, we can live as a society and deal with almost any problem. But take away our "lifelines" (e.g., technology), and we revert back to the worst of animals.

I'd rather not be around when that happens. My luck, however, is that I will be reborn to the survivors, eeking out a pointless life for what?

Old 01-19-2012, 06:22 PM

2,616 posts, read 2,398,343 times
I've crunched the numbers and figured that I had enough in investments to last me to the 80-90 year old range. If I had counted on immortality I wouldn't have retired at 55.

Old 01-19-2012, 07:42 PM

10,607 posts, read 11,657,736 times
Speaking of immortality, here's an interesting trailer to a very unique movie that is very worth the time to watch.

The Man From Earth [trailer] (2007) - YouTube

Old 01-19-2012, 08:01 PM

344 posts, read 396,070 times
Personally, given the information I have amassed concerning living and my life, I would like to live forever, given the option. There would be a few conditions however. I would have to be healthy throughout. I would not want to live alone in a world destroyed by nuclear destruction, a plague, or some such thing. But if every year could be like any of the last five or six years, I can see no reason why I would not want to go on forever.

Old 01-19-2012, 08:03 PM

1,707 posts, read 6,210,579 times
As much as we all want to live, I would not want to outlive my entire family, children, grandchildren etc. Imagine the pain.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality